Find out what free roadside assistance actually means on the American Express Platinum Card. Check out the other emergency cover options offered on this prestigious card.
Free Roadside Assistance is offered in America as a benefit of carrying an American Express Platinum Card. There are various platinum credit cards on the market, and several versions are offered by American Express, but this one is the real-deal of platinum credit cards. Its annual fee should tell you that: $900.
As you might expect from such a prestigious card, there are benefits attached that are not available on lesser cards. One of those is free roadside assistance. Specifically, if your car breaks down when you're travelling anywhere more than 51kms from your home in Australia, American Express will arrange and pay up to $125 for your car to be towed to the nearest garage, or pay the same amount to cover on-the-spot repairs.
American Express Credit Card Comparison
Rates last updated June 29th, 2017.
- American Express Velocity Platinum Card
Bonus points offer has changed from 50,000 to 100,000 which is valid until 31 July 2017.
May 16th, 2017
- American Express Velocity Escape Card
Interest-free period has changed from 44 days to 55 days.
May 16th, 2017
- Qantas American Express Premium Card - Exclusive Offer
A new exclusive offer of 50,000 bonus Qantas Points which is valid until 30 June 2017
June 1st, 2017
Free Roadside Assistance within Amex Platinum Emergency Assistance Cover
This free roadside assistance is part of the Platinum Card's Emergency Assistance Cover. This also includes:
- Emergency Card Replacement, which replaces a lost or stolen card within 24 hours almost anywhere in the world
- Emergency Cheque Cashing, allowing you to cash a personal cheque in most American Express Travel Service Offices around the world
- Emergency Cash Advances, providing up to US$1,000 in local currency in an emergency resulting from the loss or theft of all necessary travelling documents, where there is no access to an ATM or the Amex Emergency Cheque Cashing Service
- Home Assistance, to source a plumber, electrician or locksmith if you need one (and you presumably don't want to deal with such people yourself).
How useful the free roadside assistance element of this is in reality will depend upon the extent of the problem you suffer. $125 is a nice gesture but won't actually cover very much. It is also highly unlikely that anyone earning at least $100,00 a year (the minimum income criteria to apply for this card) will not have organised some level of breakdown cover for their Aston Martin.
This is probably one of those perks that is in there just to make this card stand further apart from other platinum level credit cards. If you look at the American Express Platinum Card insurance booklet, you also get Hijack & Detention Cover and Kidnap Cover. However, this does not mean they will be sending Russell Crowe in to get you back.Back to top