Fiverr review for employers and freelancers
Check out what Fiverr does for both businesses and freelancers and see if it's the right platform for you.
Why spend time fiddling with a task that could take you hours when there are skilled freelancers out there willing to do it for as little as $5? With a changing workforce heading towards flexible work arrangements and businesses outsourcing creative and technical work, freelancer marketplaces can help connect employers with freelancers.
Fiverr has been around since 2010 and is a popular option for both sides of the job market. We've laid out what the key features of Fiverr are, what you can expect to pay and how it compares to its key competitors.
What is Fiverr?
From graphic designers to foreign language translators, Fiverr gives you access to online services that can be priced as low as US$5.
Freelancers can get paid for what they love to do and what they're good at while employers get access to an intuitive platform with transparent pricing options.
How does Fiver work?
Fiverr's online service marketplace makes it simple for freelancers and employers to find each other and collaborate on projects. Whether you need a quick task done or a larger scale job, you should be able to find just about any service or product in its online catalogue.
Find the services you need by browsing the different categories in the Fiverr catalogue. Alternatively, use the search function and filters to find a specific seller or service.
Buyers can review the freelancer's work samples and feedback from previous buyers to help decide on the best fit. Once you've chosen a package, you can contact the freelancer with any questions and further specifications.
Fiverr gives you the platform to advertise your services to buyers with a variety of tools at your disposal. Once you've created the seller profile you can:
- Create a gig. This is the service you sell on Fiverr and you can focus on one or offer multiple gigs
- Offer packages. You can have three different bundles as part of your gig to give buyers more choice
- Upsell your gig. Include extras that can be added by the buyer before, during, and after the order
Who can you hire?
While Fiverr is most well known for its graphic design services, specifically logo creation, there are hundreds of categories to choose from, including:
- WordPress services
- Voice over
- Whiteboard and animated explainers
- Social media marketing
- Search engine optimisation
- Data entry
- Book cover design
- Packaging design
Key features and benefits of Fiverr
Fiverr fees for employers
Signing up to Fiverr and browsing the catalogue of available services is free. A service fee of $2 applies on purchases of $40 and under and 5% applies on purchases over $40.
Fiverr fees for freelancers
Signing up for Fiverr and setting up a seller profile is free. When your order is completed, Fiverr takes 20% of the total order value.
What are the Fiverr alternatives?
Fiverr is just one online marketplace available amongst a slew of offerings aiming to pair freelancers with employers. To help you decide if it's the right fit, we've compared the key features of some of the most popular alternatives available.
|Types of services||Digital services with a worldwide user base||Digital services with a worldwide user base||Variety of service types including trades and a small number of digital services|
|Insurance||Fiverr protects sellers from fraud chargebacks||Upwork's payment protection ensures that freelancers get paid for completed work||A verified badge displays on profiles of businesses with Public Liability or Professional Indemnity insurance|
Tips on finding work on Fiverr
- Keep it professional. Your profile and gig description should have relevant and clear information only. Make sure to proofread!
- Check out your competition. Review the high performing sellers in your subcategory to get a sense of what they offer and how they describe their service
- Be Unique. It's easy to get lost in a sea of other freelancers so find what makes you special and make sure to spell it out
- Get the price right. A large part of getting shown on Fiverr is having great reviews from past customers. One strategy is to set a low price to start with and to increase your price as your value and visibility increases
- Be online and respond fast. Especially in the beginning, your response time is one of the key metrics to how you are ranked in Fiverr's algorithm
Ask an Expert