The Qantas American Express card allows you to earn rewards and save with Qantas Points per $1 spent, a $0 and 0% p.a. for 12 months on balance transfers.
The Qantas American Express Discovery card is a frequent flyer card that allows cardholders to earn points while they save on standard card costs. You'll collect Qantas Points for every dollar you spend on eligible purchases and consolidate your debts without collecting interest for the first 12 months. The card also offers complimentary purchase insurance and up to 44 interest-free days. Compare the rates, fees and features below to decide if this is the right card for you.
The Qantas American Express Discovery Card offers 0% p.a. for 12 months on balance transfers (a one-off 1% balance transfer fee applies) and a $0 annual fee for life.
|Product Name||Qantas American Express Discovery Card|
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Balance transfer rate (p.a.)||0% p.a. for 12 months with 1% balance transfer fee|
|Balance Transfer Revert Rate|
The interest rate after the balance transfer ends.
|Purchase Rate (20.74% p.a.)|
|Balance Transfer Limit||70% of available credit limit|
|Maximum Balance Transfer Amount||$10,000|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.74% p.a.|
|Annual fee||$0 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Card Type||American Express|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (AMEX)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available To Temporary Residents||Yes - Conditions apply|
|Annual fee||$0 p.a.|
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||2.5% or $30, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$30|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You'll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Number of Additional Cardholders||4|
- $0 annual fee ever which is a rarity for a prestigious card plus, equal points for spending
- This card comes with a promotional balance transfer rate of 0% p.a. for 12 months (a one-off 1% balance transfer fee applies).
- Your points will be transferred straight into your Qantas Frequent Flyer account.
- 24/7 assistance covers fraud, replacement cards and theft. AMEX purchase protection covers you for the stolen, broken or defective items within 90 days of purchase.
- Must have a good credit rating without defaults
- Income before tax must be $35,000 p.a. or over.
|Rewards Program||Qantas Frequent Flyer|
|Rewards Points per $ (VISA/MC) Cap||N/A|
|Rewards Points per $ spent (AMEX)||1|
|Rewards Points per $ (AMEX) Cap||Uncapped|
Qantas American Express Discovery Card review
The Qantas American Express Discovery is suited to Qantas Frequent Flyers and cardholders who want to keep their costs low. You can look forward to 1 per $1 spent on eligible points plus 1 Qantas Point for every dollar spent on Qantas products and services. Plus, there's no points cap, meaning your reward potential is only limited by how much you spend on your card.
The card also offers up to 44 interest-free days, a standard purchase rate of 20.74% p.a. and $0 p.a. annual fee for the life of the card.
Benefits of the Qantas American Express Discovery card
If you apply and are approved for this card, you can look forward to the following perks:
- Qantas Points per $1 spent. You'll collect 1 per $1 spent on eligible points plus 1 Qantas Point for every dollar spent on Qantas products and services. These points aren't capped and can be redeemed for flights with Qantas, travel packages and products with leading Australian brands from the Qantas Online Mall.
- No annual fee. Unlike many frequent flyer cards, the Qantas American Express Discovery Card comes with $0 annual fee for the life of the card.
- 0% balance transfer offer. If you're struggling to repay a high-interest credit card debt, you could take advantage of the balance transfer offer of 0% p.a. for 12 months. A one-off balance transfer fee of 1% of your total balance applies. The balance transfer will revert to 20.74% p.a. when the promotion ends.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your balance in full, you can take advantage of up to 44 interest-free days on purchases.
- Complimentary purchase insurance. The card offers purchase protection insurance to cover the cost of repairing or replacing items that are accidentally damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase. It also offers refund protection insurance to cover the cost if you're refused a refund on an unused eligible item within the first 90 days of purchase.
- Contactless and mobile payments. You can use this card to make digital mobile payments with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay.
Features of the Qantas American Express Discovery Card
- Purchase interest rate. Your purchases will collect an interest rate of 20.74% p.a.
- Currency conversion rate. A 3% fee is charged for transactions made in a foreign currency overseas or online.
- Global card support. Qantas American Express Discovery Card members can take advantage of 24/7 global card support services and emergency card replacement services that can help you get a card replaced in as little as 48 hours.
- Fraud protection. The card comes with an online fraud protection guarantee. So, you won't be held responsible for any unauthorised charges online as long as you notify AMEX immediately upon discovery of the fraudulent transactions.
How to apply for the Qantas American Express Discovery Card
If you're interested in applying for the Qantas American Express Discovery Card, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and have the necessary documents and information on hand before you apply.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years old to apply for this card.
- Residential status. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or hold a current Business Long Stay Visa (subclass 457).
- Minimum income. Your pre-tax or gross income must be at least $35,000.
- Credit history. You must have no history of bad debt or payment default to receive approval.
Required documents and information
- Personal information. This includes your full name, residential address, email address and driver's licence number.
- Employment information. This includes your position, salary and your employer's name and contact details. You may also be required to provide several recent payslips.
- Financial information. This includes any assets you have, such as shares, investments or savings. It also includes any existing debts from cards or loans, and ongoing financial commitments such as bills, rent or household expenses.
While the Qantas American Express Discovery Card boasts a Qantas rewards program and no annual fee, you should compare your options before applying to ensure it's the most valuable offer for you.Back to top