How to become an F45 franchisee
Learn how to apply for and finance an F45 franchise
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
F45 Training is a gym franchise that offers intense 45-minute circuit training sessions and was founded in Australia in 2011. It now has over 1,300 gyms in 33 countries around the world and counts Mark Wahlberg among its investors.
If you're interested in buying an F45 franchise, see how they work and compare your finance options below.
What is an F45 franchise?
F45 Training operates on a franchise model, which means potential owners (franchisees) can purchase and run an F45 gym using its operational model and branding.
After buying the franchise from the franchisor or another franchisee, the owner then runs the business themselves, but also pays an ongoing franchise fee in return for marketing and support.
While you may not have as much control as if you were to start your own gym, you may benefit from the existing F45 brand awareness and are given help throughout the process of setting up your gym.
How much does an F45 franchise cost?
You will need to pay an initial franchise fee of $50,000 to purchase an F45 franchise.
This covers initial training and support, but does not cover the cost of real estate, which you must provide. The property you have must be approximately 170 square metres to be used as the gym studio.
You will also need to purchase approximately $100,000 in equipment for your gym and will pay an ongoing monthly franchise fee of $1,500, which gives you access to F45's business systems, marketing and exercise systems.
Are there any other costs?
There are a number of other costs beyond the initial franchise purchase and monthly fee that you will need to consider. These include:
- Property costs. The initial franchise fee does not cover the purchase or leasing of the property that is used for the gym.
- Working capital. You will need additional funds to help cover the cost of equipment, staff and other business needs.
- Cost of finance. If you need finance to cover your purchase of an F45 franchise, you will have to factor in the cost of this finance.
These additional costs will vary depending on your existing financial situation and funding needs, so it may be worth consulting a financial advisor to determine how much you'll need.
How to apply for an F45 franchise
Once you have the necessary funds and property, you will need to do the following to apply for an F45 franchise:
- Make an ownership inquiry on the F45 website.
- Take part in a phone interview with the franchisor.
- F45 conducts due diligence checks.
- Have a video interview with the franchisor.
- Visit a training site.
- Your application is considered by the F45 review board.
- If approved, you begin the franchise induction program.
What are my finance options?
Depending on your financial situation, you may need additional finance to cover the purchase or starting costs of your franchise.
- Secured business loan. With a secured business loan, you will need to use an existing asset, often a commercial or residential property, as security. You will generally receive a lower interest rate as a result, as well as loan terms up to 10 years. You may also be able to borrow up to $1,000,000.
- Unsecured business loan. Unlike a secured loan, you do not need to use an asset as security, but will generally only be able to borrow up to $500,000. You will also likely receive a higher rate on an unsecured loan.
- Business line of credit. A line of credit gives you ongoing access to an agreed amount, that you can use if and when you need it. You only make repayments on the funds you use and can continue to use the credit provided you make your repayments.
- Peer-to-peer loan. Many alternative lenders now offer marketplace lending, where they match borrowers with investors willing to cover the loan.
What to consider before applying for finance
- Do you have an asset to use as security? If you offer an asset as security, you will generally receive a lower rate, and may even be more likely to be approved for a loan.
- How much can I afford to borrow? While you should find a loan that covers all necessary costs, you should also have a detailed plan for how you will repay the loan, to ensure you don't borrow more than you can afford.
How do I apply for finance?
You can compare your finance options using the table below. Once you have found a loan that suits your needs, you can click "Go to site" and follow the instructions to start your application.
As part of your application, you will have to provide certain financial and personal information. This may include your business experience, credit history, current debts, liabilities and assets, and your personal financial situation. You may need to also provide a detailed business plan or revenue forecasts.
Compare F45 franchise loan options available to you
More guides on Finder
How to start a corporate merchandising business
From business loans to perfecting your sales expertise, helpful tips for launching your business.
How to start a fitness business
Read these top tips to help you launch a successful fitness company.
How to start a network engineering business
Here's how to use your IT skills to start your own network engineering business.
How to start an auto electrician business
What you need to know if you're looking to launch your own auto electrician company.
How to start an electrician business
Here's how to get started if you want to turn your skills as an electrician into a business.
2018 Toyota HiLux Review
Looking to purchase a 4x4 ute? It might be worth adding the 2018 Toyota HiLux to your shortlist.
How to save for a house deposit while still paying rent
SPONSORED: Saving enough for a house deposit while you're paying rent is challenging, but it can be done.
Be money mindful: How to develop a positive money mindset during COVID-19
SPONSORED: You need to look after your financial health, not just your physical and mental health, during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here's how to do it.
How to compare cryptocurrency exchanges
SPONSORED: The best way to compare cryptocurrency exchanges is to know how to do it yourself.
$1 million life insurance policies
Looking for $1 million life insurance? Compare policies here.
Ask an Expert