With over 40 years of experience in trading, IG is Australia’s number one retail forex provider.
Established in 1974 as IG Index, this multi-national trading company has continued its efforts to increase the accessibility of financial markets for all traders, ensuring it has remained at the forefront of trading.
The award-winning company has offices in 15 countries, 1,600 members of staff and an average of five million transactions per month globally.
With trading in CFD and DMA, IG provides a technically advanced and reliable service for all traders, novice and professional alike.
IG trades in close to 100 currency pairs, including bitcoin. Major currency pairs include:
What trading platforms are available?
IG offers a range of trading platforms that cater to users with differing capabilities and levels of experience:
- Online. With a customisable layout suitable for beginners.
- Trading apps. Curated applications for iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows phones and tablets.
- MetaTrader4. One of the world’s most popular trading platforms.
- API. Advanced front-end solutions for experienced traders.
- L2 Dealer. A downloadable DMA platform for advanced traders.
- ProRealTime. Leading advanced charting package on the web.
What trading levels are available with IG?
IG offers accounts for personal use, corporate and trust, self-managed super funds (SMSF) and joint accounts. Depending on the platform used, traders can expect the following features:
|Inclusions||Web-based||Mobile/Tablet app||MetaTrader4||L2 Dealer||ProRealTime|
|Accessability||Browser-based||Download||Download||Download||Browser-based (via desktop)|
|Fees||Free||Free||Free||Free (minimum $2,000 balance required)||$40 per month (refunded for active traders)|
|Order types||Limits, stops, guaranteed stops, trailing stops, market orders||Limits, stops, guaranteed stops, trailing stops, market orders||Market orders, limits, stops, stop-loss, take profit||Limits, market orders, tranche (iceberg) orders, fill or kill, execute and eliminate, date, day, good for auction, good till cancel, at the auction, at the open, at the close, at best||Market orders, limits, stops, trailing stops, market if touched|
|Add-ons||DMA, ProRealTime access, Forex Direct||DMA||Autochartist, Trading Central||Currenex, Bloomberg, FIX API||Import indicators|
Features look-up table
|Spread fee - AUD/USD|
|Education and resources||Yes|
|Does it offer fixed spreads?||No|
|Margin requirements||0.5% of the full contract value|
|Is it MetaTrader supported?||Yes|
|Minimum deposit required||No|
|Compatible devices||Desktop, iPad, iPhone|
|Payment methods||BPAY, credit and debit card|
|Promotional bonus||Refer a Friend: Receive cash and credit rewards once your friend starts trading!|
|24-hour trading?||Yes. Open 24 hours a day between Monday morning 6am AEST/8am AEDT and Saturday morning 7:15am AEST/9:15am AEDT (subject to public holiday closing)|
|Demo account available?||Yes|
What are the benefits of using IG?
- Free Stream Reuters news to stay on top of market intelligence.
- Implement Trailing Stops to reduce risk, and potentially lock in profits if you’re unable to monitor and manage your accounts.
- Avoid paying Guaranteed Stops unless reached.
- Two-factor authentication (2FA): An optional security feature that requires a verification code as well as a password to log in.
- VPS available for free to clients with a monthly account balance of $10,000 or above ($50 per month for those with a balance below $10,000).
- Multi-platform access
- Guaranteed and Trailing Stops
- Monthly cash rebates for active traders
- VPS and 2FA security features
- Only open 24/5, and trading closed outside of normal trading hours
How do I sign up?
Simply complete the basic online application for instant access to your personal trading account; no deposit required. The Information requested may differ depending on the account-type you wish to access and the platform you want to utilise.
Did you have these questions about IG?
How is commission charged on Indices and forex trades?
IG forex contracts are commission-free, but charge the dealing spread.In volatile market conditions, the spread will experience greater fluctuation, however most major forex currency pairs have spreads starting from just 1 or 2 pips.
What's the difference between Guaranteed Stops and Non-Guaranteed Stops?
A Guaranteed Stop places an absolute cap on potential losses by allowing traders to specify the level at which they wish for their trade to be closed, should the market move away from their favour. In paying a small premium for trade to be stopped once the limit is reached, you avoid greater loss.
A Non-Guaranteed Stop doesn’t incur the premium of a Guaranteed Stop. It can also help to mitigate risk by triggering an order close to your position once the pre-selected level has been breached, although in the case of slippage, a stop cannot always be transacted and a level much worse than that selected might be reached.
What is the smallest and largest amount I can trade?
The smallest amount you can trade is 1 contract. The value of a contract will vary depending on the type of contract and the market.
The largest amount you can trade in forex is dictated by the market. In major forex markets, you should be able to trade approximately 50 lots of the first named currency online.