While approval can be fast, a payday loan can also attract higher costs than other personal loans. This makes it important to carefully weigh up the pros and cons before applying for a short term loan to finance emergency costs. Use this guide to compare loans and learn about the different costs, features and risks so that you can decide if this type of loan is suitable. For other support services that might be available to during a financial emergency, visit our emergency financial help page.
Are you struggling financially?
If you're struggling financially and would like to speak to someone for free financial advice, information and assistance you can call the Financial Counsellors hotline on 1800 007 007 (open from 9:30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday). If you are suffering financial problems related to the coronavirus pandemic you may be eligible for additional support. Find out more here: https://www.finder.com.au/coronavirus-financial-help
⚠️ Warning about Borrowing
Do you really need a loan today?*
It can be expensive to borrow small amounts of money and borrowing may not solve your money problems.
Check your options before you borrow:
- For information about other options for managing bills and debts, ring 1800 007 007 from anywhere in Australia to talk to a free and independent financial counsellor
- Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan
- If you are on government benefits, ask if you can receive an advance from Centrelink: Phone: 13 17 94
The Government's MoneySmart website shows you how small amount loans work and suggests other options that may help you.
* This statement is an Australian Government requirement under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009.
What is an emergency payday loan?
Also known as short term loans, this type of finance typically allows people to borrow between $500 and $2,000 for up to 12 months. Some short term lenders also offer fast applications and turnaround times of 24 hours.
Payday loan repayments are usually structured to fit with when a customer receives their salary or other form of income (for example, once per week or fortnight). As well as paying back the amount that is borrowed, customers will have to pay loan fees. These are regulated by the government for loans of up to $2,000, and can consist of a loan establishment fee of up to 20% of the amount borrowed, as well as a monthly loan fee of up to 4% of the amount borrowed. This means the cost of payday loans can be very high when compared to other personal loan options. These loans should only be used in short-term financial emergencies when you know you will be able to make the required repayments on time. They should not be used as a long term financial solution.
Sunshine Short Term Loans
Go to site
This is a short-term loan offer with a fast and easy online application for good or bad credit borrowers. You can apply today to get approved
for up to $2,000. Get your loan funded in 30 minutes - conditions apply.
- Loan Amount: $2,000
- Loan Term: 9-14 weeks
- Turnaround Time: 30 minutes - conditions apply
- Fees: 20% of loan amount + 4% of loan amount each month
- Bad credit borrowers OK
- Quick & easy Approval
- Bad credit applicants considered
- Fast approval service
- Borrow up to $2,000
Comparison of Emergency Payday Loans
How to get an emergency payday loan
People can apply for a payday loan online, providing they meet the lender's eligibility criteria. Typically, a person must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Earn a minimum income, usually around $350 a week
- Be employed, receive an income or government benefits
- Receive less than half of their income from benefits
- Get paid frequently into a bank account (not in cash) either daily, weekly or monthly
- Not be self-employed (some lenders may make an exception)
- If they have bad credit, they need to prove that your current financial situation is stable and reliable
Note that meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee that a person will be approved for a loan.
How long does it take to get a payday loan?
This depends on the individual lender. In the table above, you will see an estimated time of how long each loan will take to be processed. The average processing time is 1 business day, but some lenders may be able to provide the funds on same day when an application is submitted before 2:30pm.
How much do payday loans cost?
For loans less than $2,000 that come with terms of between 16 days and 1 year, lenders are restricted to the following fees:
- An establishment fee that is up to 20% of the loan amount
- A monthly fee that is up to 4% of the loan amount
- A government fee or charge
- A default fee or charges
If someone defaults on a loan, the maximum a lender can charge is 200% of the amount borrowed – including any repayments that were made, plus default fees. Remember, this is an extremely expensive way to borrow money and should only be used in short-term financial emergencies when you know you will be able to make all of the repayments on time. If you start to miss repayments then late fees and direct debit dishonour fees will leave you in a worse financial position than the one you started in.
The pros and cons of using payday loans for emergencies
- Quick turnaround. These loans are usually approved via an online application process and once approved you can expect to receive your money on the next business day at the latest.
- Clear repayment schedule. Before you take a loan, most payday loan providers should provide you with a clear repayment schedule that outlines each repayment you will need to make and the total amount you will need to pay. This will help you to decide if you will be able to keep up with the repayments.
- High rates and fees. Payday loans might be convenient but the rates and fees are very high. Make sure your lender is not charging you more than ASIC allows and try to only use these loans as a last resort.
- Unreliable lenders. Although there are a good deal of reputable lenders on the market, there are some unscrupulous lenders out there, so be sure you do your research before going with one lender.
Payday loans are an option to consider in emergency situations, but remember to compare your options before you apply and only submit your application if you're confident you can repay the loan.