Earn rewards both in the air and on the ground with the Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus Frequent Flyer Program.
Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus also rewards frequent flyer status members with extra perks like priority reservations and check-in, extra baggage allowances, airport lounge access, flight upgrades and more. Read this guide to learn more about this frequent flyer program, including how to earn and redeem miles, membership status and other factors to think about before signing up.
How does the Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus program work?
As a member of the Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus Frequent Flyer Program, you are eligible to earn miles on flights flown with Thai Airways or its partners. Other qualifying expenditures with non-airline partners also allow you to earn points, which you can redeem for a wide variety of travel awards.
How can I join Royal Orchid Plus?
Membership is free, and you can easily enrol online at the Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus website by clicking on the “Enroll now!” button. Enrolment takes about five minutes and involves filling out a form with your personal information and contact details as well as your flight details and communication preferences.
How do I earn miles?
There are several ways to earn miles through this program. You can earn miles on your travel with Thai Airways and their travel partners as well as on your spending with its program partners. See more specific details in the sections below.
Miles are calculated as a percentage of the actual miles flown according to your paid fare, flight class and the airline you travel with. Here’s an overview for each airline and partner.
- Flights with Thai Airways. Frequent flyer mile earnings range from 25-75% of the miles flown for discount economy fares up to 150% for Royal First Class fares. Note that the following booking classes are ineligible for miles: O, I, X, E, L, N, R.
- Flights with Thai Smile. Frequent flyer mile earnings range from 25% of the miles flown for international economy Smile Saver fares up to 100% for premium economy Smile Plus Class fares. Smile Promotion fares in the following classes are not eligible for miles: T, K, S, Z, O, E.
- Flights with Star Alliance airlines. Economy class flights earn 100% of the miles flown, business class flights earn 125% and first class flights earn 150% of the miles flown with Star Alliance airlines. Some Star Alliance discounted fares won’t earn miles, so check with your travel agent or the Star Alliance member airline to find out if you can earn miles on specific flights.
- Flights with other codeshare partners. These flights earn 25% of the actual miles flown. This currently applies to Thai/Emirates flights between Bangkok and Dubai, Thai/El Al Israel Airlines flights between Tel Aviv and Bangkok, and Thai/Royal Brunei flights between Bandar Seri Begawan and Bangkok.
While there are currently no credit cards in Australia that let you directly earn Royal Orchid Plus miles, you may transfer points that you earn with a credit card linked to one of the following rewards programs:
- American Express Membership Rewards. Thai Airways is a partner of the American Express membership reward program, which lets you convert 1 Membership Reward point into 1 Royal Orchid Plus mile. To transfer points, log in to your Membership Rewards account online and choose “Transfer my points” under “Frequent Flyer Partners”. A minimum of 5,000 points are required per transfer, and the process takes approximately 5 days to complete.
- Diners Club Rewards. You may convert your Diners Club points at the rate of 2 Rewards points to 1 Royal Orchid Plus mile. You can transfer your points by calling Diners Club or by logging into your Diners Club Rewards account, selecting the “Points Transfer” link and following the prompts.
- Citi Rewards. Only Citi Prestige cardholders may convert 2 Citi Rewards points into 1 Royal Orchid Plus mile. A minimum of 15,000 points are required per transfer, and you may request a transfer by calling Citi Customer Service at 13 24 84.
Compare American Express and Citi credit cards
Other travel spending
Royal Orchid Plus travel partners allow you to earn points for the following:
- Online bookings. Earn points for online bookings made at Kaligo and Agoda. When making your booking at Kaligo, you can earn up to 15 miles per THB฿25 spent, or 20 miles per US$1 spent. When booking via Agoda, earn up to 10,000 miles under PointsMAX. Simply choose your loyalty program, select the points offer option when booking and enter your membership ID.
- Hotels. Royal Orchid Plus has hotel partners around the world, including AccorHotels, Hilton, Hyatt, Intercontinental Hotel and Shangri-La groups and Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Each qualifying stay at a partner hotel earns up to 750 miles. In general, online and call centre bookings are eligible for earning miles, with the exception of discount and group tour rates. Quote your membership number when making your reservation and at check-in to ensure your points are correctly credited.
- Hotel rewards programs. In cases where the hotel has its own loyalty program, such as Hilton Honors and IHG Rewards Club, you may be required to enrol in that program to earn miles.
