Say yes to luxury benefits, room upgrades and exclusive gifts with the Starwood Preferred Guest rewards program.
Starwood Preferred Guest is the dedicated rewards program for Starwood Hotels. The program allows you to earn points for every dollar you spend at over 1,000 hotels in over 100 countries worldwide. Based on a tiered rewards status, the program lets members earn rewards during their stay at a Starwood Hotel or through one of Starwood's various partners.
SPG merger with Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton Rewards
In August 2018, SPG, Marriott Rewards and the Ritz-Carlton Rewards programs merged into a single loyalty program. The information below relates to the previous SPG Rewards Program and has been left for reference. To see up-to-date details of how to earn points at SPG properties (among others), check out our guide on the merged SPG, Marriott Rewards and Ritz-Carlton hotel loyalty program.
How does the program work?
With every eligible stay at a Starwood Hotel you can earn up to three points per US$ spent which you can then use to redeem luxury benefits. The program is very similar to a frequent flyer program in that the more often you stay the higher your membership tier will be, and as you move up the tiers the rewards get increasingly lucrative.
As well as premium complimentary rewards including concierge service and a room upgrade at check in, members can also look forward to redeeming their points for rooms, flights, affiliated partners and to use when bidding on SPG Moments experiences. Hotel brands that are part of the Starwood Hotel group include Sheraton, Four Points, Le Meridien, Westin Hotels, W Hotels and The Luxury Collection hotels.
How to earn Starpoints
Members of the program can earn Starpoints in the following ways:
- Staying at participating hotels
- Registering for crossover rewards with SPG elite and Delta Medallion programs
- Earning points with hotel partners
- Purchasing merchandise and services
- Buying them
- Transferring program points from American Express Membership Rewards program or the Diner's Club Rewards program
- Credit cards that offer complimentary enrolments
Starwood Rewards Credit Card Comparison
What are the member tiers?
The Starwood Preferred Guest program has three membership tiers— Preferred, Gold and Platinum. Take a look below for a breakdown for each of the membership tiers:
Requirements to reach this tier: You automatically reach this tier on sign-up
- Earn two Starpoints per eligible $US spent
- Redeem points at Starwood and partner hotels and resorts
- Free night Awards and Award flights redemption without blackout dates
- No points expiry
Requirements to reach this tier: Stay ten times, or 25 nights, within one calendar year
- Earn three Starpoints per eligible $US spent
- Receive a room upgrade when available
- Complimentary welcome gift at check-in
- Access to elite customer service line (available in most countries)
- 4pm late checkout
Requirements to reach this tier: Stay 25 times or 50 nights within one calendar year
- Earn three points per $US spent
- Complimentary internet access
- Platinum welcome gift at check-in
- Room upgrade at check-in
- Guaranteed room availability when you book 72 hours ahead
- Receive ten Suite Night Awards for suite upgrades when you've completed 50 eligible nights in a calendar year
SPG Moments is an exclusive program where members can use their Starpoints to bid for premium experiences, some of which are once in a lifetime. Members can choose concert tickets, backstage tours and 'meet and greets' with celebrities. There is also luxury suite access for sports games and VIP tickets. You can bid for experiences that appeal to you on the Starwood Preferred Guest website.
Pros and cons of the Starwood Preferred Guest Hotel loyalty program
- Range of hotels to let you earn and spend your rewards points
- Starwood Moments gives members access to premium experiences including meeting with celebrity chefs or recording artists, including Britney Spears
- You can transfer your points to various frequent flyer programs including Virgin Atlantic, US Airways, AAdvantage and BA Executive Club
- Requirements to move up membership status may be difficult to achieve for some people
- The American Express Starwood Preferred Guest credit card is only available in the US, UK and Canada