Garden design services
Make your dream garden a reality with the help of a professional.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
It doesn't matter whether you've got a tiny terrace or acres of land, a garden design service can help you to turn your outdoor space into that green oasis you've been pining after.
In this guide to garden design services, we cover the type of things they can do for you, how to hire a garden designer, how much it might cost and much more.
What are garden design services?
Sitting somewhere between a landscaper and a gardener, a garden design service will plan the aesthetics and design of your outdoor space. Whether you want to revamp your front or back yard, a garden designer will help you to plan out the layout of the space, and what elements to incorporate into it. These could include:
- Flower beds
- Water features
What does a garden design service do?
A garden design service will guide you through the steps you need to do to turn the ideas in your head into a reality. Most professional garden designers will follow similar steps:
- Initial consultation. The main aim during the first meeting with your garden designer is to establish what vision you have for your garden. Your designer will help you with your design as well as advise you about other things such as planning permission. Here, you'll also discuss the timescale and the cost of the project.
- Concept design. Stage two is where the fun begins. Your garden designer will start to sketch out several ideas for your dream garden until you settle on the one for you.
- Master plan. Once you've chosen your design, your designer will draw up a more detailed plan of the garden, including exact measurements and illustrations.
- Construction phase. Some garden design services will take you right through to the completion of your project, organising third-party contractors, overseeing the work, costing up the project as it goes along and adding the final touches at the end.
How do I hire a garden design service?
One of the best ways to find a high-quality garden design service is through recommendations from family and friends. You can also use online platforms like Airtasker and Oneflare to find gardening professionals. If this doesn't work for you, a quick Google search will reveal hundreds of local garden design services operating in your area.
How much does a garden design service cost?
The cost of a garden design service depends on the complexity of your design, the elements it includes and the size of your plot. The average cost varies wildly between $850, for a small garden with a simple plan, to more than $6000 for a full makeover on a large plot of land. As a general rule of thumb, experts suggest devoting between 15-20% of your whole budget on the garden design service.
How do I compare garden design services?
Comparing and finding the right garden design service for you is one of the most time-consuming tasks you'll take on during the whole process. That's because it's also one of the most important decisions you'll make. Your garden designer can make or break your garden.
The following considerations can help you to compare services:
- Experience - ask for a portfolio of completed past projects, and find out how long they've been working as a garden design professional.
- Qualifications - while qualifications aren't essential, it's good to know what your garden designer's expertise is.
- Payment - find out how they charge and make sure you receive a rough estimate before the work begins.
How should I prepare for a garden design service?
Preparation is key when it comes to a garden design service. You need to have a clear idea of what you want to achieve and be able to communicate this to your designer. Key questions to ask yourself include:
- What will you use the garden for?
- How much time do you have to upkeep your garden?
- Are there features that you definitely want to include in your design?
- What's your budget for the whole project?
Do I need to be at home for a garden design service?
You'll need to be able to attend several meeting with your garden designer before the work begins on your outdoor space. Once the work has started, you may wish to pay your designer to oversee the whole project through to completion so you don't need to be at home all of the time.
Pros and cons of garden design
- A well-designed garden will encourage you to spend more time outdoors.
- Stylish gardens can add value to your property.
- A professional will bring knowledge and advice to the table that you don't have.
- More expensive than doing it yourself.
- The whole process can take weeks or months to complete.
Frequently asked questions
What are the different styles of gardens?
Just a few of the garden styles that you can choose from include:
- Formal gardens
- Japanese gardens
- Meadow gardens
- Urban gardens
- Cottage gardens
- Mediterranean gardens
What is the difference between a garden designer and a landscaper?
A garden designer and a landscape will often work together on a garden project because their jobs complement each other. A garden designer usually acts first, helping a customer to plan out their ideal outdoor space. A landscaper will then come in and turn these plans into a reality by moving earth and stone, paving areas, laying brickwork and planting flower beds. Sometimes, a landscape designer will also act as a garden designer too.
Is there anything a garden designer can't help with?
A garden designer doesn't usually get stuck into the laborious tasks of constructing the garden unless of course, they specialise as a landscaper as well. They can, however, recommend the right people to employ to build your garden once they've designed it.
More guides on Finder
Best speakers in Australia
Treat your ears with the nine best speakers you can buy right now.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 70% off at ASOS, half-price weights bench, 55% off Panasonic Headphones.
Best home security cameras in Australia
These are the best security camera systems you can get your hands on in Australia.
Best air mattresses in Australia
These are the 7 best air mattresses you can buy right now in Australia.
Best camping gazebos in Australia
Whether you’re heading to the beach or the bush, we’ve found the best camping gazebo for you.
Peugeot 508 GT review
It has dashing good looks and stands out from the crowd, but is the Peugeot 508 GT worth your money?
Where to buy a lawnmower online with Afterpay
Keep your outdoor area tidy thanks to the retailers making lawnmowers more affordable.
10 weeks until HomeBuilder ends: Is it too late to apply?
More than 75,000 people have applied for HomeBuilder, far more than the government expected. Is it too late to apply now?
Solar air conditioners
Considering switching from regular air conditioners to solar air conditioners? Find out how.
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
Ask an Expert