Save 16% on Disney+ with an annual subscription
How to get the Disney+ free trial: A step-by-step guide
Lover of all things Disney? Then you may want to sign up to Disney+. Here's your guide.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
A new era for entertainment behemoth Disney began in November 2019. The highly anticipated streaming TV service Disney+ hit the ground running with a stunning catalogue of over 800 TV shows and movies.
While the service isn't perfect, it was great value or only $8.99/month or $89.99/year.
Those prices rose to $11.99/month and $119.99/year with the launch of a new adult content channel, Star, on 23 February 2021. Given the massive influx of new content, the price increase made sense – you can now binge more adult-oriented shows and movies, including titles like Nomadland, Marvel's MODOK , Deadpool or Scandal.
But what if you want to watch Disney+ for free? Disney+ used to offer a seven-day free trial, but that's no longer the case. As of 19 June 2020, the platform retired its free trial offer, so the only way to stream Disney content is to sign up for a monthly or annual subscription. The trial might be back at a future date, along with other special promotions.
Until then, is it worth signing up for the service? The library has now grown to over 1,000 titles. Plenty of the content on Disney+ is classic content, meaning there is a good chance you have seen a lot of it. Whether it's Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic or Disney itself, this is a catalogue of some of the biggest blockbusters of all time.
Many of the titles are well worth a rewatch, especially if you have children living under your roof, or you may find some classics you are yet to watch. Plus, Disney+ is also streaming original, exclusive content you won't find anywhere else.
New channel Star is also offering a range of adult-focused content, including the Deadpool, Die Hard and Alien movie franchises.
How to sign up for Disney+
Signing up for a Disney+ subscription is a simple process. Just follow these steps:
- Head over to the Disney+ sign-up page.
- You'll see a big blue button that you can press to start your Disney+ subscription. This is where you will need to choose a plan. To be safe, choose $11.99/month – that way, you have an entire month to explore the library and figure out if it makes for a solid long-term investment. You can change to the annual plan in the future if you want to keep the service on.
- MARK THE DATE WHEN THE FIRST MONTH ENDS IN YOUR CALENDAR. That way, you will remember to cancel before being billed for another month if you're not planning to hold on to your subscription for longer.
- On the next page, you need to enter your email address.
- You must then enter a strong password.
- You will need to enter your credit card details to proceed.
- Enjoy as much content as you can that first month to make the most of your money.
- If you're not a fan of the service or the content, follow these steps to cancel your account on or before the day you marked in your calendar.
Disney+ may not be offering a free trial any longer, but the streaming service is often running promotions that can either help you save cash or get additional perks when signing up for a subscription. In the US, for instance, you can get up to six months of Disney+ free when signing up for Amazon Music.
Similar deals have been running with local partners in Australia as well. In 2020, Woolworths Rewards customers could access a 14-day free trial to the Disney+ platform, while Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members were able to enjoy the service free for an entire month. These types of offers may run again in the future, so we advise you to do a little research before hitting the sign up button.
- Watch Cruella in 4K on Disney+ without paying the extra fee
- Billie Eilish x Disney+ Happier Than Ever concert: How to watch online
- How to watch Marvel’s Black Widow online in Australia
- Where to watch Dude, Where’s My Car? online in Australia
- Where to watch Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 online in Australia
- Where to watch Ugly Betty online in Australia
More guides on Finder
How to watch I Know What You Did Last Summer TV series for free
Based on the 1997 classic horror movie.
How to watch documentary film Fauci online in Australia
From the frontlines of one pandemic to the headlines of another.
All the sci-fi and fantasy TV shows coming before Christmas
The future looks bright.
Cheapest way to watch The D’Amelio Show online in Australia
Season 1 of The D’Amelio Show is now streaming.
Watch Cruella in 4K on Disney+ without paying the extra fee
The prequel to 101 Dalmatians is joining the general Disney+ library.
How Optus plans to extend SubHub features and apps
Finder's Optus SubHub interview reveals when new apps will launch, how Telstra's streaming TV services could work, new features and more.
Optus launches SubHub: How does it work and is it worth it?
Optus wants to be your one-stop shop for all your streaming and content subscriptions. With up to 10% off up for grabs, is this actually a good deal?
Paramount Plus review: Boldly going where SVOD has gone before?
10 All Access has evolved into the new streaming service Paramount Plus, but can it offer enough content to stand out?
How to set up Paramount+: A step-by-step guide
Getting Paramount+ up and running on your devices is a walk in the park.
How to get the Paramount Plus 7-day free trial: What does it get you?
A guide on how to enjoy Paramount Plus free for a week.
Stream the best and save
All the biggest shows and movies from HBO and more on-demand.
Try Amazon Prime Video's huge library for 30 days free.
Ask an Expert