Cheap Europe flights to book in 2021
Compare prices, learn the best time to book and get deals on flights to Europe.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The cheaper the flight you can nab to Europe, the more money you have to spend sipping cocktails on a Mediterranean beach, shopping in Milan and cruising down the Seine, amirite?
Here are the best deals we could find available, and some tips and tricks to help you get the best price on your next flight to Europe.
Today's available Europe flight deals
How much are flights to Europe?
Flights to Europe from Western Australia and South Australia tend to be the cheapest, with fares averaging $1,200-$1,400 return. If you're flying from the east coast of Australia, expect to pay a bit more, with averages between $1,300 and $1,500.
While there are hundreds of airports around Europe, we looked at four of the most-searched destinations – London, Paris, Athens and Rome – for Australians to get an idea of what constitutes a good deal on a flight to Europe.
While those prices are the average lows, based on Skyscanner data, we've found many flight sales where prices can dip below the $1,000 mark.
Keep an eye on deals from budget airlines like Scoot, which is known for its cheap-as-chips fares to its two European destinations – Athens and Berlin. If you're not inclined to fly budget, there are benchmark sale fares between $1,000 and $1,100 from airlines like Qatar, Emirates and Etihad.
When is the cheapest time of year to fly to Europe?
The cheapest time to fly to Europe is during Australia's summer months, when it's winter in Europe, from October to April. On average, prices tend to bottom out in February, after the Christmas/New Year holiday season, but before temperatures start to warm up toward the end of March.
To get the best of both worlds – a fair price and fair weather – we suggest travelling during the shoulder season, in May-June or in September-October. If you're travelling to destinations further south in Europe, like Spain, Italy or Greece, you'll still get days in the low-mid 20C range, fewer crowds than peak summer and lower airfares.
Europe's peak season – both in terms of price and crowds – is during Australia's winter months, especially from June to August. This is when Europe is at its warmest, so if you're set on a beach holiday then you may need to pay a premium to get the best weather.
How far in advance should I book my flight to Europe?
We find with Europe, the earlier you book, the better – especially if you want to travel to Europe during its warmer months.
Airlines like Etihad, Emirates and Qatar often have early-bird Europe sales in November-December for travel from March-June.
Frequently asked questions about flights to Europe
How long does it take to fly to Europe?
Where is the cheapest place to fly to in Europe from Australia?
Which airlines fly to Europe from Australia?
Which is the best airline to fly to Europe from Australia with?
What are the major airports in Europe?
Do I need a visa to travel to Europe with an Australian passport?
Tips and tricks to finding cheap flights
- Be flexible. Once you see a heavily discounted fare to Europe, jump on it, no matter where in Europe the flight might take you. Thanks to budget carriers like Ryanair and Easyjet, once you’re in Europe, travel is cheap. It might just cost you $50 with a budget carrier to get you to the city you’d like to visit from where the sale fare takes you, while booking a ticket from Australia to your final destination could easily cost hundreds more. Plus, you might just fall in love with your bonus city!
- Consider the pros of a longer stopover. If you’re just after a cheap fare, an overnight or hours-long layover along the way could be worth saving a few hundred dollars on your fare. Longer stopovers in destinations where you can leave the airport may also be welcome. A wander around a new city for a few hours could be a nice break between two very long flights.
- Shop around: Sounds obvious, but it pays to shop around. One of the easiest ways to find cheap flights is to use a comparison booking engine like I Want That Flight, BYOJet, Wotif or CheapOAir. They compare flight prices across various airlines and travel agents and hook you up with the lowest price.
- Book a package: Package holidays can sometimes be cheaper than purchasing flights and accommodation separately. They can also save you heaps of browsing time. Flight Centre has one of the widest selection of European tours and packages online.
- Watch out for credit card fees: Many payment systems charge extra for you to pay with a credit card. Check carefully before you buy to see what fee-free options are available, such as direct debit and PayPal.
- Use those price match guarantees: Travel agents such as Expedia, Helloworld and CheapOAir offer price match guarantees. If you find the same flight cheaper elsewhere, contact them to see what they can do.
More guides on Finder
Best self-help books in Australia
These are the 6 best self-help books you can buy right now in Australia.
Kiama hotels | Where to stay in the coastal town south of Sydney
Compare Kiama hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Bendigo hotels | Where to stay in the Ceramic Centre of Victoria
Compare Bendigo hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
Newcastle hotels | Where to stay in the NSW coastal city
Compare Newcastle hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
CheapOair Black Friday deals in 2021
Score cheap flights locally and internationally with CheapOair's Black Friday deals.
Europe 2021 anyone? This Qatar Airways sale has dropped global fares from $1,159
EXPIRED: Book a flexible ticket now with the option to travel when you're ready. The streets of Spain, Italy, Greece, England and Turkey await with these flexible tickets that can be used for up to 24 months.
Amazon Prime Day book deals 2021
Check out the latest and greatest deals on books throughout the Amazon Prime Day event right here.
Victoria travel restrictions | Where you can go in April 2021
Victorians are back in lockdown – so what's open and what's not? Here's what you need to know.
Where can you go in New South Wales in April 2021? | NSW travel restrictions explained
As the state lifts bans put in place due to COVID-19, here's where you can go now, what you can do and what to keep in mind.
Ask an Expert