We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
An employee record form is an essential document that every business in Australia needs to have. It's a relatively simple form to put together, especially with the help of a template.
We'll guide you through the steps you need to take to produce an employee record form by the end of the working day.
What's in this guide?
- What is an Employee Record Form?
- What exactly are employee records?
- When should I use an Employee Record Form?
- Employee Record Form vs Customer Information Form
- What does an Employee Record Form include and not include?
- How effective is an Employee Record Form?
- Do I need a lawyer for an Employee Record Form?
- Get access to customisable Employee Record Form templates online
- How do I write an Employee Record Form?
- Where to get free legal documents and templates online
What is an Employee Record Form?
An employee record form helps you to collect and keep a log of your employee's details in a safe, secure and streamlined manner.
According to the Fair Work Act 2009, if you're an employer, you're legally required to keep your employee's details on record. Some details you need to retain for at least seven years after an employee has left the company.
Download this template at Lawpath
What exactly are employee records?
Employee records refer to any personal information that you collect about your employees. As well as their name, address and contact details, this also includes details of an employee's start and end dates with your company, any disciplinary steps that may have been taken, health and dietary information and emergency contact details.
When should I use an Employee Record Form?
An employee record log should be in place at all times while a business is operational. You can use a form at any time to collect details from employees. You may want to use an employee record form if you're onboarding new staff, or if you need to update the details of an existing employee.
Employee Record Form vs Customer Information Form
An employee record form and a customer information form are both ways to collect and store personal details of either staff or customers. Both forms collect different information from employees or customers, and both should be safely stored per The Privacy Act 1988.
While certain employee details need to be stored for at least seven years, you should only keep customer's details on record for as long as your state laws require.
What does an Employee Record Form include and not include?
Employee record forms vary depending on the individual company. At the very least, they should cover the following:
- General records. These include the personal details of an employee such as their name, date of birth, address and contact details, as well as the employer's name and the employment commencement date.
- Pay records. This section should address the employee's rate of pay along with details of any incentive-based pay.
- Hours of work records. This should correlate to the information in an employee's employment contract and specify the hours of work that ae expected each week.
- Leave records. Details of any entitled leave and how much leave has already been taken.
- Superannuation. Information around the number of superannuation contributions made, and when.
- Termination records. Address how, when and why an employee came to leave the company.
What's not included?
This form should include factual information about the employee only. It should not address observations or opinions about the person. It's also unnecessary to include details about an employee's ethnicity or disabilities.
How effective is an Employee Record Form?
It is a legal requirement to keep employee records for seven years. Other than the legal implications of failing to keep up-to-date employee records, accurate employee records can help your HR department streamline its operations.
Do I need a lawyer for an Employee Record Form?
You won't need the help of a legal professional to put together your form, but you do need to make sure you're complying with all of the related laws and regulations. If you're struggling to put together the form, you can use an online template to give you a helping hand.
Get access to customisable Employee Record Form templates online
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write an Employee Record Form?
It's easy enough to put together your form in excel, or by using an online template. The form should be split into sections with space for you to fill in each employees details.
Where to get free legal documents and templates online
If you don't want to create your own employee record form in excel, you can use a template. You'll find downloadable legal templates across the Internet:
- Fair Work, Australia. A government resource home to lots of templates and advice around best practices in the workplace.
- Lawpath. On a mission to provide affordable legal advice for small businesses, you receive your first template for free when you sign up to one of Lawpath's subscription services.
- Business.gov.au. Designed specifically with businesses in mind, this government-run website boasts plenty of advice when it comes to putting together your employee record form and other important documents.
More guides on Finder
Web developer resumes
Find out what to include in a web developer resume and how a customisable template could help you land your dream job.
Best caravan parks in Kalbarri, Western Australia
Base yourself moments away from the West Coast’s Kalbarri National Park.
How to start a YouTube channel
Read the key points of starting a YouTube channel, including the equipment you'll need and the legal considerations to keep in mind.
How to start an event photography business
From practical steps to key legal documents, here's your checklist for launching an event photography company.
Best portable fridge freezers in Australia 2021: Single zone
There’s no shortage of cooling options when camping, working or four-wheel driving, but what are the best portable fridge freezers in Australia?
Best LEGO sets in Australia
These are the 10 best LEGO models you can buy right now in Australia.
Employment Hero InstaPay
InstaPay is a pay-on-demand service offered by Employment Hero that allows employees to access salary advances of up to $250 per week for a flat fee starting from just $2.
How to start an oven cleaning business
Learn the key points to know before launching an oven cleaning company.
How to start a graphic design business
How to use your design skills as the basis for a profitable enterprise you can run from the comfort of your home.
Graphic designer resume templates (Australia)
Get set up for success with a CV that matches high-quality visuals with the right words.
Ask an Expert