G Adventures expands National Geographic Journeys for 2019
What to expect from the new South America and Europe tours for next year.
They go on sale this week and are priced from $1,349 per person. Tours last from 6-30 days in length an itineraries are designed to introduce a mix of hot spots and off-the-beaten-path adventures meant to challenge and enrich curious travellers.
Visits to projects and community initiatives that help improve local livelihoods and protect natural or cultural heritage are often also included.
New European tours:
The new National Geographic Journeys builds on the growing interest in Portugal with two new tours. One focusing on Lisbon, Coimbra and Porto and the other giving travellers a full week in Portugal and another in Spain.
In Eastern Europe, a new Hungary and Romania tour launches in Budapest with a stop in Transylvania for a fascinating dose of culture, history, myths and legends at Bran Castle.
New South America tours:
Travellers keen to see South America now have the opportunity to explore Bolivia’s stunning landscapes and explore Northern Peru’s archaeological wonders.
You can find a full list of new National Geographic tours for 2019 here but a handful of the highlights include:
- 8-day Hungary and Romania Highlights from $2,699. Learn about Budapest’s historic highlights with visits to castles and fortified structures. Prepare a traditional meal with a local chef and immerse yourself in the haunting past of Transylvania’s Bran Castle.
- 16-day Peru and Bolivia: Machu Picchu to the Salt Flats from $5,149. Discover Peru’s former Inca capital of Cusco before immersing yourself in the Amazon jungle. HIke the Inca Trail, or catch the scenic train, and then pass into Bolivia to explore its Andean peaks and the famed Uyuni Salt Flats.
- 15-day Iconic Portugal and Spain from $4,599. Follow the fortified wine shipping route in Porto, learn from a local historian’s of Toledo, stand in awe of the Moorish Alhambra and see the colourful streets of Seville in this blend of architecture, history and culture.
- 16-day Discover Central and Eastern Europe from $5,199. On this journey through parts of Austria, Germany, Hungary and the Czech Republic, walk sections of the old Berlin Wall with a historian, visit Egerszalok’s salt springs and water terraces, and dip into thermal bathhouse waters in Budapest.
- 10 most popular travel destinations for Australians in 2021
- South Australia reopens border with NSW: What to know before you go
- Queensland reopens its borders to select NSW areas: Here’s what you need to know
- WA travel vouchers: Who qualifies for the $1 million in free travel?
- Virgin Australia becomes the first Australian airline to offer flexible bookings until 2021