We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
When there are changes to your business name and registration number, it's important to keep the right people informed. Putting together a legally sound document is crucial as it helps keep your records up-to-date and makes sure your business continues under its new name without issue.
Find out what you need to write your own change of name document, and where you can find online legal templates to help you craft yours.
What's in this guide?
- What is a change of business name document?
- When should I use a change of business name document?
- Change of business name document vs updating your business name details
- What does a change of business name document include?
- How effective is a change of business name document?
- Do I need to use a lawyer?
- Get access to change of business name letter templates online
- How do I write a change of business name document?
- Where to get free legal documents and templates online
What is a change of business name document?
A change of business name document is a letter to a company's stakeholders that details the change in company details. It ensures there is no interruption in business transactions or communication due to the name change.
Download this template from Lawpath
When should I use a change of business name document?
A change of business name document is necessary if you intend to change your company name and register under a different Australian Business Number (ABN). Without using this, regulators, customers, suppliers and the general public may struggle to reach you.
Change of business name document vs updating your business name details
A change of name requires you to first transfer the new business name over to the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) before you can register for a new ABN. Once the changes have been accepted and your company name details change, you can follow up with the change of name letter to any relevant stakeholders.
Updating your business name details involves updating your records through ASIC. This can be done online and includes updating your:
- Business name contact information
- Business name holder details
- Business name representative details
- Business name partner details.
Once you've updated your information, it takes up to 28 days before any changes formally come into effect.
What does a change of business name document include?
Having a Change of name on file ensures that everyone involved is notified of the effective changes to your business and that you have a record of it on file. Here's what's usually included:
- Mailing address of the intended recipient
- Subject line: Change of Business
- Previous name of business
- Contact details
- New business name
- New ABN.
How effective is a change of business name document?
A change of business name document is a very effective way of informing your stakeholders of the alteration to your company name and registration number. It's also a good opportunity to update your business and contact details.
Do I need to use a lawyer?
You may not need the help of a lawyer for this document, as it's quite straightforward, but it's your call to make. Some business owners may appreciate the added peace of mind of getting a lawyer to review a draft.
Get access to change of business name letter templates online
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write a change of business name document?
Drafting up a change of business name document is easy with online templates, some of which may be free to download. The template lays out everything you need to include in your document and shows you the kind of language you want to use. You can customise these templates to fit your company's needs.
Where to get free legal documents and templates online
There are a few different options to get free legal document templates online. These include:
- Lawpath. Lawpath is an online legal resource for small businesses and entrepreneurs. You can view samples of legal document templates for free, but a fee is required to be able to download and customise.
- Wonder.Legal. Wonder.Legal offers over 140 legal document templates with an average fee of $22.96. Once you fill out a questionnaire Wonder.Legal does the rest.
- LawDepot. LawDepot offers hundreds of business and legal documents free to download. All you do is fill them in online before downloading the documents straight to your computer.
- LegalVision. LegalVision charges a monthly fee of $199 in return for unlimited access to legal document templates
More guides on Finder
NSW COVID restrictions: When and where do you need to wear a mask?
Here are all the new NSW COVID-19 restrictions for Sydney - including travel bans and where you need to wear a mask.
How to get $90.95 off Nintendo Switch with Amazon Prime
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
Learn how to stake Binance Coin (BNB)
Learn how to stake BNB and start earning income with this straightforward step-by-step guide for both exchanges and wallets.
Ethereum price: Experts believe key indicators paint a negative picture
Due to a lack of clarity surrounding the launch of Ethereum’s much hyped EIP 1559, the premier altcoin may continue to face downward price action in the near term.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Ainsworth Game Technology (AGI ↑9.3%), Washington H Soul Pattinson and Company (SOL ↑8.7%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Wednesday 23 June 2021.
China’s aggression to Bitcoin has lead to its worst month in years
As mainstream institutions continue to offload BTC, fears regarding the currency's future continue to loom large on the horizon.
Jetstar sale creates first direct flight between 2 holiday hotspots
Forget having to wait at the airport for your connecting flight! Jetstar has you covered.
Why is the Woolworths (WOW) share price slipping?
Shares in the supermarket giant have steadily risen and are up 9% in the last 6 months.
Tasmania electricity prices drop 1 July. How much will you save?
Households in Tasmania frustrated with high electricity bills will welcome the upcoming price drop which could save them up to $145 per year.
Ask an Expert