Find flight deals and cheap options to get to Detroit from Australia.
Detroit has reinvented itself in recent years, making it an exciting place to visit. The Great Lakes country experiences hot summers and icy winters, so it's most popular during the summer months. It's possible to find flight deals all year round, but if you enjoy snow, we recommend going during winter.
Detroit is known as the "Motor City"and the best way to get around is by car. The city is the original state capital of Michigan and is right on the border with Canada. It's a great place to base yourself, with Toronto in one direction and Chicago in the other.
How much are flights to Detroit?
With Detroit Metropolitan Airport being the main airport in Michigan, here's what's considered to be a good deal compared to the average cost of a flight from Australia to Detroit.
Sydney to Detroit flights
Melbourne to Detroit flights
Brisbane to Detroit flights
Perth to Detroit flights
Detroit flight time
- From Sydney: Approximately 22 hrs + with two stopovers, landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne International Airport
- From Melbourne: Approximately 24 hrs + two stopovers, landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne International Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 30 hrs + with two stopovers, landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne International Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 20 hrs + with one stopover, landing at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne International Airport
Airlines that fly to Detroit
- Air Canada
- Virgin Australia
- Flights from Australia to Detroit will involve one or two stops. Virgin Australia and Delta fly via Los Angeles (LAX), Qantas flies via Dallas (DFW) and Air Canada flies via Vancouver (YVR) and Toronto (YVZ). It may be cheaper to book direct return flights to one of these hubs and then fly on a national low-cost airline such as Spirit Airlines to Detroit.
- Chances are if you’re travelling from Australia, you intend to visit a few areas in North America. Both Toronto and Chicago are within five hours’ drive of Detroit, so it is worth comparing flights to these airports as well. Detroit itself is poorly connected with public transport, so most visitors will hire a car anyway. You can also book return flights into one airport and out from another.
- Most often, the quickest flight deals to Detroit involve a transit through Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). This is a bustling airport and passengers are required to clear customs and baggage before taking the next flight, which can involve lengthy queues. Keep this in mind when booking onward travel, or you could just decide to spend some time in LA.
Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) is divided into McNamara Terminal and North Terminal. The terminals are connected by a free shuttle. The airport is located 27 kilometres from the city centre. Each terminal has its own well-signed Ground Transportation Center where travellers will find pre-arranged shuttles to hotels as well as rental car agencies. Look out for taxis or “Rideshare” signs here if you are using a service such as Uber. Rental cars can be pre-booked or arranged via a courtesy phone from the baggage claim area and the Ground Transportation Center. A car rental is the easiest way to get around and there is plenty of free parking in Detroit itself.
The Motor City, unsurprisingly, leaves a lot to be desired in terms of public transport. To connect to the rail network (Amtrak), you’ll need to take a shuttle bus or a taxi to the Amtrak station, which will take around 30 minutes. AirRide is a public bus serving the Ann Arbor area of Detroit and SMART public buses run to downtown Detroit. Both services serve both terminals but are a slow way of getting around.