For Sale By Owner
Become your own real estate agent with For Sale By Owner. Find tenants and buyers while skipping big commissions.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
With listing packages for sellers and landlords, For Sale By Owner helps you run your own real estate game and save money.
The company is a good option for sellers who don't want to deal with real estate agents when selling their homes.
What property services does For Sale By Owner offer?
Unlike some competitors For Sale By Owner does not offer any free, basic packages. It offers the following paid packages:
- Sellers. Choose from two packages for home owners looking to sell, which include comprehensive listings and professional photography.
- Landlords. There are two rental packages, with the more expensive option including a listing on Domain.
- Commercial property. For Sale By Owner has options for leasing and selling commercial property.
All listing packages remain active until your property is sold or leased.
Seller package details
- Essentials. For $699 you can have your property listed on the major property portal sites, get a property appraisal, brochures and a for sale sign.
- Essentials Plus. For $969 you get everything in the Essentials package plus the choice of professional photography or a large photo board sign.
Rental package details
- Standard. For $149 you can list your property on multiple portal sites including realestate.com.au, plus a for lease sign and SMS enquiry alerts.
- Extended. For $199 you get all the above plus listing on Domain in addition to other portal sites.
Prices correct at time of publication and may change.
How much can I save?
Let's say you sell your home for $750,000. With a real estate agent commission of 2% you'd lose $15,000 off the final sale price.
That's a lot of money.
For rental properties, a property manager or agent can charge 8–12% of your weekly rent.
If you rented out a property for $450 a week with a 9% agent commission you would lose $40.50 a week. In a year that's $2,106.
But keep in mind that selling or renting out your own property takes a lot of time and effort. You need to balance this against the potential savings.
For Sale By Owner company profile
- For Sale By Owner is a private business based in Victoria.
- The company works with sellers and landlords to help them save money by doing it themselves.
- For Sale by Owner also lists properties on its own website.
There are many other businesses that can help you sell or lease your property cheaply. These include:
More guides on Finder
Best electricity plans for solar owners
Compare feed-in tariffs and more to find a good value plan.
Energy plans for renters
Renting shouldn't mean settling for a terrible energy plan. Find out how to make the best of your move.
Podcast: Tax time tips for EOFY 2020
Finder experts explain how to claim home office expenses on your 2020 tax return, tips for new investors and how to get the most out of the EOFY sales in 2020.
What are the best dividend stocks of 2020?
With the Big Four set to cut dividends this year, here are 20 non-bank stocks to watch.
Buying and selling property during coronavirus
Your guide to property transactions during the coronavirus pandemic.
Keep your business afloat during the coronavirus outbreak
Financial tips, resources and tools for businesses during the coronavirus outbreak.
Rental relief and coronavirus: Support for Australian tenants who can’t pay rent
A guide to renter support during coronavirus, include government policies, welfare payments and more information for tenants who can't pay rent.
Coronavirus: Can landlord insurance help?
Your landlord insurance can only help in certain circumstances. Here's where.
How is coronavirus affecting the Australian property market?
A detailed look at the property market and how real estate agents, buyers and sellers are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
A detailed guide to Cubbi, an online platform for rental property management.
Ask an Expert