The flight was cheap. The Queensland border was still open. What happened?Read more…
From check-in process to in-flight meals, we review flights to and from Australia to help you choose your next carrier.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Can't decide which airline to fly? Wondering what it's really like on board?
We've put the following airlines to the test and have reviewed our experiences flying and checking our their airport lounges to help you make the best decision about which carrier to book for your next trip.
All the airlines we've reviewed
Our flight reviews are based on personal and business travels on commercial flight routes during normal operation. We may write reviews based on media trips, but this will always be mentioned and we will always offer an honest, open and unbiased critique.
Key factors we consider include the following:
- Check-in process. How easy/difficult was it? Were there self-service terminals? How long were the lines at the counter? How was the service?
- Legroom. Is there enough to stretch out?
- Departure and arrival time. Was the flight prompt? If not, how did the airline handle it?
- Boarding. How organised was this?
- Price. Did the airfare match the flight quality?
- Time of the flight. Was it convenient?
- Service. Were the crew members friendly and accommodating? How timely were meals served?
- Meals. If eaten, how were the quality and taste? On low-cost airlines, if these were paid, were they well-priced?
- Entertainment. Was this up to date? How is the variety of entertainment options?
- Carry-on luggage restrictions. Is this strict? Is it imposed at the gate?
- Wi-Fi. Did the flight offer this? Was it complimentary? If not, was it worth it?
- Plane model. Is it modern or outdated?
- Frequent Flyer opportunities. Were they available? How many points and status credits can you earn on the journey?
- General atmosphere. Has the plane been cleaned well? Is the temperature comfortable?
- Quiet zones. If used, did they meet expectations?
- Layover. If there is one, what is it like? Were bags transferred or was it self-transfer?
- Sustainability. What sustainable initiatives are being run by the airline or airplane?
After flying, we rate each journey on a scale of 1 to 5 stars. Here's what the ratings mean:
- 5 stars: A truly exceptional flight with perfect service, speed, comfort and extras.
- 4 stars: An almost seamless journey with perhaps one or two insignificant issues.
- 3 stars: A comfortable flight with everything as expected.
- 2 stars: Significant issues throughout the flight process, though some saving graces.
- 1 star: A poor journey, riddled with frustrations. This could be major delays, rude service, lack of communication or disappointing meals.
Latest flight reviews
From strict baggage limits to a lack of in-flight amenities, I'll probably think twice - or at least be better prepared - before booking another AirAsia flight.Read more…
Last-minute getaways over the holidays can cost a fortune if not flying budget, but are the savings worth it?Read more…
Fantastic service and a smooth and easy journey is what I received on the inaugural Gold Coast–Seoul flight.Read more…
We took Cebu Pacific for another spin between Australia and the Philippines, this time doing some island hopping with the budget carrier.Read more…
While the world eagerly awaits the launch of Qantas's direct New York to Sydney flights, we check out how the current New York-Los Angeles-Sydney run pans out.Read more…
Popping over to New Zealand for a long weekend, Virgin proved to offer the best-value flights in the market.Read more…
At 23 hours and 25 minutes, the journey from Sydney to London is no easy feat. Does Emirates make it painful or pleasant? We took the trip to see.Read more…
Read about our latest experiences flying economy with airlines like Jetstar, Tigerair, Qantas, Virgin and more.Read more…
This well-timed, spacious and direct flight is exactly what you need to wake up refreshed and ready when you land.Read more…
Just how comfortable is this 22-hour slog in the same seat?Read more…
A free upgrade almost made up for the change in itinerary on our trip to the USA. Plus, the vegan meals were surprisingly good.Read more…
Top-notch nosh, daily flight options and optimal seating conditions make QantasLink a winner from home to Hamilton Island.Read more…
Taking off to Asia over Easter, I found Cathay Pacific offered the cheapest fares – but luckily, that didn’t come at a price.Read more…
Learn what it's like flying one of the busiest routes in the world on low-cost carrier Jetstar.Read more…
A smooth flight from start to finish with ample leg room and on-time flights. It was a shame about the breakfast, though.Read more…
A smooth, stress-free flight back to Sydney on a Sunday night.Read more…
It seems that “happy holidays” is more than just something to say at Christmas, with cheery staff and a quiet flight.Read more…
Although I’m a regular flyer on budget airlines, this time I got what I paid for. This Tigerair experience was full of delays and chaos, and was an overall unpleasant experience.Read more…
There's everything to love and nothing really to hate about this journey from Sydney to Hong Kong.Read more…
Find out what Tigerair is really like with real reviews by real travellers.Read more…
Read our review for Cathay Pacific before booking that flight.Read more…
What's it actually like flying with one of the world's cheapest airlines? Read our Ryanair reviews to find out.Read more…
It was all smooth sailing to Melbourne for New Year’s with Tigerair (though the same couldn't be said about the Sydney public transport system).Read more…
We took Etihad Airways for a spin from Sydney to Manchester via Abu Dhabi to see how the 5-star carrier stood up. Here’s how we found the check-in process, entertainment, food and more.Read more…
Read more on this topic
Jetstar 787-8 Gold Coast–Seoul flight and business class review
Fantastic service and a smooth and easy journey is what I received on the inaugural Gold Coast–Seoul flight.
Virgin Australia review: Sydney to Christchurch, economy return
Popping over to New Zealand for a long weekend, Virgin proved to offer the best-value flights in the market.
Economy flight reviews
Read about our latest experiences flying economy with airlines like Jetstar, Tigerair, Qantas, Virgin and more.
Air Canada review | Toronto to Sydney (via Vancouver)
Just how comfortable is this 22-hour slog in the same seat?
Virgin Australia review: Sydney-Adelaide
A smooth flight from start to finish with ample leg room and on-time flights. It was a shame about the breakfast, though.
Jetstar flight review: Adelaide-Sydney
A smooth, stress-free flight back to Sydney on a Sunday night.
Virgin Australia review: Sydney to Sunshine Coast (Maroochydore)
It seems that “happy holidays” is more than just something to say at Christmas, with cheery staff and a quiet flight.
Tigerair review: Melbourne to Sydney
Although I’m a regular flyer on budget airlines, this time I got what I paid for. This Tigerair experience was full of delays and chaos, and was an overall unpleasant experience.
Cathay Pacific flight review: Sydney to Hong Kong
There's everything to love and nothing really to hate about this journey from Sydney to Hong Kong.
Tigerair reviews: What do you get for those budget fares?
Find out what Tigerair is really like with real reviews by real travellers.
Ask an Expert