Discover deals and sales on flights to New Zealand from Australia.
The reasons for Australians to visit their closest neighbour are endless: vast national parks, towering mountains, rolling coastline, outdoor pursuits and world-renowned wine to name a few. Travellers are often surprised to find that despite its proximity, cheap flights are not that easy to come by. Plan ahead and you can discover the natural beauty of New Zealand’s spectacular landscapes without blowing your budget on the flights.
You’ll generally find the cheapest flights to New Zealand between Sydney and Auckland. Direct flights operate from four airports on Australia’s east coast to four destinations across New Zealand. Visitors can also fly indirectly from and to smaller airports on both sides.
|North America flights from $1,571 return||
|Valid for travel until 28 June 2018. Sample fare is Sydney-San Francisco with Air New Zealand. Also flying to Houston from $1,742 return.||
|New Zealand flights from $189 each way||
|Valid for travel on select dates from June - October 2018. Destinations include Christchurch, Dunedin and Queenstown. Sample fare is Melbourne-Christchurch.||
|New Zealand flights from $210 each way||
|Valid for travel on select dates from May - September 2018. Destinations include Auckland, Queenstown, Wellington and Christchurch. Sample fare is Melbourne-Auckland.||
Search for a flight to New Zealand
New Zealand flight times
- From Sydney: 3 hrs+
- From Melbourne: 3 hrs 15 mins+
- From Perth: 8 hrs 40 mins+
- From Brisbane: 3 hrs 5 mins+
Airlines that fly to New Zealand
- Air New Zealand
- Virgin Australia
New Zealand insider flight tips
- Direct flights: You can fly direct to Auckland, Christchurch, Queenstown and Wellington from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Gold Coast airports. Direct flights are also available from Norfolk Island to Auckland and between the two countries’ capitals of Canberra and Wellington. There are currently no direct flights from Perth but you can fly with a quick change elsewhere in Australia.
- Checking in luggage: Jetstar usually has the cheapest flights to New Zealand but basic fares are seat and hand luggage only so it will cost extra to take baggage and equipment. Virgin Australia and Air New Zealand’s lowest fares are also seat only – adding on baggage with the latter is cheaper than it is with Virgin. If you do need to check luggage then it’s worth considering Qantas and Emirates as they include 30kg of checked luggage in their basic economy fares.
- There’s a free bus or a 10-minute walkway between the International and Domestic terminals at Auckland Airport for those taking an indirect flight to their destination.
How to get from the airport
Visitors travelling to the respective cities can do so easily via public transport, private airport shuttle or taxi from New Zealand’s four major international airports: Auckland (AKL), Christchurch (CHC), Queenstown (ZQN) and Wellington (WLG). You can pre-book transfers online or just decide on arrival; many services run 24 hours a day. The above airports are all 20–30 minutes’ ride from the city centre, with the exception of Auckland which takes up to an hour. Taxis can be a cheaper option if travelling in a group.
You can undoubtedly get the best out of your holiday in New Zealand by choosing to self-drive. Many rental companies let you pick up a car or campervan directly from the airport terminal – there is a lot of competition so shop around. The hills and windy roads give visitors some of the most impressive views of the scenery that New Zealand is famous for.