Cheap flights to Germany for Christmas
Learn the top tricks that will get you to the Christmas markets for the lowest price possible.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Christmas is a magical time in Germany. As advent arrives, so too do the wintry Christmas markets which are filled with warm Christmas fare, handmade trinkets, mugs of gluhwein (mulled wine) and traditional gifts.
Whether you’re visiting friends or going on a Christmas holiday, we’ve got tips that will help you save on your upcoming trip. Read on to be in the know about when to book your European Christmas flights to catch the very best deals. And with any luck, you’ll have a white Christmas too.
Search for Christmas flights to Germany
Compare prices from hundreds of booking sites and airlines for flights to Germany below:
When’s the best time to book Christmas flights to Germany?
The best time to book flights to Germany during the Christmas period is in the Australian winter between July and August. This is when many airlines have sales for the upcoming holiday period.
By booking six months in advance you stand to save on average 5% on flight tickets. But if you’re unsure of your plans you can always take the chance of finding flight deals later in the year.
Fares are cheapest when departing before 9 December, which is great if you wish to catch the Christmas markets which generally open at the end of November.
If you intend to stay the length of Christmas and New Year’s, fares start to drop from 15 January onward, so it might be worth sticking it out for an extra fortnight to explore the region before heading home on an off-peak flight.
Tips and tricks for getting cheap Christmas flights to Germany
Use these easy tricks to help you save your money so you can spend it on your holiday instead of on getting there.
- Book early: The optimal time to book flights to Europe is six months in advance. Flight sales are more common this far ahead, though they aren’t the only ones during the year – last-minute flight sales are becoming more and more popular.
- Travel on the public holidays: Choosing to fly in or out on major holidays is how you’ll get the most bang for your buck. Christmas Day and New Year’s Day are the cheapest days in December and January for flights in general.
- Avoid flying direct: Direct flights are always the most expensive. Use a booking engine like Cheap Flights which shows you the best options for both travel time and price so you can make the smartest decision. For example, a flight that has multiple stops through somewhere such as China could save you $1,100 travelling in December versus a flight direct from Sydney to Germany.
- Book to take off midweek: Flights are more often than not cheapest to book during midweek versus the weekend as it’s more inconvenient for people to fly during the week due to work commitments and maxing out their annual leave.
- Fly into cheaper cities: Flying directly into Germany can be more expensive, so opt to fly into cheaper cities such as London, Paris or Stockholm. Once in Europe, budget airlines are widely available such as RyanAir and EasyJet which offer major discounts compared to other airlines.
More guides on Finder
Bendigo hotels | Where to stay in the Ceramic Centre of Victoria
Compare Bendigo hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Lorne hotels | Where to stay in the town of Lorne on the Great Ocean Road
Compare Lorne hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Virgin Australia’s sale is flying you across the country from $69
Calling all holidaymakers! It's time to see what's up Down Under.
This Jetstar sale gets you to the Northern Territory from $107
EXPIRED: Isn't it time you paid the Top End a visit?
The latest Jetstar sale has you scoring a $75 domestic bargain
EXPIRED: Say g'day to South Australia, Tasmania and Queensland.
Jetstar slashes prices from $89 on Gold Coast to Hobart route
EXPIRED: Consider your summer holiday plans sorted.
The best DIY kit Christmas gifts 2020
Find the perfect Christmas gift for the creative person in your life.
Jetstar drops South Australia and NSW border reopening sale with flights from $59
EXPIRED: Catch some spring sunshine across that border from October.
Cheap Christmas 2020 gifts for everyone on your list
Make Christmas special without going over budget with these affordable gift ideas.
Earn double Velocity Points on Virgin Australia flights
Book flights through to August 2021 and earn 10 Velocity Points per $1 spent.
Ask an Expert