NSW energy concessions feature image

Energy rebates and concessions in New South Wales

How to get cheaper energy in NSW.

New South Wales offers a wide range of energy concessions and rebates. These can lower your energy bills and get you cheaper energy if you meet the requirements.

This guide explains the rebates and concessions available, and how to get them.

NSW energy rebates

The following energy rebates and concessions are available in New South Wales.

RebateEligibility RequirementsWhat it does
Energy SupplementReceiving other benefitsAutomatic rebates for your energy bill
Family Energy RebateIncome testRebates for households with dependent children or students
NSW Electricity RebateConcession cardElectricity rebates for concession cardholders
NSW Gas RebateConcession cardGas rebates for concession cardholders
Life Support RebateUse of specific medical equipmentRebates for people with energy-intensive life support equipment
Medical Energy RebateMedical diagnosis and eligible concession cardRebates for people who are medically unable to regulate their body temperature
Appliance offerConcession cardDiscounted energy-efficient appliances
Energy blackouts compensationNoneCompensation for power outages
EAPA SchemeIndependent assessmentA voucher scheme to help with temporary financial hardship
Solar feed-in tariffsHave solar panelsGives rebates for energy fed back into the power grid

Eligible concession cards

Many of the concessions will require you to hold an eligible Department of Human Services or Department of Veterans’ Affairs card.

Having any one of the following concession cards may entitle you to energy discounts and rebates in New South Wales:

Energy Supplement

You may receive regular rebates towards your energy bill if you are receiving other forms of assistance payments.

The size of the rebate depends on how you qualified for it and your current situation.

Who can get it? To qualify, you must currently be receiving at least one of the following:

How to apply: It is automatically awarded with other benefit payments. Note that this is a Commonwealth scheme and is not exclusive to New South Wales. Because this rebate is automatically applied, a number of other concessions will not apply to your entire energy bill.

Family Energy Rebate

NSW family households with dependent children can get credit towards their energy bill.

This rebate entitles you to a credit of $165 towards your energy bill, or $16.50 if your household also qualifies for the Low Income Household Rebate.

Who can get it? To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a resident of NSW whose name is on the household energy bill.
  • You must have received a Family Tax Benefit in the previous financial year.

How to apply: You can apply online if you’re eligible and have finalised your tax return for the previous year. In some situations, you might need to submit a paper application form through the mail instead.

Application deadline: Applications for the 2016-2017 benefit period close at 11 pm on June 15, 2017.

The NSW gas rebate

Homes that use natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) for necessities like cooking, heating or hot water may claim a gas rebate.

Eligible households receive $90 towards their gas bill when using a natural gas provider of their choice or $99 with LPG or when using a supplied provider, such as in residential communities or retirement villages.

Who can get it? You must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a NSW resident using LPG or natural gas for cooking, heating or hot water.
  • You must either have your name on the gas bill or be purchasing LPG in cylinder sizes of 45kg or more to use for these necessities. Proof of purchase, such as receipts, is required.
  • You must hold an eligible pensioner concession card.

Eligible pensioner concession cards

Holding any one of the following cards, and meeting the other requirements, will entitle you to the NSW gas rebate.

Commonwealth Senior Health Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.

How to apply: If you are eligible and have a natural gas account with your choice of retailer, simply call them and let them know. If you are with a supplied provider, you need to send in an application form to the NSW energy department. You must also provide the details of the eligible card.

Application deadline: To receive this rebate, you must apply by June 30 each year.

Low income household rebate

The low income household rebate provides $235 (excluding GST) to the household energy bill if you have an energy account or $258.50 for long-term residents of communities, such as caravan parks or retirement homes, who get energy bills from community operators.

Who can get it? You must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a NSW resident.
  • You must hold an eligible pensioner concession card.

Eligible pensioner concession cards

Being a cardholder of any one of the following cards may entitle you to the low income household rebate.

Commonwealth Senior Health Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.

