Tesla Powerwall aims to revolutionise the home battery industry with its performance as well as its aesthetic appeal.
Tesla Motors began operations in 2003, with the aim of producing electric cars that were better than their gasoline run counterparts. There are more than 50,000 Tesla vehicles on the road globally and Tesla is no longer just an automaker. With its eyes firmly set on innovation in the field of energy, it has entered the domestic energy storage market and it also offers energy solutions for businesses and utilities.
Who is Tesla?
Tesla offers Powerwall, a home battery that charges using power from solar panels or from the grid. If you use solar panels you can use Powerwall to make the most of the solar power your home generates. If not, you can still benefit by charging the unit when utility rates are low. Installing Powerwall is easy, and this completely automated unit requires little space.
Awards that Tesla has earned
- MotorTrend Magazine Awards, 2013. Tesla’s Model S awarded Car of the Year
What products are offered by Tesla Motors?
In addition to Model S and Model X cars and the Supercharger, Tesla Motor’s offers the Powerwall, a home battery.
You can get a 7 kWh daily cycle model or a 10 kWh weekly cycle model. Both provide sufficient power to take most homes through peak evening hours. If your home has higher energy requirements, you can install multiple batteries together. With 7 kWh batteries, you can add to a total of 63 kWh. With 10 kWh batteries you can go up to 90 kWh in total.
Using a Powerwall with a domestic solar power setup is fairly easy. The solar panels work in converting sunlight into electricity, and Powerwall stores any surplus energy that the panels generate. It can also charge using electricity from the grid when rates are low. An inverter converts the direct current from a Powerwall into alternate current, so it can power devices and appliances in your home.Back to top
How do I purchase a Tesla Powerwall?
Powerwall is due to begin shipping in late 2015. You can visit the Tesla Motors website to reserve a unit, and you can expect a company representative to contact you about the installation. You have a complete a basic form, which requires the following details:
- Your complete name
- Your email address
- Your phone number
- Your delivery preference, where you get to choose between late 2015, early 2016, mid 2016, late 2016 and 2017 or later
What are the pros and cons of Tesla Powerwall?
- Minimise your electricity bill. The price you pay to purchase electricity from the grid is lower than how much you get if you provide excess solar power to the grid. With this rate structure in place, making use of your own solar power makes more financial sense, and this is easy to do when you use a home battery like the Powerwall. You can also use the Powerwall to store power when utility rates are low.
- Security. If you live in an area that is prone to storms or unreliable power supply from grids, getting the Powerwall can help. This is because, in the event of a power outage, it switches to battery power automatically.
- Functionality. Typical home batteries are bulky and expensive but this is not the case with the Powerwall. It makes use of compact lithium ion batteries and it requires little in the form of maintenance.
- Requires professional installation. While installing a Powerwall does not require extensive rewiring of any kind, you still need the assistance of a trained electrician.