Victoria has many options for electricity and gas retailers, but like NSW, Victorian energy is supplied predominantly by just three providers.
There are over 30 different retailers providing power to Victorians. Many of the most prominent names in energy retail, however, produce power using unsustainable means and so the variety of alternative retailers gives conscientious Victorians the choice to buy green.
Victoria also offers rebates to its residents who hold a concession card. There are further concessions to customers over winter, and in many other circumstances.
Search and compare energy suppliers in Victoria
What is an electricity and gas provider/retailer?
Energy retailers — those that sell either electricity and gas — purchase energy from energy producers. They then deliver the energy using pre-existing grids and pipelines, which don’t belong to them but to the distributors. Energy retailers will then calculate the costs of generating the energy, transporting it, upkeeping that infrastructure, include overheads, and then charge the customer for the product.
How can an energy consultant help me find the right energy plan in Victoria?
An energy consultant can help you decide which retailer can service your needs the best. They can compare your energy use, your location, and various retailers to pair your house or business with the ideal retailer and plan.
How are energy consultants paid?
Energy consultants, also known as energy brokers, get commission through finding an energy retailer for either residence or business. Energy brokers can get paid through either or both of these methods, either i) Taking a fee from the energy retailer for securing a customer, and/or ii) Adding an often undisclosed overhead to the client’s bill.
What are the pros and cons of using an energy consultant?
Energy consultants can save you the hassle of going through and comparing all of the energy providers and plans yourself. Though the obvious con is that they can identify the cheapest available plan before adding an unseen overhead on top.Back to top
What areas of VIC have access to electricity and gas providers?
Below is VIC’s electricity distribution map of SP Ausnet, Powercor, United Energy, Citipower, Jemena, it details which areas of the VIC are serviced by which distributors. (Image from EnergyWatch)
Below is VIC’s distribution map for gas, which areas are serviced by which distributors. (Image from the APA Group).Back to top
What retailers provide energy to Victoria?
Five electricity distributors cover Victoria: CitiPower, Jemena, Powercor Australia, AusNet Services, and United Energy. Their power is then sold-on by over 30 different retailers:
- Powershop — An energy retailer with an environmental conscience. They operate completely online and offer a wide range of customer-focussed control and benefits. No lock-in contracts or plans, but individualised.
- Diamond Energy — One of the country’s leaders in supplying green power from solar fields, bioenergy, and wind. Diamond Energy are also completely GreenPower accredited. More information.
- Momentum Energy — Provide many options for reducing your bills. Commitment to renewables and pleasant customer service. More information.
- Red Energy — Offer competitive prices with two different plans with different benefits, including discounts and rewards. Exit fees apply. More information.
- Click Energy — Completely online energy retailer. They offer great customer service as well as benefits to customers with solar panels. Click Energy don’t offer plans, but tailored deals for each customer. More information.
- Lumo Energy — Lumo Energy offer many diverse packages with unique benefits. They too offer benefits for customers with solar panels. Offer bundle packages with electricity and gas for customers in VIC. More information.
- ActewAGL — ActewAGL offer 6 different plans for residents looking to set up electricity, and 6 different plans again for business. ActewAGL also provide gas to residents in VIC and therefore offer bundled packages for both utilities. More information.
- Dodo Power & Gas — Dodo Power & Gas don’t offer individual plans, but rather tailored options to individual customers. More information.
- AGL — AGL is one of the largest energy retailers, they too offer both gas and electricity bundles, helping you to keep your various bills consolidated. They also offer a variety plans to suit your needs. More information.
- Powerdirect — Powerdirect provide electricity for both home and business. They offer various plans for customers in VIC, including one to opt for up to 100% GreenPower — renewable power. More information.
- Origin Energy — Origin, along with EnergyAustralia and AGL, is one of the largest energy retailers in the country. Customers in VIC are offered 4 different plans with Origin. There are many savings and rewards to be had with Origin’s plans. More information.
