The second studio album from the UK's golden girl is a huge collection of work.
You can never predict the future. Ellie Goulding's triumph says it all. An English singer and songwriter who plays a number of instruments, Ellie Goulding began her career after she was discovered at a university contest by Jamie Lillywhite. Lillywhite eventually became Goulding's manager and A&R man and introduced her to Starsmith, who then became the primary collaborator and producer of her first studio album, Lights.
Goulding, whose music is known to have been influenced mainly by Kanye West and Lauryn Hill among other R&B and hip hop artists, has a trademark breathy tone matched with raw emotion.
Released in October 2012, Goulding's second album entitled Halcyon garnered positive reviews in Australia, New Zealand and UK album charts. It also gained positive reviews from critics as it landed at number nine on the Billboard 200 Chart in the United States.
Current Promo Codes for Ellie Goulding - Halcyon - September 2018
Incorporating distinctive sound elements of folk, pop and electronic dance music, the idea behind Halcyon is of days of youth and happiness and peace. A Halcyon can also a mythical bird that breeds during winter time in a nest floating on the sea and has the power of calming the winds and waves. Whatever the motif behind the album, these ideas definitely come to the fore when you're listening to Halcyon. The album is a mish-mash of Goulding's breath and vibrato-soaked vocals and a huge range of different backing tracks.
Anything Could Happen is an electro ballad became a top 5 hit in the UK and a number one dance smash in the United States. The song's title is emblematic of Goulding's own journey and as a result comes off as a believable, positive and incredibly catchy tune. Goulding writes a narrative with this album and it's plain to see part of this story includes her journey through her break up with DJ Greg James.
Halcyon Days, the expanded version
With the success of Halcyon came Halcyon Days, an expanded version that features ten additional tracks and was released on August 26, 2013. Burn has become Goulding's first number one single in the UK which was then followed by I Need Your Love and How Long Will I Love You.
Halcyon and Halcyon Days favourite tracks
Here are some of the songs that we feel make the album a mix of emotion and beats.
- Don't Say A Word. The album's opening track begins with a dark, earthy sound and pulls you in with an invigorating drum track and forlorn synths. If you're a fan of Toronto-based rapper Drake, whom Goulding has spoken about in the past, you'll notice he sampled part of this track for his own track Pound Cake, from his 2013 album Nothing Was The Same.
- My Blood. The second song in the deluxe album is a heartfelt tale of breakup and a higher power. Goulding's chorus evokes feelings of a gospel choir, with her verses acting as a sermon with some pretty hefty emotional weight behind them.
- Anything Could Happen. This single tore up the charts and it's hard to see why not. It features an insanely catchy chorus over simple lyrics which makes for a motivational track you'll definitely want to exercise or party to.
- Only You. Goulding and co are adept at manipulating sound and the sample used for this from her previous work is testament to this.
- Halcyon. The namesake of the album is simple in musical choices, allowing us to hear more of Goulding's vocals and presents a nice change from busier tracks such as Only You.
- Figure 8. Goulding's fascination with dubstep certainly shines through on this track, so you have been warned. Listeners are left with an escalating track with an impressive drop.
- Explosions. A beautiful song that works wonders with crisp vocals and backing vocals. As always, it has the trademark emotion we've come to expect from Goulding and is more economical in its backing music choices.
- Atlantis. A break-up song, Goulding is lost in love and has been balancing between moving on and escaping and finding solace. The intense vocals on this song envelope this track almost completely.
- Burn. As mentioned above, this track has been hugely popular. It's quicker than much of the material on the rest of the album, but has an unforgettable hook and drum beat.
- Stay Awake. A more traditional house track, with an addictive drum beat which takes centre stage.
Ellie Goulding is an artist who's never failed to leave a positive impression to followers and continues to grow and shine brightly.
Getting a copy of Halcyon or Halcyon Days is more than worth it. Halcyon is a melting pot of sounds and is truly beyond comparison. If you're only just starting to listen to Ellie Goulding, Halcyon Days will be a bit overwhelming - the iTunes version has 29 tracks—but once you find your bearings, you'll appreciate the experience that it gives.