Receive up to $15,000 in funeral cover with American Express
American Express Funeral Insurance, issued by Zurich will provide a lump-sum benefit of up to $15,000 to your loved ones to help cover the costs of your funeral and other expenses in the event of your death. This cover is available to Australian residents aged between 35 and 70 and there are no medical tests or health questions to apply.
This review will outline exactly what is covered by the policy, how premiums are determined and who is eligible for cover.
What features from American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage stand out to us?
- Funeral Benefit. American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage pays a lump sum benefit of up to $15,000 if you die. This benefit can be used by your loved ones to cover the cost of your funeral and other immediate expenses that may arise following your death, helping them to cope with the financial impact of your passing. The minimum amount of cover you can apply for is $5,000.
- Premium cap. This policy features a premium cap so that you never pay more in premiums than the sum insured. Once the amount of premiums paid equals the sum insured, you won’t have to pay any more premiums. Cover then continues until you die or the policy is terminated.
- Worldwide cover. American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage provides cover 24 hours a day, seven days a week, anywhere in the world.
- Guaranteed renewable. If you meet all your obligations under the insurance contract, including paying your premiums on time, this policy cannot be cancelled by the insurer.
Additional options to consider
While not available as an additional option under an American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage, you can also apply for American Express Ezicover Life Insurance. This policy allows you to take out up to $1.5 million of cover, paid as a lump sum when you die or are diagnosed with a terminal illness, and also pays a cash advance benefit of up to $15,000 to help your loved ones cover funeral expenses.
How much will it cost me?
There are several factors that can affect the cost of your American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage Insurance, including:
- The level of cover you select. The higher the sum insured, the more your premiums will be.
- Your age when cover begins. Premiums are generally higher for older policy applicants. But once you have cover in place, premiums do not increase each year.
- Your gender. Men usually pay more for funeral insurance cover than women.
- Your smoking status. Premiums are generally higher for smokers because of the wide range of health risks they are exposed to. A non-smoker is someone who has not smoked tobacco or any other substance for the past 12 months.
- Stamp duty. Your premium amount is also affected by any state government stamp duty charges that may apply.
When will a benefit be paid?
American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage pays a lump sum benefit if you die. Cover is only provided for accidental death in the first 12 months after cover commences or is reinstated. Once this period ends, cover is provided for death by any cause.
Claims must be made to Zurich, the issuer of the insurance. When you need to make a claim, you or your legal representative can contact Zurich’s claims team on 1800 025 015. You will be sent a claim form which you will need to complete and sign, and then post, fax or email back to the insurer.
When won’t a benefit be paid?
During the first 12 months after your American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage policy commences or is reinstated, no benefit will be paid if death is a result of anything other than an accident. In addition, no benefit is payable if the life insured’s death is caused by suicide within 12 months of the commencement of cover or the latest reinstatement of cover.
The maximum combined amount payable for this benefit and any other benefits under a policy issued by Zurich for the same life insured is $15,000.
Who is eligible to apply?
To qualify for American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage you will need to:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- Be residing in Australia on a permanent basis;
- Be between 35 and 70 years of age; and
- Receive the policy PDS in Australia
You can apply for cover online, over the phone or by completing an application form. American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage allows you to apply for a benefit of between $5,000 and $15,000, and there is no expiry age for the policy.
What else do I need to know?
- Insurer. American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage is issued and administered by Zurich Australia Limited, which is a member of the Swiss-based worldwide Zurich insurance Group. One of the largest insurance groups in the world, Zurich operates in more than 170 countries.
- Premium payments. American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage premiums can be paid via credit card or by direct debit from your bank, credit union or building society account. Direct debits may result in an additional fee from your financial institution.
- Cooling-off period. If you wish to cancel cover for any reason after receiving your policy document, you have 30 days in which to do so. Simply notify Zurich in writing and return your policy document, and you will receive a refund of any premiums or charges paid.
- Commission. American Express receives a commission from Zurich for its role as the promoter of this insurance policy.
- Already have cover. If you already have a funeral insurance policy in place when you apply for cover, Zurich will reduce the accidental death and suicide exclusion period on your policy by the number of consecutive months that your existing policy has been in force.
- Cover ends. Cover under your American Express Ezicover Funeral Advantage policy ends when the first of the following occurs:
- The Funeral Benefit is paid
- You fail to pay a premium within 30 days of its due date
- You provide written notification that you wish to terminate the policy
- Your death where the Funeral Benefit is not payable