Find deals, sales and special fares to Vietnam from airports across Australia.
Vietnam is developing rapidly with regards to tourism and there are more and more flight deals coming up as a result.
It’s almost impossible to see it all in one trip. Discover vast cave systems and ancient temples, imperial ruins and French architecture. You can hike through the rice terraces in the northern area of Sapa or kayak in Halong Bay. The country is geographically diverse with a huge amount of coastline due to its S-shape.
English language skills are not a strong point for the local Vietnamese but visitors will find them extremely warm and welcoming. Coffee is taken strong and sweet and the pho must be sampled at breakfast – find time for a cookery class if you can. First-time visitors will be stunned by the organised chaos in the big cities with non-stop motorbikes everywhere.
Search for a flight to Vietnam
Vietnam flight time
- From Sydney: 8 hr 15 mins+
- From Melbourne: 8 hr 05 mins+
- From Perth: 8 hr 40 mins+
- From Brisbane: 11 hr 40 mins+
Airlines that fly to Vietnam
- Singapore Airlines
- Vietnam Airlines
Vietnam insider flight tips
- Jetstar recently announced direct flights to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) from Sydney and Melbourne to start in May 2017. These fares can be significantly lower than direct flights from competing Vietnam Airlines and Qantas, although you’ll have to pay extra to check in baggage.
- Many visitors to Vietnam fly into Ho Chi Minh City and out of Hanoi, or vice versa. Most online flight reservation sites let you make a multi-city booking; reserving in the same transaction is often no more expensive than booking return flights from the same airport. However, beware of booking separate one-way flights as this can work out to be very pricey.
- To get to Vietnam from Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide or elsewhere in Australia you’ll have to change, most commonly in Sydney, Melbourne, Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, depending on the airline. Stopping for a visit is always an option as the cheapest flights are those with long layover times. Tours of a few hours with pick-up and drop-off at the terminal are available from some airports.
- AirAsia and Jetstar almost always offer the lowest fares but checking in luggage will cost extra. If travelling with more than a few kilos it may be worth paying the extra to fly with a full-service airline that includes checked baggage in your fare, such as Vietnam Airlines, Thai Airways or Singapore Airlines. Check the airline’s website for specific route restrictions.
How to get from the airport
Hotel-organised airport transfers mean you don’t need to worry about having enough Dong when you arrive in Vietnam, as you’ll usually pay the hotel when you check out. Your driver will be waiting for you at the arrivals gate making it truly hassle-free.
You can fly to Da Nang Airport (DAD) with AirAsia, Jetstar or Vietnam Airlines, usually via Ho Chi Minh City. From here Da Nang city is a 10-minute drive; it’s 15 minutes to the beach resorts or around 45 minutes to Hoi An. Hanoi Airport (HAN) and Ho Chi Minh City Airport (SGN) are both served by private taxis or a shared minibus service that can be reserved and paid for at counters in the arrivals terminals. Alternatively public buses leave regularly during the day from outside the terminals of both airports for a nominal fare.
Unfortunately taxi scams are rife throughout Vietnam. It’s always best to reserve at a taxi counter at the airport or ask your hotel to organise it for you where possible. If not and you find one yourself, show the driver the name and address of where you are going or point to it on a map, agree to a price before getting in and make sure your driver uses the meter.