Discover special fares and flight deals to Johannesburg from Australia.
Many travellers, enchanted by South Africa’s natural beauty, say it is one of those places they’d happily return to again and again. The main reasons are for its landscape, its nature and its wildlife. Johannesburg is the main gateway to Kruger National Park and there are several more parks within reach. A visit to South Africa’s largest city and financial hub is as exciting for the vibrancy and shopping as it is sobering for learning about South Africa’s past.
Being a relatively untravelled destination, flight deals to Johannesburg are not as common as they are to Europe and the United States. But don’t let that put you off as the flight time from Australia is much more reasonable, especially with direct flights from Sydney and Perth.
Compare prices for your exact dates:
Popular Flights coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|11 Mar 2019||Up to 10% off domestic and international flights||DSX****|
|11 Mar 2019||Up to 10% off worldwide flights||JTX****|
|11 Mar 2019||Extra 10% off domestic and international flights||BDR****|
|19 Mar 2019||South Africa flights from $1,099 return with Qantas||********|
|6 Mar 2019||Europe flights from $1,075 return||********|
Johannesburg flight times
- From Sydney: 14 hrs 10 mins
- From Melbourne: 17 hrs
- From Perth: 11 hrs 10 mins
- From Brisbane: 16 hrs 55 mins
Airlines that fly to Johannesburg
- South African Airways
- Virgin Australia
Johannesburg insider flight tips
- Virgin Australia and South African Airways offer daily direct flights to Johannesburg from Australia flying out of Perth. Qantas also offers daily flights, except for Monday and Wednesday, flying out of Sydney. When flying or connecting through Perth, the flight to Johannesburg is just over 11 hours. Other major airlines fly via Asia and the Middle East if you prefer a journey with two even legs.
- If you’ve found flights with a codeshare arrangement, such as South African Airways operated by Qantas, check both the Qantas website and the South African Airways website as one could have a cheaper fare.
- Low-cost national carriers Mango, kulula and Safair run domestic flights in South Africa. It can be cheaper to book outbound and return legs separately, with Saturday afternoon travel tending to be the cheapest. Make sure you know which airport you are landing in since Johannesburg also has a second airport, Lanseria (HLA).
- If flying with a child who is under 18, new regulations mean that you must carry their passport and a full (unabridged) birth certificate, or a copy certified in the last three months, in order to board the plane. If you are travelling as a single parent or guardian, you will need additional documents. The Australian government website Smartraveller has further advice.
How to get from the airport
O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB) is probably Africa’s busiest airport, located around 22 kilometres from Johannesburg. Expect to be swarmed by people offering taxi and transfer services when you arrive. The Australian government advises against accepting unsolicited assistance with transport when arriving at JNB and also against using ATM or foreign exchange services. Minibus taxis are not recommended either due to security concerns. You should also exercise caution when using public transport for the same reason and due to the chance of power cuts. Book your airport transport through your tour operator or hotel to be on the safe side.
There is a reliable Rea Vaya rapid transit bus to the centre of Johannesburg with stops along the way. It uses dedicated bus lanes and is safe and affordable. You can also arrange transport with various private shuttle companies in advance online or direct in the baggage claim area. You can also take a metered taxi, which will take up to 45 minutes to the city centre. There’s a taxi desk inside each Arrivals terminal, or you can find them outside with yellow taxi lights on the roof. Driving is an easy way to get around Johannesburg and surrounds, and major car rental companies have desks at the airport.