Flights and travel gift cards and vouchers
For the traveller who has everything, gift cards are the answer to all gifting opportunities.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
No longer a sorry go-to for the last-minute shopper, gift cards and vouchers afford you the chance to help your loved one put money toward something they really want. It's particularly handy for big-ticket items such as travel.
For the gift giver, they're now even easier to gift with many travel agencies and airlines allowing you to purchase and email the voucher within seconds.
Where to buy travel gift vouchers and cards online:
Adrenaline Gift Vouchers
Redballoon Gift Voucher
Luxury Escapes Gift Card
Artisan Experience Gift Cards
What types of gift vouchers are available?
- Hotel gift cards: Major hotel chains such as Crowne Plaza, Hilton and Radisson Blu offer gift cards. Give them to newlyweds for a honeymoon room upgrade or to a special someone you know who is overdue for a pamper staycation.
- Travel gift cards: Sometimes referred to as travel agency gift cards, this is the ultimate gift for any traveller and acts as a "down payment" or starting point for a new adventure. Whether they're still considering a trip or have booked their flight and nothing else, travel gift cards can be put towards their flight, accommodation, tours and more. Virgin Australia and Jetstar.
- Experience gift cards: For the traveller who's already booked the big stuff, buy an experience in their destination to give them memories they never knew they always wanted. This also works as a gift to friends in far places where a physical gift isn't possible or for minimalists who prefer experiences and discovery over physical items. Some experience experts that offer gift cards include Adrenaline and RedBalloon.
How do travel gift cards or vouchers work?
Essentially a travel gift card or voucher works like credit which you can redeem at specific stores or travel agencies. You'll have to read the terms and conditions, but for the most part, these should be able to be redeemed toward anything that specific store sells. Any left-over funds can typically be redeemed later on, though again, this depends on the terms and conditions.
Bear in mind that gift cards usually have an expiry date attached. So if you know your giftee isn't travelling for a while, it might be better to hold off until a later date to give them that gift of travel.
Things to consider when buying travel gift card
As a gift voucher for travel is often a substantial purchase, some things you may like to consider before choosing your gift are:
- Paper or plastic: Typically, gift cards and vouchers come in card or electronic format. Buying an electronic voucher online allows the recipient to store the voucher in their email instead of their wallet where it may get lost. It's also instantaneous, making for the perfect on-the-fly present. Physical cards purchased online need to be posted out, which can incur a postage cost. On the upside, your giftee will receive a nicely decorated card as opposed to a paper print out.
- Terms and conditions: Make a point to read the terms and conditions attached to the gift card and always check for an expiration date if the card has one. If you have questions call the customer support number, which is usually located on the back of the card.
- Travel agent or direct: Gift cards can be with the hotel/airline direct or with a travel agent such as Flight Centre. If they're loyal to an airline or hotel chain, you might prefer to purchase a gift card for that specific airline/hotel. If you're unsure, purchasing a voucher for an online travel agency enables the giftee the flexibility of booking anything from flights and hotels to cruises and experiences without having to commit to a certain airline, hotel or cruise line.
- How much to give: Ultimately this comes down to you, but be mindful of how much you're putting onto the gift card and how much the purchase price will actually cost, particularly for smaller price point items. For example, if you know that your giftee is going to use your voucher for a hotel stay but you only put $50 on it when the minimum room cost is $200. Depending on their plans and budget, it might not be worth it for them to use that voucher. On the other hand, for bigger ticket items like an international flight, it might be a nice part-payment toward a flight they're already planning to book.
Top gift voucher and card deals
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes
More guides on Finder
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
The American Express Business Card
The American Express Business Card offers reliable service, a wide range of benefits, additional features, and competitive fees.
Citi Rewards Card – Points & Gift Card Offer
Enjoy an introductory 90,000 bonus Citi reward Points, a $100 Coles eGift card, plus a reduced first-year annual fee with this Citi Rewards Card offer.
Westpac Altitude Platinum Credit Card – Existing Customer Offer
Earn Altitude rewards with Westpac’s Altitude Platinum credit card, while enjoying the benefits and privileges of platinum status.
ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card – Exclusive Offer
The ANZ Rewards Platinum Credit Card offers a competitive rewards program, $0 annual fee for the first year, a $500 gift card, a balance transfer offer and a range of complimentary insurance covers.
9 gifts for travellers that they’ll actually want | A couple of travel makers
The top 9 things to gift the traveller in your life this year – based on one travel couple's wishlist.
Citi Rewards Card – Balance Transfer Offer
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this Citi Rewards credit card offer.
Diners Club Business Card
The Diners Club Business Card can be used to earn points per $1 with over 35 million merchants – including Officeworks, Qantas and Woolworths.
Ask an Expert