- Car rental services. You can earn between 250 and 500 miles on each vehicle rental with Avis, Hertz or Budget worldwide. You may also periodically enjoy discounted rates and bonus mile promotions.
- Roaming phone services. In certain countries, you may also earn miles on mobile communications. Simply register with Travelling Connect and ensure that you connect your mobile phone to one of the participating networks each time you travel abroad.
Lifestyle and other spending
The following options allow you to earn miles on lifestyle services in Thailand. While these partners provide more options for residents, you can also earn miles with them when visiting the country.
- Dining miles. Earn dining miles when dining at any partner restaurant across Thailand by presenting your Royal Orchid Plus card at payment. Each THB฿500 spent earns 50 miles.
- Spa services. When pampering yourself at Divana in Bangkok, or at Devarana Spa at Dusit Hotels and Resorts across Thailand, each THB฿500 spent on treatments earns 50 Royal Orchid Plus miles.
- Shopping. Thailand-based Villa Market lets you convert every THB฿20 spent into 1 VPlus point, and every 4 VPlus points into 1 Royal Orchid Plus mile.
How can I redeem miles?
Redeeming Royal Orchid Plus Awards is easy and can be done online or by contacting Thai Airways on 1300 651 960 (in Australia). We’ve included details for the major reward options below.
Your flight redemptions fall into the following categories:
- Thai Airways. You may redeem round trip or one-way flights on Thai Airways online. You can also use your points to purchase flight upgrades, excess baggage and airport lounge access to Royal Silk Lounges at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok. To check specific pricing, log into your membership account online.
- Thai Smile. You can get domestic Thai Smile flights by redeeming your miles online or by calling reservations worldwide. Upgrades are not available on Thai Smile flights. You should refer to the award chart online for specific mileage costs.
- Other Star Alliance airlines. Use your Royal Orchid Plus miles for flights with any Star Alliance airline. Simply call Thai Airways on 1300 651 960 (in Australia) and request your preferred award. You can also purchase Business and First Class upgrades on eligible Star Alliance flights using your miles.
Other rewards include the following:
- Hotel rewards. You may spend your points on accommodation at participating hotel partners. You can make a redemption instantly online by logging into your account and shopping for “Hotel Awards”.
- Shopping. Shop Thai Airways merchandise using your accumulated miles, or redeem a THB฿500 The Mall shopping voucher with 4,500 miles that you can spend at The Mall outlets in Thailand.
- Entertainment. You may redeem your points for magazine subscriptions, with TIME and FORTUNE magazines available to Australian residents for 13,500 miles.
- Health and wellness. Trade in 4,500 Royal Orchid Plus miles for a THB฿500 Divana Spa voucher that you can spend in any of its five Bangkok outlets.
- Dining. Redeem a THB฿200 Thai Catering voucher using 1,500 Royal Orchid Plus miles for in-flight and on-ground catering, restaurant or banquet services. Alternatively, cash in your miles for airport dining at Yellow Orchid in Suvarnabhumi Airport. View specific rates online or call 1300 651 960 for more details.
What if I don’t have enough frequent flyer miles for a reward?
If your account is short of miles for a specific reward, don’t worry because you have the following options:
- Cash + Miles. You may pay for Thai Airways tickets (coded TG) with cash and miles. A minimum of 2,500 miles and maximum of 120,000 miles per transaction apply.
- Purchase points. You can also purchase up to 30,000 miles if you don’t have enough for your chosen reward.
Royal Orchid Plus membership status
There are four Royal Orchid Plus membership tiers: Basic, Silver, Gold and Platinum. All Basic members can earn and redeem points, but the more you fly with Thai Airways and its Star Alliance partners, the more status benefits you’ll enjoy as you achieve higher status tiers.
You can achieve Silver status by earning 10,000 Qualifying Miles during any 12-month period or 15,000 Qualifying Miles during any 24-month period. In addition to Basic member benefits, Silver status offers the following:
- Priority reservation waitlisting on fully booked Thai Airways and Star Alliance flights.
- Priority airport standby on fully booked Thai Airways and Star Alliance flights where permitted by law.
- Priority baggage handling plus an additional 10kg checked baggage allowance on Thai Airways flights (subject to the piece concept and not available at all destinations).
