We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Navigating the complex Australian financial regulatory environment can be tricky without the assistance of a financial services lawyer. As experts in financial services law with commercial backgrounds, they work with businesses of different sizes, structures and financing needs. If your business is in need of accessing, raising or managing finances, then consider hiring a financial services lawyer.
Where can I find a financial services lawyer online?
Does your company belong in this list?
What's in this guide?
- Where can I find a financial services lawyer online?
- What is a financial services lawyer?
- When should I use a financial services lawyer?
- Financial services lawyer vs commercial lawyer
- What does a financial services lawyer do and not do?
- How effective is a financial services lawyer?
- Do I need a financial services lawyer for my business in Australia?
- Where can I get a free quote for a financial services lawyer in Australia?
What is a financial services lawyer?
Financial services lawyers work with large and small companies across all areas of financial services law. With a combined legal and commercial background, they help companies within the financial services industry access, manage and raise finances within legal bounds.
When should I use a financial services lawyer?
Whether you are an small- to medium-sized enterprise (SME), ASX-listed or multinational company, you may need a financial services lawyer if you are seeking:
- Legal and strategic advice for your business's financials
- Support in executing complex transactions regarding business formation and structure
- Representation with legal action and dispute resolution
- Assistance complying with the regulatory requirements
Financial services lawyer vs commercial lawyer
Commercial law is a broad, industry-agnostic umbrella term encompassing competition, employment, consumer, contract, intellectual property, international trade and taxation law.
Commercial lawyers work within the regulatory frameworks of specific industries. They assist new businesses seeking to implement a business structure as well as solve legal issues affecting the client's industry.
Financial services lawyers are commercial lawyers who specialise in financial services regulatory law. Whereas commercial lawyers work across all industries, financial services lawyers work predominantly with financial institutions, financial services providers, fintech and regtech companies.
What does a financial services lawyer do and not do?
A financial services lawyer will be able to work with companies with different stages of financing needs. With expertise navigating the regulatory environment of the financial services sector, they assist with contracts and legal disputes.
Financial services lawyers provide legal advice and support with:
- Financial licensing, such as Australian Financial Services Licence and Australian Credit Licence applications
- Drafting and reviewing agreements and disclosure statements
- Legal disputes
- Responding to ASIC investigations or enforcement actions
- A financial services lawyer does not assist in areas of laws such as family, personal injury, estate planning, workers compensation, civil and criminal law matters.
How effective is a financial services lawyer?
The financial regulatory environment is complex and changing constantly, which is why it is valuable to have a financial services lawyer onboard. They will be able to ensure that your company is compliant as you continue to do business. Financial services lawyers may be particularly useful during key projects such as raising capital, new product development, outsourcing, mergers and acquisitions.
Do I need a financial services lawyer for my business in Australia?
Whether you are a startup or established company, if your business provides financial products and services, then you should consider hiring a financial services lawyer.
Where can I get a free quote for a financial services lawyer in Australia?
There are many financial services lawyers in Australia, but finding the right one for your business may take time. Some websites which let you search for lawyers allow you to filter by the area of law and request free quotes based on your needs. Being clear about your business needs will help you get faster turnaround on quotes and hire the right lawyer. Here are some places to consider:
- LegalVision: LegalVision has an enquiry form you can submit to receive a fixed fee quote.
- Lawpath: Set up a free account and submit a free quote. You will receive three proposals from their lawyers that you can compare and decide on.
- Sprintlaw: Designed for small businesses and startups, you can book a free check up to receive help on your legal needs. Sprintlaw operates on a fixed-fee basis.
- LegallyYours: Another fixed-fee legal marketplace that gives you the option to book in a free initial consultation.
Ask an Expert