GAMDIAS Hermes P2 RGB mechanical keyboard review
Fast, responsive and reliable, the GAMDIAS Hermes P2 is proof that you don't have to be as big as Razer to build a high-quality mechanical keyboard.
- Optical switches are fast and responsive
- On-the-fly customisation saves you the hassle of installing yet another PC software suite
- Sturdy and durable under even heavy use
- The Windows key is on the right side instead of the left, for some bizarre reason
- I really wish the wrist rest was detachable
There's no shortage of mechanical keyboards to choose from these days. Not only are the big names like Razer, HyperX and Steelseries rolling out new models every few months, you've got smaller brands like GAMDIAS entering the fray with their own clackity-clackers designed to send your digits to typing heaven.
Based in Taiwan, GAMDIAS has been making gaming-focused mechanical keyboards for half a decade now, designing its boards with an eye towards esports and high-level competitive play. One of its latest boards, the Hermes P2 RGB, promises to deliver superior responsiveness thanks to its use of hybrid optical/mechanical switches over the usual 100% mechanical ones. Does it deliver on these claims? Let's take a look.
- Hefty frame maintains stability under heavy use
- Wrist rest is a welcome inclusion – it's just too bad it's not detachable
- Optical switches are more responsive than traditional mechanical switches
- Keypresses are a little stiff, but this doesn't impact speed
- Only 2 programmable macro keys
- Can switch and record macros on-the-fly
- Full RGB customisation, as you'd expect from the name
The GAMDIAS brand might not have the same cachet as Razer or Corsair in the PC peripherals space, but after putting the Hermes P2 RGB through its paces, I have no qualms placing the Taiwanese company right up there with its more-mainstream brethren. Firm, responsive keys and lightning-fast switch activation make it one of the best-feeling keyboards I've used, while the on-the-fly customisation is a godsend for someone with half a dozen different peripheral software suites already installed on their PC.
Whether you're an aspiring esports star looking for a trusty board to take you all the way, or you're a regular desk jockey tired of using el-cheapo models, the GAMDIAS Hermes P2 RGB is well worth considering. It's already become my day-to-day word-weaver, and I don't see it being replaced any time soon.
Pricing and availability
The GAMDIAS Hermes P2 RGB retails for AU$129.00, and you can purchase it in-store from MSY or through a variety of eBay sellers.
GAMDIAS Hermes P2 RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Enjoy the speed and responsiveness of custom optical switches along with full RGB customisation at a very affordable price with the GAMDIAS Hermes P2 RGB mechanical keyboard.
- Bummed with broadband: 11 million Australians aren’t happy with their provider
- 5 tech deals to make working from home better in lockdown: Save $213
- Microsoft Windows 11: Pricing, availability and new features explained
- Does anyone actually need Twitter Blue?
- Full Apple WWDC 2021 roundup: iOS 15, macOS Monterey and more