Can New Zealand citizens living in Australia get funeral insurance?
Yes. If you’re a New Zealand citizen living in Australia, most providers are willing to offer you funeral insurance cover. Cover is usually available for both New Zealand citizens and permanent residents who are residing in Australia when they apply for cover in Australia. Like Australian residents, the main eligibility requirement for cover typically concerns your age.
Before you apply
Make sure you check with the insurance brand. New Zealand citizens who apply for an Australian life or funeral insurance policy may be subject to a few conditions including:
- You must be residing in Australia at the time of application
- You must receive your policy disclosure statement in Australia
There are many funeral insurance options included in life insurance policies, so if you’d like to make sure you’re covered for funeral insurance it’s a good idea to look carefully at life insurance options too.
- Fast and simple application process. Funeral insurance for New Zealanders requires little or no medical underwriting, meaning you won’t have to undergo health tests or answer medical questions when applying for cover.
- Automatic acceptance. The vast majority of insurers offer guaranteed acceptance if you are between 45 and 75 years of age.
- Apply online. It typically takes just a few minutes to apply for funeral insurance cover online or over the phone.
- Choice of premiums. Funeral insurance comes with a choice of stepped or level premiums. Stepped premiums start out lower but increase as you age, while level premiums start higher but remain the same each year.
- Choice of cover level. Level premium plans provide maximum benefit amounts of up to $15,000 while stepped premium policies can provide up to $30,000 of cover.
- Capped premiums. Some insurers place a cap on your premiums, meaning that you will never pay more in total premiums than the benefit you receive.
- Continuation of cover. Once you reach a certain age, for example 90 years old, you won’t have to pay any more funeral insurance premiums but your cover will remain in place.
- Lump sum benefit. The funeral insurance benefit payment is offered as a lump sum, allowing your family to cover the cost of your funeral expenses.
- Fast payment. Successful claims are usually paid within one or two business days, giving your loved ones fast access to the funds they need.
- Accidental death cover. Funeral insurance provides cover for accidental death from day one of your policy.
- Worldwide coverage. Funeral insurance for New Zealanders provides 24/7 coverage all around the world.
Most Australian life insurers do allow New Zealand citizens to take out cover, as long as they meet the policy’s age requirements and they are residing in Australia when they take out a policy. Check with your insurer for details on the level of cover available.
If you satisfy the eligibility requirements for life insurance from an Australian provider, you may wish to look for a policy that offers a funeral advancement benefit. This benefit represents a certain portion of the total sum insured, for example 10%, and it is paid quickly following your death to allow your loved ones to cope with any immediate expenses that arise.
The remaining life insurance benefit is then paid to your beneficiaries at a later date.
- Consider your cover needs. Before you start shopping for a policy, make sure you know how much cover you need and the features you want in a policy.
- Read the PDS. The PDS contains a whole host of important information on funeral insurance policies, including everything from the benefits available to the cooling-off period. Make sure you read the PDS closely to determine exactly what a policy does and doesn’t cover.
- Make sure you’re aware how much premiums will cost. Stepped premiums increase every year as you age, so make sure you’ll be able to continue to afford cover into the future.
- Look for a policy with a premium cap. Capped premiums guarantee that you won’t pay any more in premiums than the benefit amount you will receive. If this feature is not included in your policy, you may end up paying substantially more for cover than you would pay for a funeral.
- Read reviews. Check out the reviews and profiles of funeral insurance policies at finder.com.au. You’ll also find plenty of useful information on customer review websites.
- Shop around. Don’t simply sign up for the first funeral insurance policy you find. Compare the features of multiple policies to ensure that you get a good idea of which ones offer the best cover.
- Get multiple quotes. It’s quick and easy to apply for a funeral insurance quote online. Comparing quotes from multiple insurers will help you find value for money.