PAX AUSTRALIA 2017
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
All the news and announcements from Australia's biggest video game convention in one place.
2017 marks the fourth time the Penny Arcade Expo, or PAX, has brought all the excitement of a video game convention Down Under. With exclusive looks at unreleased games, informative panels from some of the industry's biggest personalities and hectic tournaments spanning all genres and systems, PAX Australia is far and away the highlight of Australia's video game calendar.
When is PAX Australia 2017?
PAX Australia 2017 kicks off at 10:00AM on Friday 27 October and runs through to 6:30PM on Sunday 29 October. Active hours for each of the three days are as follows:
- Day One: 10:00AM to 11:30PM Friday 27 October
- Day Two: 10:00AM to 11:30PM Saturday 28 October
- Day Three: 10:00AM to 6:30PM Sunday 29 October
Where does PAX Australia 2017 take place?
This year's PAX Australia will be held at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, which is located on the outskirts of Melbourne's CBD. If you're not too familiar with Melbourne, the easiest way to get there is to catch a train to Southern Cross Station, then catch either the Route 96 tram toward East Brunswick, the Route 109 tram towards Box Hill or the Route 12 tram towards St Kilda and get off at the Clarendon Street stop opposite the Convention and Exhibition Centre.
Who's going to be there?
Despite our distance from the rest of the world, plenty of big names in the video game industry will be present and accounted for at this year's PAX. Some of the biggest studios and publishers include:
- Bandai Namco Entertainment
- Final Fantasy XIV
- Annapurna Interactive
What are some of the big events at PAX Australia?
The PAX Australia schedule is chock-full of exciting showcases and interesting panels, but here are some of the ones you definitely won't want to miss:
Storytime with Burnie Burns
Co-founder of Rooster Teeth and the creator of the popular Halo machina series Red vs. Blue, Burnie Burns has had plenty of experience in the realm of digital entertainment. He'll be hosting an exclusive panel from 10:30AM to 11:30AM on Friday in the main theatre, where he'll chat about whatever takes his fancy.
PAX Rising is a special section of the PAX show floor dedicated to indie games that the PAX organisers have picked out as particularly special.
PAX Indie Showcase
Like PAX Rising, the PAX Indie Showcase is all about smaller games, but only those that have been developed right here in Australia or next door in New Zealand. Six games have been selected to represent the best of the local game scene:
- Forts - A 2D physics-based RTS where two players build and blow up each other's forts
- Grabity - A two-to-four player brawler involving gravity guns and twin-stick shooting
- Projection - A side-scrolling platformer designed like a shadow puppet play
- Sky Noon - A multiplayer FPS set on floating islands styled after the Wild West
- The Gardens Between - A time-manipulating puzzle game with a gorgeous art style
- Virtually Impossible - A VR party game where players compete in seemingly insurmountable challenges
Over the entire three-day run of PAX Australia, the Omegathon tournament will see 20 players duke it out across a variety of games like Overcooked, ARMS and Ms. Pac-Man. Only two will make it through to the final showdown at 5:30PM on Sunday.