Find the best flight deals and fares to Hawaii from Australia.
Hawaii is an exotic paradise in the South Pacific blended with the convenience of North American comforts. Tourists flock to the archipelago’s breathtaking islands for national parks, beaches, volcanoes, crystal clear waters, romantic sunsets and tropical cuisine. Famous for surfing, diving and snorkelling, you can pretty much find any kind of water activity you want.
Hawaii is one of Australia’s closest holiday destinations and you can get away with a visit of less than a week. Get lost in the shopping outlets or in wonderful nature. There’s not really a bad time to visit thanks to Hawaii’s proximity to the equator. You can fly direct with a choice of airlines to Honolulu on most days from Sydney and Melbourne or with Hawaiian Airlines from Brisbane.
Search for a flight to Hawaii
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|18 Mar 2019||Up to 25% off global hotels + extra 10% off with code||GLO****|
|13 Mar 2019||Get your third day free + nab a free upgrade||TPN****|
|1 Mar 2019||Up to 50% off experiences + extra 10% off with code||FIN****|
|19 Feb 2019||Extra 15% off with code||FIN****|
|13 Feb 2019||Up to 67% off + extra $15 off with code||EXT****|
|22 Mar 2019||Easter sale: Up to 35% off Australasia and Japan hotels||********|
Hawaii flight time
- From Sydney: 9 hrs 35 mins
- From Melbourne: 10 hrs 25 mins
- From Perth: 15 hrs 10 mins
- From Brisbane: 9 hrs 25 mins
Airlines that fly to Hawaii
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Virgin Australia
Hawaii insider flight tips
- It’s possible to get great flight deals from Australia to Hawaii, but as repeat visitors will know, it’s not so affordable when you get there. Do plenty of research into where you want to go and how you can get there without breaking the bank. Package holidays that include your flights, airport transfers, accommodation and meals are worth considering if you’re on a strict budget.
- Hawaiian Airlines has one of the most generous check-in baggage allowances in the world. Aussie travellers can take up to 64kgs each, shared across two checked bags. Good news for surfers is they even let you take your surf board as part of your allowance. Jetstar also flies direct to Honolulu from Sydney and Melbourne on board Dreamliner planes for maximum comfort. Although Jetstar offers the cheapest fares, these include only 7kgs of carry-on luggage as standard. You can add on check-in baggage, meals or on-board entertainment for an extra fee but don’t forget to compare the final cost to paying the extra for a full-service airline flight.
- To get the best flight deals and to minimise spending when you’re there, don’t go during American or Australian school holidays. These fall in July-August and December-January. Try shoulder season travel in April-May and in September. April to October sees the least rainfall in Hawaii.
How to get from the airport
Honolulu International (HNL) is Hawaii’s main gateway and is only a few kilometres from the city. There are public buses and shuttle buses available to take you to the centre or to Waikiki beach. Taxis are also readily available, but they are the expensive option. TheBus, Oahu’s main bus operator, lets you travel for cheap. You can pay for individual fares or get a four-day pass.
The other major airports are Kahului (OGG), Kauai Island Lihue (LIH), Kona International Airport, Keahole (KOA) and Hilo International (ITO). Public buses serve all of them but service is limited, and there is a limit on how much luggage you can transport. Airport shuttles are also available. They have a more generous luggage allowance and don’t require reservations. You can find taxis at all airports but you should avoid these if possible due to expense. Major car rental companies, which are familiar to Aussies, operate from the airports and are an ideal option to explore on your own.
Plan in advance which islands and areas you want to visit. Internal flights are the best way to island hop and should be booked as early as possible to get a low fare. Ferries operate twice daily between Maui and Lanai only.