Discover the best flight deals to Greece from Australia.
Picture-perfect Greece is known for its coastline, ancient ruins and delicious food. It is a dream for island hoppers and boat lovers with around 200 islands surrounding the Greek coast. The mainland has a lot to offer as well with mountain ranges, golden beaches and archaeological sites.
The Aussie dollar will go far in this country, so if you find a good flight deal to Greece, then you are looking at a very budget-friendly holiday. Greece is probably the closest European country to Australia and the most logical way to get there is to land in Athens. Many popular airlines fly there via the Middle East or you can travel with a low-cost carrier via Singapore.
Cheap flights to Greece
Popular Flights coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|11 Mar 2019||Up to 10% off domestic and international flights||DSX****|
|11 Mar 2019||Up to 10% off worldwide flights||JTX****|
|11 Mar 2019||Extra 10% off domestic and international flights||BDR****|
|19 Mar 2019||South Africa flights from $1,099 return with Qantas||********|
|6 Mar 2019||Europe flights from $1,075 return||********|
Can't find anything that suits? Compare prices for your exact dates:
Greece flight times
- From Sydney: 21 hrs 20 mins +
- From Melbourne:20 hrs 40 mins +
- From Perth: 20 hrs 40 mins +
- From Brisbane: 17 hrs 20 mins +
Airlines that fly to Greece
Greece insider flight tips
- Low-cost carrier Scoot has been a talking point in the travel world with the launch of super-cheap fares to Athens via Singapore. Scoot is a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines and the fares are available from Perth, Sydney, Melbourne and the Gold Coast. Lead-in fares are seat-only, so if you are flying with a lot of luggage then it might be worth comparing the flight to other options. The stopover in Singapore Airport can be long, but luckily it is one of the top-rated airports for a layover.
- Greece is a very popular destination in the peak European summer months of July and August. March to May and September to October are still warm while avoiding peak season crowds and prices. You may find cheap flights outside of these months but be warned, many tourist areas and hotels close down out of season, especially if you are going to the islands.
- Athens is only a 4.5- to 5-hour flight from the Middle East with flights from Australia operated by Etihad, Emirates and Qatar Airlines. If you don’t like the idea of being on a plane for 14 hours, which is the first leg of the trip from Australia, you’ll need to book a 2-stop flight. Many carriers offer these with a first stop in Asia (generally Singapore or Bangkok) and a second in Europe. The total journey time is often still reasonable and you may save money on the fare too.
How to get from the airport
Athens International Airport (ATH) is about 33 kilometres from the centre of Athens. Taxis are the easiest way to get around and are reasonably priced as well, especially if travelling in a group. You’ll find the taxi rank outside Arrivals Exit 3. They charge a flat rate to the city centre which is more expensive between midnight and 5am.
The Metro Line 3 connects straight to the airport and takes around 40 minutes to Syntagma, the central square in Athens, or an hour to Piraeus port (change to line 1 at Monastiraki). Metros run every 30 minutes from 6:30am-11:30pm. Express buses run 24 hours a day from the Arrivals level. You can purchase a ticket at a kiosk or on board. The X95 goes to the centre of Athens and takes around 45 minutes. The X96 will get you to Piraeus port.
Piraeus port has numerous ferry services to the Greek islands, including ferries to Crete, Rhodes and Mykonos. It is advisable to book online in advance, especially if you’re travelling in summer. Corfu is on the opposite coast to Athens. To get there, you can rent a car and drive across the mainland (around seven hours) and then take a ferry from Igoumenitsa (1-2 hours).
You can also fly direct to a lot of the islands and beyond from Athens with budget airline Ryanair or local airlines Ellinair, Olympic Air or Aegean Airlines.