- 3,000 Tier Status Bonus Miles each time Silver status is attained or retained (thereby reducing future Qualifying Miles needed).
You can achieve Gold status by earning 50,000 Qualifying Miles during any 12-month period or 80,000 Qualifying Miles during any 24-month period. In addition to Basic and Silver member benefits, Gold status offers the following:
- 24/7 priority service when contacting Thai Airways Contact Center in Thailand.
- Guaranteed seating in Economy Class for Thai Airways reservations made 72 hours before departure (where waitlist is open, on booking classes Y/M/B).
- Designated priority check-in counters displaying the Star Alliance Gold symbol.
- An additional 20kg checked baggage allowance (or one extra piece of luggage where the “piece concept” applies) on Star Alliance flights.
- Priority security clearance (or “Gold Track”) where available.
- Complimentary access to THAI Royal Silk Class lounges worldwide when flying Thai Airways.
- Complimentary access to airport lounges displaying the Star Alliance Gold symbol (where available) for you and one guest when departing on a same-day Star Alliance flight.
- Priority boarding and priority baggage handling on Star Alliance flights.
- Priority reservations waitlisting and airport standby on Star Alliance flights.
- Dedicated assistance by email.
- Complimentary round-trip upgrades on Thai Airways (excluding discounted Economy fares in booking classes G/V/W/L)
- Complimentary “Air Award Yearly Discount” allowing you to redeem Thai Airways flights at a reduced point rate.
- 5,000 Tier Status Bonus Miles each time Gold status is attained or retained (thereby reducing future Qualifying Miles needed).
You can achieve Platinum status by earning 80,000 miles for two consecutive 12-month periods, with miles earned on Thai Airways flights in Royal First Class or Royal Silk Class only. In addition to Basic, Silver and Gold member benefits, Platinum status offers the following:
- One complimentary round-trip upgrade on a Thai Airways flight upon achieving or retaining Platinum status, and an additional upgrade with each 50,000 Tier Miles flown in Royal First Class or Royal Silk Class (excluding booking classes G/V/W/L).
- Top priority reservation waitlisting on fully booked Thai Airways flights.
- Guaranteed seating in Economy Class for Thai Airways reservations made 48 hours before departure.
- Unlimited changes to award nominee list with five complimentary changes per year.
- Dedicated Platinum check-in at A1-A3 Suvarnabhumi Airport or other Thai Airways Royal check-in counter where available.
- Top priority airport standby on fully booked Thai Airways flights.
- Priority baggage handling and an additional 30kg checked baggage allowance, or one additional piece where the piece concept applies, on Thai Airways flights.
- Immigration fast track at Suvarnabhumi Airport when departing on any international Thai Airways flight.
- Access to any Thai Royal First Class lounge, where available, with one guest when departing on a same-day international Thai Airways flight.
- Priority boarding on Thai Airways and Star Alliance flights.
- Waiver of selected Royal Orchid Plus Service Fees.
- No expiring miles while Platinum status is valid.
- 10,000 Tier Status Bonus Miles each time Platinum status is attained or retained (thereby reducing future Qualifying Miles needed).
What else should I consider before joining this program?
Here is a list of factors to keep in mind when considering the program:
- Star alliance benefits. Since Thai Airways is a part of the Star Alliance, your membership in the Royal Orchid Plus program automatically translates into Star Alliance benefits. This gives you access to frequent flyer perks across the alliance’s other 27 member airlines, which can be handy if you also fly routes not covered by Thai Airways itself.
- Related fees. If you plan on using a credit card to earn more Royal Orchid Plus miles, remember to consider the annual fee and interest rates to decide if the benefits will outweigh the costs of the card. Also consider possible service fees levied by the airline when deciding if this is the frequent flyer program for you.
- Frequent flyer point expiry. Miles are valid for three years and expire on a quarterly basis. For example, if you earned miles in the first three months of 2017, they would expire in the first quarter of 2020.
If you frequently fly with Thai Airways or regularly visit Thailand, the Royal Orchid Plus program might be a good way of maximising your travel benefits. The affiliation with the Star Alliance network also allows you to enjoy perks across numerous global airlines. As always, before joining a frequent flyer program, we recommend that you compare all your options in order to choose the most suitable one for your travel and spending needs.
Pictures: ShutterstockBack to top