We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
When there are changes to your business name and registration number, it's important to keep the right people informed. Putting together a legally sound document is crucial as it helps keep your records up-to-date and makes sure your business continues under its new name without issue.
Find out what you need to write your own change of name document, and where you can find online legal templates to help you craft yours.
What's in this guide?
- What is a change of business name document?
- When should I use a change of business name document?
- Change of business name document vs updating your business name details
- What does a change of business name document include?
- How effective is a change of business name document?
- Do I need to use a lawyer?
- Get access to change of business name letter templates online
- How do I write a change of business name document?
- Where to get free legal documents and templates online
What is a change of business name document?
A change of business name document is a letter to a company's stakeholders that details the change in company details. It ensures there is no interruption in business transactions or communication due to the name change.
Download this template from Lawpath
When should I use a change of business name document?
A change of business name document is necessary if you intend to change your company name and register under a different Australian Business Number (ABN). Without using this, regulators, customers, suppliers and the general public may struggle to reach you.
Change of business name document vs updating your business name details
A change of name requires you to first transfer the new business name over to the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) before you can register for a new ABN. Once the changes have been accepted and your company name details change, you can follow up with the change of name letter to any relevant stakeholders.
Updating your business name details involves updating your records through ASIC. This can be done online and includes updating your:
- Business name contact information
- Business name holder details
- Business name representative details
- Business name partner details.
Once you've updated your information, it takes up to 28 days before any changes formally come into effect.
What does a change of business name document include?
Having a Change of name on file ensures that everyone involved is notified of the effective changes to your business and that you have a record of it on file. Here's what's usually included:
- Mailing address of the intended recipient
- Subject line: Change of Business
- Previous name of business
- Contact details
- New business name
- New ABN.
How effective is a change of business name document?
A change of business name document is a very effective way of informing your stakeholders of the alteration to your company name and registration number. It's also a good opportunity to update your business and contact details.
Do I need to use a lawyer?
You may not need the help of a lawyer for this document, as it's quite straightforward, but it's your call to make. Some business owners may appreciate the added peace of mind of getting a lawyer to review a draft.
Get access to change of business name letter templates online
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write a change of business name document?
Drafting up a change of business name document is easy with online templates, some of which may be free to download. The template lays out everything you need to include in your document and shows you the kind of language you want to use. You can customise these templates to fit your company's needs.
Where to get free legal documents and templates online
There are a few different options to get free legal document templates online. These include:
- Lawpath. Lawpath is an online legal resource for small businesses and entrepreneurs. You can view samples of legal document templates for free, but a fee is required to be able to download and customise.
- Wonder.Legal. Wonder.Legal offers over 140 legal document templates with an average fee of $22.96. Once you fill out a questionnaire Wonder.Legal does the rest.
- LawDepot. LawDepot offers hundreds of business and legal documents free to download. All you do is fill them in online before downloading the documents straight to your computer.
- LegalVision. LegalVision charges a monthly fee of $199 in return for unlimited access to legal document templates
More guides on Finder
How to start an event photography business
From practical steps to key legal documents, here's your checklist for launching an event photography company.
How to start an oven cleaning business
Learn the key points to know before launching an oven cleaning company.
How to start a graphic design business
How to use your design skills as the basis for a profitable enterprise you can run from the comfort of your home.
Best men’s watches in Australia
These are the six best men's watches you can buy right now in Australia.
How to start a curtains and blinds business
Get all the important details on starting your own curtains and blinds business.
How to start an electronic repairs business
Turn your passion for electronics into a profitable company.
How to start a wallpaper business
Equip yourself with the right know-how to open your own wallpaper business.
How to start a corporate merchandising business
From business loans to perfecting your sales expertise, helpful tips for launching your business.
How to start an SEO business
Helpful tips for starting and running a successful SEO agency.
Energy Australia Business Energy Review January 2021
Take advantage of fixed rate electricity and gas for your company with Energy Australia’s Total Plan Business.
Ask an Expert