Can New Zealand citizens living in Australia get funeral insurance?
Yes. If you’re a New Zealand citizen living in Australia, most providers are willing to offer you funeral insurance cover. Cover is available for both New Zealand citizens and permanent residents who are residing in Australia when they apply for cover in Australia. The main eligibility requirement for cover typically concerns your age.
There are many funeral insurance options included in life insurance policies, so if you’d like to make sure you’re covered for funeral insurance it’s a good idea to look carefully at life insurance options too.
The majority of Australian funeral insurance providers will also provide benefits to New Zealand citizens living in Australia. One of the most common features offered is an advance, which is a proportion of the death payment paid quickly to ensure that there are funds available for a funeral. Advances are a proportion of the death benefit, and the numbers given here are the maximum amount that will be paid in advance.
It’s usually safe to assume that as a New Zealand citizen living in Australia you are eligible for the same funeral insurance benefits, but always check the PDS carefully and ask a company representative to confirm.
|Provider||Funeral advancement benefit amount||Age of eligibility|
|AIA||No advance but complete coverage of funeral expenses with certain plans||17-80|
|Aussie Life Insurance||$10,000 advance||18-64|
|Bankwest||Up to $10,000 advance||18-60|
|BT||Up to $25,000 advance||15-69|
|CGU||A range of policies, some of which include advances of varying amounts||18-65|
|Guardian||Total funeral and final expenses up to $15,000, no advance, with triple payment in event of accidental death||18-64|
|HSBC||Lump sum is paid on death or in the event of a terminal illness where one is predicted to have less than 12 months to live||18-65|
|Medibank||Includes death coverage with an advance that varies depending on the plan||16-65|
|NIB||Up to $15,000 funeral cover, all paid as an advance||18-65|
|Real Life Insurance||Up to $45,000 funeral coverage||18-64|
|St.George||Benefits for death or terminal illness that can be used to pay funeral plans||15-69|
|Suncorp||Lump sum payments on death, with premiums never exceeding payout, pending certain conditions TAL||18-60|
|TAL||Lump sum payments on death or terminal illness that can be put towards a funeral, caring for your family or anything else||18-59|
|Virgin Life Insurance||$10,000 advance and many choices, but those over the age of 65 cannot apply||18-65|
|Woolworths||$15,000 advance with full death cover payment in the event of a terminal illness||18-65|
- Fast and simple application process. Funeral insurance for New Zealanders requires little or no medical underwriting, meaning you won’t have to undergo health tests or answer medical questions when applying for cover.
- Automatic acceptance. The vast majority of insurers offer guaranteed acceptance if you are between 45 and 75 years of age.
- Apply online. It typically takes just a few minutes to apply for funeral insurance cover online or over the phone.
- Choice of premiums. Funeral insurance comes with a choice of stepped or level premiums. Stepped premiums start out lower but increase as you age, while level premiums start higher but remain the same each year.
- Choice of cover level. Level premium plans provide maximum benefit amounts of up to $15,000 while stepped premium policies can provide up to $30,000 of cover.
- Capped premiums. Some insurers place a cap on your premiums, meaning that you will never pay more in total premiums than the benefit you receive.
- Continuation of cover. Once you reach a certain age, for example 90 years old, you won’t have to pay any more funeral insurance premiums but your cover will remain in place.
- Lump sum benefit. The funeral insurance benefit payment is offered as a lump sum, allowing your family to cover the cost of your funeral expenses.
- Fast payment. Successful claims are usually paid within one or two business days, giving your loved ones fast access to the funds they need.
- Accidental death cover. Funeral insurance provides cover for accidental death from day one of your policy.
- Worldwide coverage. Funeral insurance for New Zealanders provides 24/7 coverage all around the world.
Most Australian life insurers do allow New Zealand citizens to take out cover, as long as they meet the policy’s age requirements and they are residing in Australia when they take out a policy. Check with your insurer for details on the level of cover available.
If you satisfy the eligibility requirements for life insurance from an Australian provider, you may wish to look for a policy that offers a funeral advancement benefit. This benefit represents a certain portion of the total sum insured, for example 10%, and it is paid quickly following your death to allow your loved ones to cope with any immediate expenses that arise.
The remaining life insurance benefit is then paid to your beneficiaries at a later date.
- Consider your cover needs. Before you start shopping for a policy, make sure you know how much cover you need and the features you want in a policy.
- Read the PDS. The PDS contains a whole host of important information on funeral insurance policies, including everything from the benefits available to the cooling-off period. Make sure you read the PDS closely to determine exactly what a policy does and doesn’t cover.
- Make sure you’re aware how much premiums will cost. Stepped premiums increase every year as you age, so make sure you’ll be able to continue to afford cover into the future.
- Look for a policy with a premium cap. Capped premiums guarantee that you won’t pay any more in premiums than the benefit amount you will receive. If this feature is not included in your policy, you may end up paying substantially more for cover than you would pay for a funeral.
- Read reviews. Check out the reviews and profiles of funeral insurance policies at finder.com.au. You’ll also find plenty of useful information on customer review websites.
- Shop around. Don’t simply sign up for the first funeral insurance policy you find. Compare the features of multiple policies to ensure that you get a good idea of which ones offer the best cover.
- Get multiple quotes. It’s quick and easy to apply for a funeral insurance quote online. Comparing quotes from multiple insurers will help you find value for money.