Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

NSW flood relief: Full list of support

Over 20 LGAs impacted by the floods in NSW are now eligible for help.

Here's where to find support if you've been affected by the 2022 floods in NSW and parts of QLD.

Financial help from the government

October floods: Funding available to natural disaster declared communities

Residents in 27 local government areas in NSW and 3 in Queensland are eligible for emergency government funding following the October floods. Residents of the following LGAs are so far eligible for the payments:

New South Wales

  • Blayney
  • Bogan
  • Bourke
  • Brewarrina
  • Cabonne
  • Cowra
  • Dubbo
  • Edward River
  • Forbes
  • Gilgandra
  • Glen Innes Severn
  • Greater Hume
  • Gunnedah
  • Gwydir
  • Lachlan
  • Lithgow
  • Liverpool Plains
  • Moree Plains
  • Mid-Western
  • Narrabri
  • Narromine
  • Tamworth
  • Upper Lachlan
  • Walgett
  • Warren
  • Warrumbungle
  • Weddin
  • Murweh
  • Paroo
  • Quilpie

Flood-affected communities in NSW can find out if they're eligible here.

July floods: Funding available to natural disaster declared communities

Disaster assistance is available in 23 local government areas (LGAs) following severe storms and flooding in Sydney and parts of NSW since 27 June 2022.

The LGAs are Blacktown, Blue Mountains, Camden, Canterbury Bankstown, Campbelltown, Central Coast, Cessnock, Fairfield, Georges River, Hawkesbury, Hornsby, Kiama, Lithgow, Liverpool, Northern Beaches, Penrith, Shellharbour, Shoalhaven, Sutherland, The Hills, Wingecarribee, Wollondilly and Wollongong.

Assistance available can include:

  • Help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged
  • Support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged road and essential public assets
  • Concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations
  • Freight subsidies for primary producers.

To apply for a concessional loan or primary producer grant, you can contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 or visit

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP)

The government has activated the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) of $1,000 per adult and $400 per child.

Financial relief was previously announced on a smaller scale, but has since been extended across south-east Queensland and northern NSW.

Those eligible for the AGDRP can apply online on the Services Australia website, or call Services Australia's Disaster Assistance line on 180 22 66.

The one-off lump sum payment is non-means-tested. It's available in local government areas for those who've suffered significant loss from the devastating weather "including a severely damaged or destroyed home or serious injury", according to the government's release.

Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA)

Meanwhile, the Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) is being provided to help employees, small business owners and farmers. It offers a maximum of 13 weeks' payment to cover lost income as a direct result of the disaster. The payment, which is taxable, is set at the maximum equivalent rate of Jobseeker Payment or Youth Allowance, depending on your circumstances.

At the time of writing (March 1), financial support had been activated in the following local government areas of Northern New South Wales: Ballina, Bellingen, Byron, Clarence Valley, Coffs Harbour, Kyogle, Lismore, Richmond Valley and Tweed.

Eligible residents can get support by calling Services Australia on 180 22 66, or via myGov. You have until 27 August 2022 to make a claim.

Elsewhere, you can visit the government's Recovery Connect website and find resources on how to prepare for, and recover from, disasters and major natural events.

Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

This is open to NSW and QLD flood-affected communities and is in addition to the $1,000 Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment. People and businesses can register their interest through Service NSW and Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority. The package includes:

  • Up to $75,000 for primary producers
  • Up to $50,000 for small businesses and not for profit organisations
  • $20,000 for sporting and community clubs

Back Home grant

Uninsured flood victims in NSW can receive up to $15,000 to repair homes, with an extra $5,000 available to replace essential household items.

Payments will be available to flood victims in the Lismore, Kyogle, Ballina, Byron, Hawkesbury, Clarence Valley, Richmond Valley and Tweed local government areas.

Business impact survey

If your business has been affected by the floods, you can fill out this survey put together by the Queensland Government to identify what assistance you need most during this difficult time. Any information you provide is confidential.

