Fitbit Inc is a pioneer in smart and wearable fitness trackers.
Established in 2007 in San Francisco, California, Fitbit Inc has established itself as a developer of innovative wearable tech in the form of activity and fitness trackers. Founders James Park and Eric Friedman manage the company, which now has introduced eight distinct smart devices into the market.
The primary focus of Fitbit Inc has always been in fitness tracking at different levels to suit a variety of different types of athletes. From the individual who just wants to count steps during the day, to the serious athlete who wants to measure their daily performance, there is a Fitbit wearable device for everyone.
The Fitbit line-up of wearables
Since entering the wearable technical gear market, Fitbit has built up an impressive line of products to choose from:
- Fitbit Zip. Released in 2012, the Fitbit Zip is one of the least expensive in the collection at $79.95 AUD, and the smallest. A clip on device rather than a smartwatch, Fitbit Zip tracks the number of steps you take, how far you have travelled and the number of calories burned. More than a pedometer, this wearable device is able to sync your data with your mobile phone including Apple mobile devices and Samsung.
- Fitbit One. Released on the same date as the Fitbit Zip, the Fitbit One offers more for the athlete in the way of counting the number of stairs climbed, tracking vigorous activity, and sleep activity. Priced at $129.95 AUD, this clip on smart device is also compatible with both iOS and Android operating systems.
- Fitbit Flex. Fitbit Inc introduced the Flex in May of 2013. A wrist device, the Fitbit Flex is meant to track movements around the clock, even as you sleep. Water-resistant, the wearable tech can be used while showering and swimming, and will last up to seven days from one charge. The Flex uses a simple string of lights to help you track your goals, but you will need to sync with your mobile phone for detailed information. This slim design fitness tracker is for sale on the Fitbit website for $129.95 AUD.
- Fitbit Charge. The Charge is more of a smartwatch, displaying incoming calls from your synced mobile phone. It also has a bracelet-like slim design, with a small screen that scrolls the time, fitness stats and battery status. Priced slightly higher at $169.95, the Fitbit Charge can be purchased through the Fitbit website.
- Fitbit Charge HR. Marketed as an active fitness tracker, the Charge HR has all of the fitness tracking software of the Fitbit Flex and Charge, except it has added a sensor to track pulse and heartbeat. This wearable tech costs $199.95 AUD.
- Fitbit Surge. Fitbit classifies the Surge as a performance fitness device, retailing at $349.95. Introduced in 2014, it is the first wearable gear from Fitbit that resembles a watch more than a bracelet. It has more functions as well, including GPS, text message notifications, music controls and multi-sport tracking.
There was also a Fitbit Force released in 2011 that was similar to the Fitbit Flex. Unfortunately, a large number of consumers complained of skin burns and rashes when wearing the fitness tracker and as a precautionary measure Fitbit stopped manufacturing and recalled those already sold. Any individual who returned the Fitbit Force received a full refund on their purchase and sincere apologies from Fitbit Inc who claimed the rash either came from nickel used in the casing or the glue used to assemble the band.Back to top
Fitbit’s Tory Burch line
Fitbit has introduced a way to “dress up” their fitness trackers by partnering with acclaimed designer Tory Burch. Tory Burch collections were first launched in 2004, and are known for being colorful, with eclectic detailing. That same classy design is now available to turn a Fitbit device into a fashion statement.
You can choose to have your fitness tracker worn around the neck as a metal pendant or a metal hinged bracelet. Both models are custom designed to hold the Fitbit fitness tracking device and come in gold, silver or rose gold. If you prefer variety that is also casual, you can purchase packs of extra sports bands in sets of three. These cost $39.95 AUD each and come with teal, navy and tangerine, or violet, pink and teal. The classic pack is a set of navy, red and blue bands.
Back to top
The Fitbit website
Along with their wearable gear, Fitbit also has a free website where users can create an account and track their fitness, health and diet data. They are also able to set up goals to match either weekly or daily. There is also a small number of apps available from other providers to enhance the functions of the Fitbit device.
While you may not be able to make telephone calls or connect with your social media accounts with a Fitbit fitness tracker, they are handy devices for individuals interested in their daily physical activity. As a company, Fitbit Inc has grown rapidly by staying within its technological limits. Their interest and expertise is clearly in wearable sports tech, where they continue to excel with innovative and discreet products.
- ALSO READ: Gaming on the Apple Watch
- ALSO READ: How Your Apple Watch Can Save You Money on Life Insurance
- ALSO READ: The Complete List of TV Shows on Netflix Australia