When it comes to partying, Europe is where it's at. From music fests and carnivals to medieval fairs, find your (next) favourite European summer festival here.
Experience European culture at its best and party your way through the numerous gastronomic feasts, music fests and cultural events for every age and taste.
Want to know which European events and festivals you should be at this September? We have found all the best ones. You know, the one with the major headliners, the quirky one, the cultural one, even one with cows. Yes, COWS.
What's more, we are hooking you up to the best ways to score tickets. Read on for all the fine details.
Top music festivals in Europe in September
Image source: Lollapalooza
1. Lollapalooza | 7-8 September 2019
- Where: Berlin, Germany
- Music genre: Rock, pop, indie and electronic.
- Top tour: Busabout's Lollapalooza festival tour including accommodation, a two-day pass and transfers to the festival and back from Berlin CBD.
It's been 28 years this year and Lollapalooza shows no sign of slowing down when it comes to delivering world-class lineups.
The 2019 edition is destination to welcome over 70,000 punters daily. It's moving address to Olympiastadion and Olympiapark in Berlin and will feature Khalid, Billie Eilish, Kings of Leon and Swedish House Mafia to its lineup.
There is also a dedicated art market, kids’ zone and some of the best local eats around.
Lollapalooza is all about spreading the good vibes so the festival connects you with charities and organisations that improve and save lives.
Image source: Outlook Festival
2. Outlook Festival | 4-8 September 2019
- Where: Pula, Croatia
- Music genre: EDM (electronic dance music)
- Tickets: Outlook Festival
Every year, a former navy fort in Croatia transforms into an open-air arena with festival stages and outdoor dance floors with laser-projected graffiti art. Dubbed as one of Croatia’s biggest summer parties of its kind, revellers soak up their favourite electronic, techno, house, rap and dubstep tunes with artists from the UK, Jamaica and beyond.
For something a little different, book a ticket on the boat parties and take the partying out to open waters. It's the perfect way to get up-close and personal with artists like Andy C, Loyle Garner and Flohio while soaking up the beautiful Croatian sights.
Image source: Into the Woods
3. Into the Woods Festival | TBC
- Where: Amersfoort, Netherlands
- Music genre: Dance
- Tickets: Into the Woods
If you are looking to escape the bustle of daily life and lose yourself to a weekend of electronic and techno music, get yourself to Into the Woods. It's an electronic music festival held in the Dutch woodlands.
With the concept of "anything goes", you will fall in love with this energetic two-day weekend in a unique setting.
Image source: Electric Picnic
4. Electric Picnic | 30 August - 1 September 2019
- Where: County Laois, Ireland
- Music genre: Various, including rock, pop, hip hop and rap.
- Tickets: Electric Picnic
Tickets to Electric Picnic sell out every year as people can't get enough of this eclectic arts and music festival. Set in the rolling Ireland lawns, this festival delivers big names like The Strokes, Florence + The Machine, Hozier and The 1975, a dedicated space for funky art installations, live storytelling and the best in Irish comedy.
Electric Picnic is a treat for all the senses, be it through music, art or the narrative. Go for your favourites but don’t be surprised if you just discover something new.
Image source: Ibiza Rocks
5. Ibiza Rocks (Closing Pool Party) | 27 September 2019
- Where: Ibiza, Spain
- Music genre: Various, including dance and pop
- Tickets: Ibiza Rocks
- Top tour: You don't have to attend Ibiza Rocks to party hard on the party island with tours as stacks of ocean and party boat tours abound throughout the summer season. Check out Viator to pick from the mix.
Ibiza Rocks is the ultimate pool party set in the biggest party island on the Mediterranean. The infamous poolside stage will have you dancing to big names.
The intimate gig setup promises you a summer party like no other whether you’re up front, dancing poolside or floating on pink flamingoes.
Book your accommodation at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel where you can enjoy VIP access right on your balcony.
Top arts and culture festivals in Europe in September
Image source: Oktoberfest
1. Oktoberfest | 21 September - 6 October 2019
- Where: Munich, Germany
- Festival type: Cultural, food
- Best tour: For the ultimate Oktoberfest experience book Topdeck's Oktoberfest Prostmeister. It starts in London and includes three days in Munich to "prost" with your beers.