Personal hardship financial assistance

Personal hardship financial assistance has been activated for flood affected areas of Queensland including the Brisbane Local Government Area, Fraser Coast Local Government Area and Sunshine Coast Local Government Area. You can find a full list of activated areas here. You can apply online or call 1800 173 349. Eligible people can apply for the following financial assistance grants:

  • Emergency Hardship Assistance Grant. This is for people unable to meet their essential needs for food, clothing, medical supplies or temporary accommodation. You can receive $180 per person up to $900 for a family of 5 or more.
  • Essential Household Contents Grant. You might be eligible for this if you are uninsured or can't claim insurance. Financial assistance goes towards replacing or repairing essential household contents. Single adults can receive up to $1,765 and couples and families up to $5,300.
  • Structural Assistance Grant. If you're uninsured or can't claim insurance, you might be able to claim up to $10,995 if you're a single adult or up to $14,685 if you're a couple or family towards making your home safe and secure.
  • Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Grant. This Grant of up to $400 goes towards inspecting and repairing essential services such as electricity, gas or water.

If you have home insurance, you probably won't be eligible for personal hardship financial assistance. However, you can find out more about what you can claim for here.

Companies providing business support

On Thursday (3 March), The Australian Banking Association's chief executive, Anna Bligh, urged banking customers who are in financial stress to contact their bank. The ABA said those customers affected in Queensland and New South Wales would be able to access flood relief measures including repayment deferrals on home loans, personal loans and the waiving of fees and charges.

A number of companies have moved to offer relief packages, including grants, for their customers affected by the floods. Many are assessing eligibility on a case-by-case basis.

WestpacEmergency financial assistance measures, including home loan repayment deferrals of up to 3 months. Plus, a $2 million fund for small business customers – featuring cash grants of up to $3,000 per customer group.Call Westpac Assist on 1800 067 497 (including business customers).

CompanyType of relief - summaryHow to claim
ANZFinancial relief package for NSW and QLD, including short-term home loan payment relief as well as on credit cards, personal loans and some business loans.ANZ's financial hardship team can be called on 1800 149 549, or visit the ANZ website.
Aussie BroadbandUp to $250 in discounts for customers who've been significantly impacted by the floods. Up to $80 in discounts for volunteer workers.More on Aussie Broadband's disaster support can be found here.
Bendigo and Adelaide BankSupport includes home loan and business loan relief for up to 3 months. Discounted interest rates are being made available for new personal loans, for existing customers only.Visit Bendigo's website, or reach their Mortgage Help Centre on 1300 652 146.
CBARange of measures, including payment arrangements for home loans, credit cards and some business loans. Temporary overdrafts are available for some. CBA is dollar-matching donations to its CanGive Flood Appeal.Phone CBA 1800 314 695, or visit a branch where it's safe to do so. You can also visit CBA's online resources via its website.
NABA $1,000 grant to its customers and colleagues, to cover costs such as temporary accomodation, food and clothing. $1,000 business grants have also been made available.Customers who've suffered home damage can call NAB Assist on 1300 308 132. Business and agribusiness customers can call 1300 769 650.
TelstraShort- and longer-term support measures, including 25GB data packs and free call diversion services and reconnections.More details can be found on Telstra's release.

We will update this table as more relief is confirmed.

Banner with emergency contact numbers

Where you can find mental health support

If you're finding it hard to cope emotionally during the floods, you're not alone.

Beyond Blue has an online chat service for counselling and emotional support. You can also call 1300 22 4636 and speak to the mental health and wellbeing organisation.

In Queensland, you can get access to mental health support by calling 1300 642 255 – this is the state's confidential mental health telephone triage service. You can also call the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349.

If you're based in New South Wales, you can call the state's Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511 to get connected to your local mental health service, 24/7.

For acute mental health issues, it's best to visit your GP or nearest hospital. If it's an emergency, call triple zero (000).

$25m in mental health funding announced

The NSW government said it will offer $25 million in mental health support for those impacted by the floods. Funds will initially be given to those communities considered most in need.

Dominic Perrottet, the NSW Premier, said: "The additional funding of $25m, I believe will ensure that we don't just focus on the here and now but that care and support will be there now and into the future."

Note: We will continue to update this page with more information on support as it is announced. On 17 October, we added details about funding available for NSW LGAs.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site