A fasted-paced strategy card game for everyone
Hearthstone from Blizzard Entertainment is a free-to-play online single-player collectible card game. Hearthstone is a turn-based card game where players build decks, along with a hero of their choice, to compete against other players and their decks. Using limited mana crystals to cast spells and summon minions, players aim to deplete their opponent's health to zero.
A yearly tournament is run with qualifiers throughout the winter, summer and autumn championships. The Hearthstone World Championship awards a prize of US$1 million to the winning player. Sixteen of the best players compete each year at BlizzCon, having qualified at tournaments and based on their in-game ranking.
Players qualify by earning Hearthstone Competitive Points through ranked play and official tournaments. These points determine who will be able to participate in each region’s season playoffs.
Online events are called Cups, while bigger events are called Majors. Cup events are more common during the Hearthstone Championship Tour and offer the best chance for players to enter the HTC tournament system and start earning points. Players can only earn points from Cups once a month, with the best result going through. Majors come with higher stakes and prize pools but have a harsher level of competition.
The Season Championships held in winter, spring and summer are comprised of the top four players from each region (16 in total) facing off to compete for a slice of $250,000 and a spot in the Hearthstone World Championships. The flights and accommodation fees are all covered for these players too.
The World Championship takes place in January, with the top four winners of the winter, spring and summer championships, as well as the top overall Hearthstone Competitive Point earners from each region, competing for the US$1 million prize pool (AUD$1.279 million).
Alternatively, a team-based tournament is also run annually with players representing their country at the Hearthstone Global Games. Fans are able to nominate their favourite players so the event is mostly run for the fans themselves.
Hearthstone can be a team-based game or a single player depending on the tournament and rulings. The HWC is a team-based event, whereas the majority of competitions are single events.
Australia is not yet a part of the global championship, as it does not fit into the current regions.
- Esports jargon: Your guide to the terminology used in competitive gaming
- A League of Legends tournament is coming to Sydney’s State Theatre
- 56 rising esports stars added to the roster for next week’s Gfinity Elite Series debut
- Command the Australian Centurion in World Of Tanks
- Four Australian FIFA 18 players will compete for a ticket to the Global Series Playoffs tonight
- Telstra is taking esports on the go with the power of 5G
- The AFL is teaming up with the studio behind League of Legends to build an esports stadium in Melbourne
- Gfinity announces last three clubs participating in the Elite Series
- Old Aussie rivalries live on in upcoming esports league
- Gfinity and Hoyts to transform cinemas into esports arenas