The famous beer fest in Munich needs no introduction. Held annually, this 16-day folk festival will have amusement park rides, dancing, live concerts, traditional foods and of course, beer. Get yourself a beer glass and dive into the many beer tents for a time of drinking, eating and partying to live brass bands. Each year over six million guests arrive on its doorstep and around seven million litres of beer is poured.
Some not-to-be-missed highlights include beer barrel tapping – where the first barrel of beer is opened and the traditional costume and riflemen's parade.
Image source: Braemar Gathering
2. Braemar Gathering / The Scottish Highland Games | 7 September 2019
- Where: Braemar, Scotland
- Festival type: Cultural, sports
- Best tour: Take a fortnight off to explore Scotland and attend the games and see the tossing of the caber, Highland dancing, piping competitions and more.
The first official games were held in 1832 at The Princess Royal and Duke of Fife Memorial Park in Braemar.
It is traditionally attended by the British royal family. Game day typically starts at 9:30am and ends by 5pm. There are many family-friendly events, including a children’s sack race.
Image source: Regata Storica
3. Regata Storica | 1 September 2019
- Where: Venice, Italy
- Festival type: Cultural
- Best tour: Viator, complete with dressed up gondolier.
The first historical boat race was recorded in the mid-13th century and is now Venice’s most important boating event. It wouldn’t be complete without the gondolini regatta, which is where two costumed gondoliers race against their competitors. Cheer on your favourites along the Grand Canal or merely bask in the atmosphere.
The opening event of gondoliers in full period costume and concerts along the Grand Canal should not be missed.
Image source: Barcelona Tourism Board
4. Festes de la Merce | 20-24 September 2019
- Where: Barcelona, Spain
- Festival type: Cultural, street
- More information: Festes de la Merce
La Merce is the highlight of Barcelona’s festival calendar. This non-stop four day street party includes free concerts, spectacular processions and unique activities unlike any other. Some highlights include a fire run, a fire-breathing dragon, human towers and the Giants Parade, where papier-mâché characters of kings, queens and nobles march the streets.
So bring your camera, be prepared to not sleep (much) and be part of a festival that is a reflection of both tradition and modern art and culture.
Image source: Galway International Oyster Festival
5. Galway International Oyster Festival | 27-29 September 2019
- Where: Galway, Republic of Ireland
- Festival type: Food
- Best tour: Go all out with this ultimate Seven-day Oyster and Guinness Tour which features three nights in Galway to partake in the festival as well as visits to Ireland's top tourists spots such as Blarney Castle, Cliffs of Moher and the Guinness Storehouse.
It's more than just eating oysters and having one too many beers at the oldest oyster festival in the world (though that does happen). This three-day event celebrates the mollusk and other bounties of the sea but also features culinary demonstrations, cook-offs and most importantly, the famed oyster-shucking championships.
Bring your appetite – the Galway Oyster Festival isn’t for the faint-hearted.
Image source: London Design Festival
6. London Design Festival | 14-22 September 2019
The London Design Festival is made up of over 400 events spanning dozens of locations, from small local museums to tourist hotspots. This annual celebration of craft and design brings together the country's greatest thinkers, practitioners, retailers and educators.
Attend talks, workshops and navigate the many design areas and districts using the Festival app. The London Design Festival installations are a feast for the senses. While some art is static, there are audio displays, some of which you can try your hand at making.
Image source: Cows Ball
7. Cow's Ball | 15 September 2019
- Where: Bohinj, Slovenia
- Festival type: Cultural
- More information: Cow's Ball
This 61 year old Slovenian festival celebrates the homecoming of cattle to the alpine area after a summer in green pastures.
Cows are decorated with colourful wreaths and shown off in a parade accompanied by herdsmen, milkmaids and joyful music. Yup, this festival makes for great family fun. Have a go folk dancing or shop for local crafts at the market. Try local specialties and cheeses as you take in the unique culture and beautiful backdrop of farming villages.
Latest travel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|24 May 2019||Up to 58% off Vivid Sydney cruises + Extra 10% off with code||FIN****|
|24 May 2019||10% off domestic flights with code||GPR****|
|24 May 2019||Up to 20% off business with code||MPZ****|
|24 May 2019||Up to 15% off economy with code||MPZ****|
|20 May 2019||Up to 15% off airport parking across Australia||AWA****|