Special offers and fares on flights to America from Australia.
The United States of America is a land of big cities and natural wonders. Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Francisco on the west coast are closest to Australia and enjoy favourable weather year round. Visitors to New York on the east coast can marvel at the snow in winter.
The easiest way for Australian travellers to reach the United States is to fly non-stop to Los Angeles from Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne with Qantas, Virgin Australia, Delta or United Airlines. There are a number of connecting options from other Australian airports to New York, San Francisco and beyond. It’s very common for Australian travellers to transit through Los Angeles since it’s one of the busiest airports in the world with around half of all arriving passengers changing to another flight.
Popular Flights coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|9 Oct 2018||10% off select domestic and international flights||KLM****|
|5 Oct 2018||Extra 10% off flights: Europe from $981 return||TIC****|
|21 Nov 2018||$30 off Europe flights||EUR****|
|7 Nov 2018||$120 off first class flights||FIR****|
|20 Feb 2018||$120 off first class seats||FIR****|
|21 Nov 2018||$1 return flights: Tigerair sale||********|
America flight time
- From Sydney: 13 hrs 35 mins +
- From Melbourne: 14 hrs 15 mins +
- From Perth: 21 hrs 10 mins +
- From Brisbane: 12 hrs 40 mins +
Airlines that fly to America
- American Airlines
- United Airlines
- Virgin Australia
America insider flight tips
- If you’re not looking to fly direct to Los Angeles, then a common option is to fly with an Asian carrier such as China Eastern, China Southern or Korean Air. You could also fly to Auckland with Air New Zealand or to Honolulu with Hawaiian Airlines. From these transit airports, you can take a direct flight to other parts of North and South America.
- Save yourself time and money by booking your flight to America on one ticket. This means that if there’s a delay and you miss your flight, the airline will accommodate you on the next departure. Delays are common with strict security measures in force at US airports. If this happens and you’ve booked separate flights, then you may end up bearing the cost.
- Once you’re in the United States, there are local budget airlines, such as JetBlue, Southwest and Spirit Airlines, to get you to your destination. America occupies a vast territory and many major cities have more than one airport. Don’t get caught out by accidentally booking a cheap onward flight that departs from a different airport than the one you arrive at as getting there could cost you time and money.
- While flights from the east coast of Australia take 12-14 hours to Los Angeles, you’re looking at around 20 hours to get to New York. Travellers from Perth can fly to the Big Apple via Asia or the Middle East with an airline such as Etihad or Emirates.
How to get from the airport
You’ll generally find reliable public transport from most major American airports as well as taxis and car-sharing services. Official porters outside the terminals can help you with your luggage and will expect a $1-$2 tip. You should also tip taxi drivers around 10% of the fare total. If you’re planning a road trip, then you can book a car in advance with any of the major car rental companies and get picked up at the airport. Passengers travelling onwards will find convenient shuttle services between terminals at all major airports.
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) has a shuttle bus connecting it to the public Metro Line and to popular destinations around Los Angeles. New York’s JFK airport has an economical AirTrain system connecting passengers to the New York subway line and bus services. From Las Vegas McCarran International (LAS), shuttle buses and public buses from the arrivals terminals serve hotels on or around The Strip. In Washington D.C., Reagan National Airport (DCA) has its own subway stop while Dulles International Airport (IAD) has an express shuttle service to the Metrorail.