UPDATED: Get Velocity Gold status by booking premium economy tickets to LA
Unlock frequent flyer perks including lounge access, priority check-in and additional baggage with this Virgin Australia Velocity frequent flyer status and flight offer.
Available to selected Velocity members, this limited-time promotion gives you Velocity Gold status when you book two Virgin Australia Premium Economy fares to LA before 20 May 2018 and enter your Velocity membership number at the time of booking. You'll also need to fly from Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane and complete your travel by 30 November 2018 to be eligible for this offer.
Previously, we mentioned that details of the offer have been sent out to Velocity members but are not available on the Virgin Australia or Velocity websites. Virgin Australia has since confirmed that the offer is only available to selected members, so you may want to check your email account for this promotion. If you're eligible, here are the main points to keep in mind:
- Promotional period. This offer is available when you book eligible travel between 9 April 2018 and 20 May 2018.
- Travel period. Your booking must be for travel between 9 April 2018 and 30 November 2018.
- Eligible guests. Both travellers must be active Velocity members and you'll need to include your frequent flyer numbers on the booking. Only the primary traveller will get Gold Status though.
- Eligible flights and fares. You must fly in Premium Economy class with Virgin Australia, on a flight that has one of the following flight numbers: VA1, VA2, VA6, VA7, VA8, VA9, VA23 and VA24. The Premium Economy fare must be one that would usually be eligible to earn points (ie not a rewards flight booking).
- Status upgrade time. To give Velocity enough time to upgrade you to Pilot Gold, make sure there are 10 days between booking your flight and travelling on the flight.
It's also worth noting that you need to actually complete the travel booking to get gold status. So booking these flights then cancelling them would see you go back down to your original Velocity status.
What is the value of gold status?
If you're not familiar with the perks available to Velocity Gold members, some of the highlights include complimentary Virgin Australia Lounge access, as well as entry to over 150 international lounges when you travel with Virgin Australia and its airline partners, additional baggage allowances, priority check-in and boarding, the option of taking an earlier flight and up to 75% more points for eligible flight bookings.
Normally, you'd also have to earn 400 Status Credits and fly in 4 eligible sectors to earn Gold status. So how does this compare to taking advantage of this premium economy offer?
While the price of two premium economy return fares will vary based on factors such as availability and demand, a search on the Virgin Australia website today shows return premium economy fares starting from $2,912.34 per person for flights from Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane in September 2018. There were also some fares priced at more than $4,000 per person, so it does vary a lot.
While that's more than you'd pay in economy, it's still a very fast and affordable way to reach Velocity Gold status if you can book flights and travel within the promotional period. You can also check out other Virgin Australia flight promotions and deals that could help you save on flights and rack up Status Credits for other destinations in Australia and overseas.
- Ask Finder: What’s happening with my Virgin Australia travel credits?
- Virgin Australia’s future: No Tigerair, no long-haul, all points and credits are safe
- Netflix frequent flyer wars: Coles and Woolworths points deals compared
- 3 million Australians scored airline travel credits this year
- Last chance: 15% extra for Velocity/flybuys transfers