How to apply: If you are eligible and have an account with your electricity provider, you can simply call them and let them know. If you are receiving a community energy bill, you will need to send an application form to the NSW energy department. You will need to provide your card details in both cases.

Application deadline: You must apply for this rebate annually.

Life support rebate

If someone in your home requires the use of energy-intensive equipment, you can get a rebate that varies depending on the type of machine.

Who can get it? You must be a NSW resident, and someone at your address must be using any one or more of the following:

  • Electric mobility devices. This does not include mobility scooters, but does include electric wheelchairs.
  • Oxygen concentrators. The rebate will vary depending on whether it is used part time or full time.
  • Positive airways pressure (PAP) devices. These need to be used either full time or part time.
  • Enteral feeding pumps. This includes devices such as Kangaroo Pumps, Flexiflo Patrol Pumps and others.
  • External heart pump. This is also known as a left ventricular assistance device.
  • Home dialysis. This includes haemodialysis or peritoneal automated cycler machines.
  • Phototherapy equipment. This specifically refers to blue light therapy machines.
  • Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) pumps. Examples include Volumatic Pumps and Florguard Pumps.
  • Ventilators. Ventilators need to be medically necessary and do not include humidifiers, nebulizers or vaporizers.

How to apply: If you have an account with your energy supplier, you can contact them to get the rebate. If you are receiving on-supplied energy, submit an application form to the NSW energy department.

Deadlines: You must reapply for this rebate every two years.

Medical energy rebate

A range of medical conditions can prevent the body from effectively regulating its temperature, and extremely hot or cold weather can be dangerous. The medical energy rebate is to offset the cost of heating or cooling when one of these conditions requires it.

You can get a rebate of $235 (excluding GST) if you are the energy account holder, and a rebate of $258.50 if you are an eligible resident of an on-supplied community. The eligible recipient is the person with difficulty regulating temperature, and it can be anyone living at your address.

Who can get it? You must be a NSW resident holding either:

To medically qualify, a person needs to have been diagnosed with at least one primary condition and one secondary condition by a qualified medical practitioner, who has been treating both the primary and secondary conditions for at least three months. The exception is if you’re being treated by the Royal Flying Doctor Service, in which case you may have used different physicians.

Primary qualifying conditions

Any one of the following diagnoses may count as a primary condition.

  • Autonomic system dysfunction, or loss of regulatory function, resulting from conditions such as spinal cord injury, stroke, brain injury or medical disorders.
  • Loss of skin integrity or sweating ability, such as can result from severe burns or rare skin conditions.
  • Objective reduction of function at temperature extremes, where specific tests indicate a loss of body function within certain temperature ranges, such as can occur with multiple sclerosis.
  • Hypersensitivity, where environmental temperatures can lead to increased pain or risk of medical complications.

Secondary qualifying conditions

Eligible individuals will also need to be diagnosed with one of the following secondary conditions.

  • Severe immobility, such as quadriplegia or high level paraplegia, where it results in difficulties regulating body temperature.
  • Proven difficulty regulating sweating, heart rate or blood pressure.
  • Proven loss of physical functions or aggravation of medical conditions at certain temperatures.

How to apply: Send in a completed application form, signed by your qualifying medical practitioner. If your household has an account with an energy company, you should submit the application to them. If you are receiving on-supplied energy, you should submit it to the NSW energy department instead.

Appliance offer

You can get 40% off the cost of a new fridge or 50% off a new TV.

To be eligible, you must be a NSW resident and have the following:

  • A refrigerator that’s at least 6 years old that you want to replace
  • An old plasma or cathode ray tube (CRT) television

You must also hold at least one of the following concession cards:

  • A Pensioner concession card
  • A Health care card, or Centrelink low income health care card
  • A DVA gold card

How to apply:Apply online

Energy Blackouts Compensation

You may claim $80 if you have been affected by a certain number of power outages in a 12-month period or a single extended outage. You are able to claim this rebate multiple times per year, up to a total of $320.

