Family suspects gastro the cause of elderly woman’s death aboard cruise
Cruise operator denies claims of gastroenteritis outbreak.
Important:Travel insurance rules continue to change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. We’re working hard to keep up and make sure our guides are up to date, however some information may not be accurate during the pandemic. It’s even more important to double-check all details that matter to you before taking out cover. Please know that some policies may not be available through Finder at this time. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you're buying a policy today, it's unlikely that you'll be covered for any coronavirus-related claims
- If your travel plans go against government advice, your policy will most likely be voided and you won't be covered
According to the SHM, 79-year-old Margaret Carlson reportedly began showing signs of gastroenteritis soon after she boarded the ship.
Carlson was travelling with her daughter and teenage grandson. Her family says the ship's medical staff informed her she had likely brought the gastro bug on-board. Her daughter and grandson also fell ill during the journey.
Carlson was found dead in her room on 10 September while the ship was docked at Yorkeys Knob in Cairns.
Queensland police were called and said Carlson had died of natural causes. An autopsy will be carried out.
"An elderly passenger sadly passed away on Saturday on Pacific Jewel and our thoughts are with her family," a spokesperson for P&O said.
"There is no reported gastro outbreak onboard the ship."
Queensland Health said it hadn't received any reports of gastroenteritis on the cruise ship.
Another passenger was medically evacuated from the ship on 12 September for undisclosed reasons.
P&O Jewel is due to return to Sydney on 16 September, before disembarking again with a new group of passengers.
It's important to carefully consider and compare travel insurance options before embarking on an international or domestic cruise from Australia.
If you're a senior, find the best travel insurance policies using our comprehensive comparisons guide.
- How to watch UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor live in Australia
- Southampton vs Arsenal FA Cup fourth round: Start time and how to watch
- UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2: The magnetism and popularity of Conor McGregor
- Melbourne Renegades vs Brisbane Heat BBL: Start time, how to watch
- How to start a market research business