- EnergyAustralia — VIC EnergyAustralia customers have access to two plans with contrasting benefits. More information.
- Simply Energy — Simply Energy offer a range of products and will help you purchase and install solar power. More information.
- Blue NRG — Blue NRG is only available to business customers. Since business’ needs vary considerably, plans are suited to each business on a case by case basis. They also have a helpful website. More information.
- ERM Business Energy — Another business-only energy provider, ERM is a specialist and prioritises high-quality customer service. More information.
- QEnergy — Providing energy to small and medium businesses as well as homes, QEnergy have experience in providing for a diversity of situations. Some of their packages also offer discounts at certain retailers. More information.
- Sanctuary Energy — Sanctuary Energy prioritise investment in renewables. Sanctuary provide a limited range of plans, customise them to your location and energy usage. More information.
- Alinta Energy — Alinta offer both electricity and gas services to both residential and business customers. Alinta offers great discounts on electricity, 30% if bills are paid on time, and no exit fees. More information.
- Commander Power — Commander Power offers electricity to businesses, but not homes. Commander give a significant discount to customers when they pay on time.
- CovaU — CovaU offer 300% discounts for pay-on-time customers. They also offer more frequent payments (as opposed to quarterly ones).
- GoEnergy — GoEnergy are a leading provider of energy to businesses. As well as providing customised plans for your business, GoEnergy also upgrade your lighting systems to more efficient setups. More information.
- Harvey Norman Energy — Harvey Norman Energy offer a single plan to residents of VIC (and SA). 20% off your bill if you pay on time, no exit fees, and $50 Harvey Norman gift card.
- Neighbourhood Energy — Neighbourhood Energy, a subsidiary of Alinta, offer electricity to both businesses and homes. They offer three different packages varying in their levels of discount, fees, and benefits. More information.
- Next Business Energy — Next Business Energy are specialised providers of electricity to small and medium businesses. They provide a range of different plans with different benefits.
- Online Power and Gas — Online Power and Gas provide an easy to use website for you to sort through their various power plans for either your home or business. Online Power and Gas offer high levels of pay-on-time discounts, even up to 35%.
- Pacific Hydro Retail — Pacific Hydro Retail offer a number of plans for your home and business. They offer two plans for home energy, and two similar plans for business. Their website, energythatcould, is simple and easy to use.
- People Energy — People Energy provide plans for both home and business. Their various plans are transparent in the benefits and disadvantages they offer.
Three groups distribute gas in Victoria: AusNet Services, Australian Gas Networks, Multinet Gas. Though there are not as many gas retailers as there are electric ones, there are still a lot to choose from:
- AGL — AGL offer three different plans for gas that vary in their available discounts.
- CovaU — CovaU offer the Gas Freedom Plan, which has up to 16% pay-on-time discount. CovaU also offer smaller, more frequent payments to avoid a large and unsightly bill at each quarter.
- Dodo Power & Gas — Dodo don’t offer plans, but customise each plan to their customer. For more information, click here.
- EnergyAustralia — For gas, EnergyAustralia provide two different options i) Flexi Saver, which offers a discount for paying on time, sign-up credit, and no exit fees, and ii) Rate Fix, a locked-in rate for 2 years, but with exit fees. More information.
- Momentum Energy — Momentum Energy promote high-quality customer service and flexible payment options. Momentum also offer electricity services. For Victorian residents, you must be connected to Momentum electricity to get Momentum gas.
- Origin Energy — For gas supply, Origin offers three packages: eSaver, DailySaver, and Origin Supply. Origin offers LPG gas delivery, too. They offer bundled packages for signing up for both electricity and gas with Origin. For more information on their gas plans, click here.
- Simply Energy — Simply Energy offer many different packages for both residential and business customers. For more information, click here.
Victoria offers a plenitude of energy options. Though there are many providers with many plans, the energy market is dominated by three, retailers, Origin, AGL, and EnergyAustralia that focus on unsustainable energy sources such as brown coal.