It's almost impossible to see all of Vietnam in one trip. Discover vast cave systems and ancient temples, imperial ruins and French architecture. You can hike through rice terraces in the northern area of Sapa or kayak in Halong Bay. Coffee is taken strong and the pho must be sampled at breakfast- find time for a cooking class if you can.
Vietnam is developing rapidly in regards to tourism and there are more flight deals coming up as a result.
See our latest flight deals to Vietnam
Search for flights to Vietnam
What you can expect to pay for cheap flights to Vietnam
Here's what's considered to be a good deal compared to the average cost of a flight from Australia to Vietnam.
Flights to Vietnam from Sydney
Flights to Vietnam from Melbourne
Flights to Vietnam from Brisbane
Flights to Vietnam from Perth
Vietnam flight time
- From Sydney: Approximately 12 hrs 40 mins+ with one stopover, landing at Nội Bài International Airport
- From Melbourne: Approximately 12 hrs 40 mins + with one stopover, landing at Nội Bài International Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 11 hrs 30 mins+ with one stopover, landing at Nội Bài International Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 10 hrs + with one stopover, landing at Nội Bài International Airport
Airlines that fly to Vietnam
- Singapore Airlines
- Vietnam Airlines
Vietnam insider flight tips
- Many visitors to Vietnam fly into Ho Chi Minh City and out of Hanoi, or vice versa. Most online flight reservation sites let you make a multi-city booking; reserving in the same transaction is often no more expensive than booking return flights from the same airport. However, beware of booking separate one-way flights as this can work out to be very pricey.
- AirAsia and Jetstar almost always offer the lowest fares but checking in luggage will cost extra. If travelling with more than a few kilos it may be worth paying the extra to fly with a full-service airline that includes checked baggage in your fare, such as Vietnam Airlines, Thai Airways or Singapore Airlines. Check the airline’s website for specific route restrictions.
How to get from the airport
Hotel-organised airport transfers mean you don’t need to worry about having enough Dong when you arrive in Vietnam, as you’ll usually pay the hotel when you check out. Your driver will be waiting for you at the arrivals gate making it truly hassle-free.
You can fly to Da Nang Airport (DAD) with AirAsia, Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines, usually via Ho Chi Minh City. From here, Da Nang city is a 10-minute drive; it’s 15 minutes to the beach resorts or around 45 minutes to Hoi An. Hanoi Airport (HAN) and Ho Chi Minh City Airport (SGN) are both served by private taxis or a shared minibus service that can be reserved and paid for at counters in the arrivals terminals. Alternatively public buses leave regularly during the day from outside the terminals of both airports for a nominal fare.
It’s always best to reserve transport at a taxi counter at the airport or ask your hotel to organise it for you where possible. If not and you find one yourself, show the driver the name and address of where you are going or point to it on a map, agree to a price before getting in and make sure your driver uses the meter.