The requirements depend on whether you live in a rural or a metropolitan area.

Metropolitan areas. You can claim compensation if there have been more than four outages that lasted more than four hours each or one power outage of 12 hours or more.

Rural areas. You can claim compensation if there have been more than four outages that lasted more than five hours each or one power outage of 18 hours or more.

Outages do not qualify if they were the result of any of the following:

  • Shortfalls, failures on the high voltage transmission network or if power was diverted in an emergency situation
  • Planned interruptions
  • Outages caused by natural disasters or severe weather
  • Outages caused by third parties, such as vandalism or accidents

How to claim the rebate: Contact your electric company

Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) Scheme

The EAPA scheme can help keep the power on if you’re experiencing temporary financial difficulties. This is a voucher scheme, with each voucher being worth $50. Approved community welfare groups are allowed to conduct EAPA assessments and give vouchers to eligible households.

These are only available for electricity, not gas. If you think you may be eligible for the EAPA scheme, it may also be a good idea to get in touch with your electric company and look for alternative payment plans and other long-term ways of reducing costs.

How to claim EAPA vouchers

  • Book an EAPA appointment with the most suitable community welfare group for your situation.
  • If your provider accepts vouchers through Australia Post, you can redeem them at an Australia Post branch. Otherwise, you can mail them to the energy company within 14 days of receipt.

Solar energy rebates

Solar feed-in tariffs in NSW let you get rebates for having home or business solar power. These systems feed energy back into the grid, and you get a rebate depending on how much power your system is producing. These tariffs will vary between energy companies, and if you have solar panels, it can be worth looking for a provider that offers more competitive solar rebates.

  • Claim your solar rebates through your energy company
  • Learn more about solar energy rebates

Andrew Munro

Andrew writes for finder.com, comparing products, writing guides and looking for new ways to help people make smart decisions. He's a fan of insurance, business news and cryptocurrency.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

More energy guides

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Privacy & Cookies Policy and Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy.

6 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    tedOctober 7, 2018

    do they still give council rates discounts?

    • finder Customer Care
      JohnOctober 8, 2018Staff

      Hi Ted,

      Thank you for leaving a question.

      Eligible customers can apply for rebates and concessions on their energy bills. Depending on which state or territory you live in, different rebates and concessions may apply to you.

      Rebates and concessions vary, but are generally available to:

      low income earners
      individuals with medical conditions.
      Your retailer can help you identify appropriate government concession programs or rebates that may be available to you.

      You should check with your relevant state or territory government to find out if you are eligible for a rebate or concession. Hope this helps!


  2. Default Gravatar
    RuthJuly 10, 2018

    How do I access non-mains energy concession for pensioners; ie. firewood subsidy

    • Default Gravatar
      ArnoldJuly 10, 2018

      Hi Ruth,

      Thanks for your inquiry

      If you don’t use the main energy grid as much as others do, you may be entitled to the Non-Mains Energy Concession. Non-mains energy refers to the following:

      -Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)
      -Heating oil

      The rebate only applies to LPG, firewood and heating oil when you are using it for domestic heating, cooking and hot water. Also, firewood rebates are only available if your home has no other form of heating.

      The rebate depends on how much you are spending on these per year and is reviewed annually.

      For more information about the eligibility requirements and how you can apply, please check out our quick and easy guide by clicking on this link.

      Hope this information helps


  3. Default Gravatar
    lambertusMay 10, 2018

    I am a NSW aged pensioner, Am I entitled to the NSW Gas and electricity discounts from the NSW Govt?

    • finder Customer Care
      JhezelynMay 10, 2018Staff

      Hi Bert,

      Thank you for your comment.

      To be eligible for the NSW gas rebate, you must hold either a Pensioner Concession Card issued by the DHS/DVA. To apply, you must be eligible and already have a natural gas account with your preferred retailer, just simply call them. f you are with a supplied provider, you need to send an application form to the NSW energy department and must also provide the details of the eligible card.


Ask a question
Go to site