With brokerage fees from 0.11% and access to more than 20 international stock exchanges, Phillip Capital offers plenty of benefits for online traders.
If you want to trade shares on the ASX, Chi-X and more than 20 global stock exchanges, all from the one account, Phillip Capital offers an online share trading platform that’s well worth a closer look. With convenient and easy access to thousands of global shares, Phillip Capital combines competitive brokerage fees starting from 0.11% with up-to-date market information, segregated client funds and a friendly support team.
Founded in Singapore in 1975, Phillip Capital now operates in 16 countries. Today, it has more than one million clients and US$28 billion assets under management, so you know you are dealing with an experienced and reliable online share trading provider.
Disclaimer: Trading in financial instruments carries various risks, and you can lose more than your capital. This article may contain general advice. You should always seek professional advice when deciding if a product is right for you.
What can I trade with Phillip Capital?
When you open an online share trading account with Phillip Capital, you can trade shares and ETFs on more than 20 international stock exchanges, including:
- Australia (ASX, Chi-X)
- United States (NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX)
- Canada (TSX)
- United Kingdom (LSE)
- Germany (DAX)
- Singapore (SGX)
- Malaysia (Bursa)
- Japan (TSE)
- Hong Kong (HKEx)
- China A-Shares (SSE)
- China B-Shares (SSE, SZSE)
- Indonesia (IDX)
- Philippines (PHX)
- South Korea (KRX)
- Sri Lanka (CSE)
- Taiwan (TWSE)
- Thailand (SET)
- Turkey (ISE)
In addition to shares, Phillip Capital also offers ECN forex trading and the opportunity to trade CFDs.
What are the best things about Phillip Capital share trading?
- Market data. With access to real-time market data from global stock exchanges, Phillip Capital allows you to make trading decisions based on the most up-to-date information.
- Research. Combining an extensive variety of technical indicators with expert analysis and drawing tools, Phillip Capital provides a range of resources to help you make better trading decisions.It also offers a comprehensive selection of trading insights, including market reports, analysis and forecasts.
- Access. Phillip Capital provides the speed and convenience of online trading, as well as the flexibility of mobile access if you need to trade on the go. Phone trades are also available but do attract higher brokerage fees.
- Available markets. In addition to Australian shares on the ASX and Chi-X, Phillip Capital provides access to shares and ETFs on more than 20 global stock exchanges. These include the NASDAQ, New York Stock Exchange, London Stock Exchange and Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- Multiple market watchlist. Phillip Capital allows you to build a customisable market watchlist to monitor shares around the globe, helping you to identify and trade on investment opportunities as they arise.
- Multiple currencies. Phillip Capital is one of only a handful of online stockbrokers in Australia that allows you to hold multiple currencies in your account. You have the freedom to maintain funds in several currencies – AUD, SGD, USD, HKD, JPY, GBP, EUR, CAD, MYR – allowing you to save time and money on currency conversion fees.
- Regulated in Australia. Phillip Capital is an Australian stockbroker that is regulated by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission.
What support and information is available with Phillip Capital?
If you want to further your trading knowledge and get more out of your account, Phillip Capital offers a handy trading education section on its website. There you can sign up for seminars and webinars and access informative trading guides. A range of frequently asked questions and answers is also included on the Phillip Capital website.
For customer support, you can phone a toll-free number or get in touch via email. As well as offices in 15 other countries, Phillip Capital has locations in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and the Gold Coast to offer the support you need.
What are the fees associated when using Phillip Capital?
It’s free to open an online trading account with Phillip Capital. However, brokerage fees apply whenever you place a trade, but vary depending on the stock exchange on which you are trading and whether you trade online or over the phone.
The table below outlines Phillip Capital’s brokerage fees:
|International stock exchange||Online trading||Phone trading|
|Australia (ASX)||0.12% (minimum AUD19.95)||0.50% (minimum AUD 60)|
|USA (NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX)||From 0.11% (minimum USD 22)||0.60% (minimum USD 25)|
|China A Shares (SSE)||From 0.12% (minimum RMB 125)||From 0.60% (minimum RMB 200)|
|Singapore (SGX)||From 0.18% (minimum SGD 27.5)||From 0.60% (minimum SGD 50)|
|Hong Kong (HKeX)||From 0.18% (minimum HKD 165)||From 0.60% (minimum HKD 200)|
|Japan (TSE)||From 0.25% (minimum JPY 4,500)||From 0.75% (minimum JPY 5,500)|
|UK (LSE)||From 0.35% (minimum GBP 25)||From 0.85% (minimum GBP 55)|
|Europe||0.85% (minimum AUD 115)||1.00% (minimum AUD 130)|
|Malaysia (Bursa)||From 0.50% (minimum MYR 75)||From 1.20% (minimum MYR 120)|
|Indonesia (IDX)||From 0.30% (minimum SGD 35)||From 0.75% (minimum SGD 55)|
|Thailand (SET)||From 0.28% (minimum THB 800)||From 0.85% (minimum THB 1,000)|
|Turkey (ISE)||From 0.50% (minimum TRY 100)||From 0.75% (minimum TRY 120)|
|Germany||From 0.35% (minimum EUR 50)||1.00% (minimum AUD 130)|
|China B Shares (SSE, SZSE)||N/A||1.00% (minimum AUD 130)|
|Canada (TSX)||N/A||1.00% (minimum AUD 130)|
|Philippines (PHX)||N/A||1.00% (minimum AUD 130)|
|South Korea (KRX)||N/A||1.00% (minimum AUD 130)|
|Sri Lanka (CSE)||N/A||1.00% (minimum AUD 130)|
|Taiwan (TWSE)||N/A||1.00% (minimum AUD 130)|
What are the points in favour of and against using Phillip Capital for my next trade?
Points in favour
- Experienced provider. Phillip Capital has more than 40 years of experience offering its services to traders all around the world.
- Global market access. With a Phillip Capital share trading account, you can buy and sell shares on stock exchanges in Australia, the US, UK, Canada, Europe and Asia.
- Multi-currency facility. With the ability to hold funds in multiple currencies, Phillip Capital allows you to save on currency conversion fees.
- Award-winner. Phillip Capital has won a host of awards for its online trading services, including the Most Preferred Stock Brokerage Firm at the 2016 ShareInvestor Awards.
- Commissions. With a minimum commission of AUD$19.95 when trading ASX shares, you may be able to find cheaper brokerage fees elsewhere.
What you need to know about the application process for Phillip Capital
If you’d like to open a trading account with Phillip Capital, click one of the “Apply Now” links on this page to be redirected to the provider’s website. You can then start filling out the quick online application form by providing:
- Your name
- Your date of birth
- Your contact details
- The type of account you would like to open
Once you’ve set up your account and deposited funds, you can start trading global and international shares.