Discover flight sales and special fares to Barcelona from Australia.
Barcelona is an absolute must-see for most visitors to Europe. While Gaudi’s awe-inspiring Sagrada Familia is high on the list of popular sights, the Catalonian capital has it all: fabulous food, a moderate climate and a beach right in the city, not to mention city parks, unique architecture and a long list of shopping hot spots. To top it off, this coastal gem boasts a happening nightlife.
Barcelona El-Prat Airport (BCN) is served by all the major carriers with connections typically in the Middle East or South-East Asia. Due to its popularity Barcelona is usually included as a destination in major flight sales, so there’s always a good chance of finding a deal from Australia.
|Europe flights from $1,088 return||
|Valid for travel on select dates from 12 February - 14 March 2018. Sample fare is Perth-Istanbul. Destinations include Paris, Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Zagreb, Budapest, Prague and more.||
|Europe flights from $1,500 return||
|Valid for travel on select dates. Destinations include London, Rome, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid and more. Sample fares include Adelaide-Frankfurt and Perth-Lisbon.||
|Spain flights from $865 return||
|Valid for travel on select dates from January - June 2018. Sample fare is Brisbane-Barcelona with Air China.||
Barcelona flight times
- From Sydney: 23 hrs 55 mins +
- From Melbourne: 23 hrs 20 mins +
- From Perth: 20 hrs
- From Brisbane: 24 hrs 25 mins
Airlines that fly to Barcelona
- China Southern
Barcelona insider flight tips
- If you’re really looking for the cheapest flight from Australia to Barcelona and have a flexible timetable, you are likely to find it with Air China, China Eastern or China Southern. They usually involve two stopovers – one in China and one in Europe – which can be long enough to explore the city you’re stopping in.
- It is worth signing up to the newsletters for Emirates, Qantas and Qatar Airways as they offer the shortest flight times to Barcelona from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide via the Middle East. They also fly from Darwin with a change in Singapore or Perth. This route departs Australia for Barcelona first thing in the morning (to arrive that evening) or late at night (to arrive the following afternoon). Cathay Pacific also offers one-stop flights from Cairns, but they are considerably pricier than changing at one of the major Australian airports.
- If you’re keen to explore more of Spain or Europe while you’re there and fly back to Australia from a different airport you can book a multi-stop flight. Airlines want to keep you with them on both legs so they discount return flights. Most online travel booking websites have a multi-city option allowing you to book return flights into one city and out of another. Flying back from one of the other capitals like Madrid, Paris or Amsterdam will allow you to get back to Australia with only one stopover.
How to get from the airport
BCN is 12 kilometres from the city centre and visitors are spoilt with transport methods. It’s worth researching which transport zones you are likely to travel between so you can choose the best travel card for your needs. The T10 ticket gives you 10 journeys on all public transport methods and can be shared with members of your group. There are also multi-day Tourist Travel Passes for unlimited travel, or a Barcelona Card which includes unlimited travel as well as discounts on attractions, restaurants and souvenirs.
Aerobus is a private shuttle bus leaving from both terminals every 12 minutes. In terms of public transport, the cheapest method of all is the TMB airport bus 46 which is less frequent and has less luggage space than the Aerobus. Night buses N17 and N16 replace the 46 between 10pm and 4.45am, running every 20 minutes. You can also take the train from the airport to major hubs Estacio De Sants or Passeig de Gràcia in about 25 minutes. Terminal one arrivals should take a free shuttle to the train station entrance. If you are not going close to one of the main hubs then another option is the Airport Metro line L9 Sud which leaves every 7 minutes. Some major hotels offer courtesy airport transfers and there are also private taxis available.