NSW has many options for electricity and gas retailers, but is controlled predominantly by just three providers.
Just three groups distribute electricity in NSW, but it is sold-on by over 20 different retailers. Gas is offered by 8 retailers, making NSW the most spoilt for choice state when it comes to selecting the best energy retailer. Though there are so many retailers, the lion’s share of the customers are associated with AGL, EnergyAustralia, and Origin Energy.
Further, energy customers in NSW are offered energy rebates if they hold a valid concession card.
Search and compare energy suppliers in NSW
How can an energy consultant help me find the right energy plan in NSW?
An energy consultant can help you decide which retailer can service your needs the best. They can compare your energy use, your location, and various retailers to pair your house or business with the ideal retailer and plan.
How are energy consultants paid?
Energy consultants, also known as energy brokers, get commission through finding an energy retailer for either residence or business. Energy brokers can get paid through either or both of these methods, either i) Taking a fee from the energy retailer for securing a customer, and/or ii) Adding an often undisclosed overhead to the client’s bill.
What are the pros and cons of using an energy consultant?
Energy consultants can save you the hassle of going through and comparing all of the energy providers and plans yourself. Though the obvious con is that they can identify the cheapest available plan before adding an unseen overhead on top.
What is an electricity and gas provider/retailer?
Energy retailers — those that sell either electricity and gas — purchase energy from energy producers. They then deliver the energy using pre-existing grids and pipelines, which don’t belong to them but to the distributors. Energy retailers will then calculate the costs of generating the energy, transporting it, upkeeping that infrastructure, include overheads, and then charge the customer for the product.
What areas of NSW have access to electricity and gas providers?
Below is NSW’s electricity distribution map of Ausgrid, Endeavour Energy, Essential Energy, it details which areas of the NSW are serviced by which distributors. (Image from Ausgrid)
Below is NSW’s distribution map for gas, which areas are serviced by which distributors. (Image from Resources and Energy).
Back to top
What retailers provide energy to NSW?
There are just three electricity distributors: Essential Energy, Ausgrid, Endeavour Energy, but many potential electricity retailers:
- Powershop — An energy retailer with an environmental conscience. They operate completely online and offer a wide range of customer-focussed control and benefits. No lock-in contracts or plans, but individualised.
- Diamond Energy — One of the country’s leaders in supplying green power from solar fields, bioenergy, and wind. Diamond Energy are also completely GreenPower accredited. More information.
- Momentum Energy — Provide many options for reducing your bills. Commitment to renewables and pleasant customer service. More information.
- Red Energy — Offer competitive prices with two different plans with different benefits, including discounts and rewards. Exit fees apply. More information.
- Click Energy — Completely online energy retailer. They offer great customer service as well as benefits to customers with solar panels. Click Energy don’t offer plans, but tailored deals for each customer. More information.
- Lumo Energy — Lumo Energy offer many diverse packages with unique benefits. They too offer benefits for customers with solar panels. More information. Offer bundle packages with electricity and gas for customers in NSW. More information.
- ActewAGL — ActewAGL offer 6 different plans for residents looking to set up electricity, and 6 different plans again for business. ActewAGL also provide gas to residents in NSW and therefore offer bundled packages for both utilities. More information.
- Dodo Power & Gas — Dodo Power & Gas don’t offer individual plans, but rather tailored options to individual customers. More information.
- AGL — AGL is one of the largest energy retailers, they too offer both gas and electricity bundles, helping you to keep your various bills consolidated. They also offer a variety plans to suit your needs. More information.
- Powerdirect — Powerdirect provide electricity for both home and business. PowerDirect offer various plans for customers in NSW, including one to opt for up to 100% GreenPower — renewable power. More information.
- Origin Energy — Origin, along with EnergyAustralia and AGL, is one of the largest energy retailers in the country. Customers in NSW are offered 4 different plans with Origin. There are many savings and rewards to be had with Origin’s plans. More information.
- EnergyAustralia — NSW EnergyAustralia customers have access to two plans with contrasting benefits. More information.
- Simply Energy — Simply Energy offer a range of products and will help you purchase and install solar power. More information.
- Blue NRG — Blue NRG is only available to business customers. Since business’ needs vary considerably, plans are suited to each business on a case by case basis. They also have a helpful website. More information.
- ERM Business Energy — Another business-only energy provider, ERM is a specialist and prioritises high-quality customer service. More information.
- QEnergy — Providing energy to small and medium businesses as well as homes, QEnergy have experience in providing for a diversity of situations. Some of their packages also offer discounts at certain retailers. More information.
- Sanctuary Energy — Sanctuary Energy prioritise investment in renewables. Sanctuary provide a limited range of plans, customise them to your location and energy usage. More information.
Though there are not as many gas retailers as compared to electric ones, there are still a lot to choose from in NSW.
- ActewAGL — ActewAGL offer just a single plan for residents: the Home Plan, which has a $0.66 c/day supply fee for natural gas. For businesses, only one plan is available, the Business Plan, which has a $1.39/day supply fee.
- AGL — AGL offer three different plans for gas that vary in their available discounts.
- Dodo Power & Gas — Dodo don’t offer plans, but customise each plan to their customer. For more information, click here.
- EnergyAustralia — For gas, EnergyAustralia provide two different options i) Flexi Saver, which offers a discount for paying on time, sign-up credit, and no exit fees, and ii) Rate Fix, a locked-in rate for 2 years, but with exit fees. More information.
- Origin Energy — For gas supply, Origin offers three packages: eSaver, DailySaver, and Origin Supply. Origin offers LPG gas delivery, too. They offer bundled packages for signing up for both electricity and gas with Origin. For more information on their gas plans, click here.
- Simply Energy — Simply Energy offer many different packages for both residential and business customers. For more information, click here.
New South Wales has many opportunities for electricity and gas providers. There are providers and plans for those conscious of the environment, their wallets, or both. There is plenty to read and research about, and an energy consultant may be necessary to work through the excess of opportunities.