In 2019 the Ford Ranger was among the top 10 most stolen vehicles in Australia, so insuring your Ranger should be a priority. Don't just go with your regular insurer though, the amount of insurers these days is large and that means you can potentially get the same coverage and save money.
Keep reading to find out more about Ford Ranger car insurance costs and how you could save on your premiums.
Background of the Ford Ranger
The Ford Ranger name has been used on three distinct model lines since its creation, being used on and off since 1958, with the somewhat iconic pickup truck being sold for 29 years. The name has been used globally since 1998, so it’s no surprise that many people have at least encountered the name.
Comprehensive insurance options for a Ford Ranger
Which factors affect my Ford Ranger insurance rate?
There is a range of factors that could affect your insurance rate. These include:
- Your age, marital status, job and where you live
- The model and age of your car
- Your car’s safety rating, security and any anti-theft precautions
- Annual mileage
- Your driving history and activity
- The size of your car’s engine
- No claims discount
How can I save on my Ford Ranger premiums?
We’ve got some advice that may help you to save money on your premiums. Our advice includes:
- Pay annually rather than monthly. By paying annually, you could save.
- Make yourself a secure investment. By keeping a good credit rating and clean history of no claims, you may be rewarded by your provider with lower premiums.
- Be economical about your car usage. By walking or taking public transport, you can keep your mileage, and premiums, lower.
- Don’t just accept your renewal quote. Renewal quotes aren’t always the cheapest option out there. When it’s time to renew your policy, make sure you shop around - and haggle.
- Install extra safety precautions. Providers don’t like to insure risks, so by investing in some extra safety or security equipment, you may just find that your premiums get lower.
- Avoid driving convictions. Convictions of any kind raise your premium rate, so do your best to avoid any.
Ford Ranger facts
- The Ford Ranger was discontinued in the United States and Canada in 2011, but there are plans to resume sales there in 2019, with a new facelift expected to be revealed in 2019.
- The original Ford Ranger pickup truck spanned just two generations.
- The Ford Ranger was voted the 7th best pickup truck of 2018.
How safe is the Ford Ranger?
When tested by the crash-test experts at Euro NCAP in 2011, the Ford Ranger received a 5/5 safety rating and has upheld that rating. It scored 96% for its adult occupant safety and 86% for its child occupant safety. Its safety features also merited it a score of 71% for the safety assist category.
As standard, the Ford Ranger comes with an array of safety measures, designed specifically for the model. ESC, or electronic stability control, is there to keep your vehicle balanced, no matter the terrain. The trailer sway control will help prevent anything you’re towing from drifting and causing potential danger to you and the vehicles around you, whilst the roll stability control can intervene if there is a high rollover risk detected whilst you’re driving. In addition, it also has a traction control system and a tyre pressure monitoring system.
As previously mentioned, the safer you can make your vehicle, the lower your premiums may become. For optional safety extras available to the Ford Ranger, visit the Ford website or contact a Ford dealership.
More guides on Finder
Not at fault car accident
What you need to know about insurance if you’re involved in a car accident that wasn’t your fault.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Yes, you need car insurance to protect you from expensive bills following an accident.
Allianz vs AAMI car insurance
Allianz vs AAMI – compare policies side by side and see who has what matters to you.
How long after a car accident can you claim?
Find out how long you have to file your car insurance claim.
Choice of repairer car insurance
Not sure if you should go with your own repairer or your insurer's favourite? Learn the pros and cons of each here.
Compare Car Insurance NSW
Your guide to getting car insurance in NSW.
Short term car insurance Australia
Find out what short term car insurance options are available in Australia.
Car insurance cover notes explained
Car insurance cover notes are no longer available in Australia. Read on to learn why and what your alternatives are.
Car insurance for P-platers
Find affordable and comprehensive car insurance for P-platers with this handy guide.
How much is car insurance?
How much does car insurance cost and what factors affect your premium? Your comprehensive guide here.
Ask an Expert