Avoid the safety risks of fixing your own electrics with a professional electrician service.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Hiring a quality electrician can help you to fix up a host of different jobs around your home, both now and in the future. This can include repairing smoke alarms, maintaining security systems, installing lights and much more.
Use this guide to get clued up on how to find electrician services and get the right tradesperson for your job.
What's in this guide?
- What electrician services are available?
- What is included in an electrician service?
- How do I book an electrician?
- How much does an electrician cost?
- How do I compare electrician services?
- How should I prepare for an electrician?
- What to consider when booking an electrician?
- Do I need to be home for an electrician?
- Pros and Cons of an electrician service
- Frequently asked questions
What electrician services are available?
There are lots of different electrician services to consider and the one that fits your needs will depend on your circumstances. These services are typically offered by trained specialists in certain fields. These include:
Domestic Electrical Installers
This is the most common type of electrician. They will come to your home and do a variety of jobs: from fixing sockets to rewiring your whole property.
Installation electricians work on homes as well as commercial projects. They are trained in installing lighting, security, power and fire protection systems.
Maintenance electricians are trained to make sure that all electrical items and systems are running safely and efficiently. They will generally visit a business, maintain power grids and fix any machinery that's faulty in a workplace such as a factory.
Electrotechnical Panel Builder
Electrotechnical panel builders are trained in Information Technology (IT). They can build, repair and manage electrical control panels which ventilate, heat and refrigerate homes, businesses and equipment.
Instrumentation electricians will test and find faults with building environmental systems. They are highly trained in finding faults in heating, refrigeration and air conditioning units.
What is included in an electrician service?
Typical and common tasks that electrician services will do include:
- Installing and repairing fuse boxes.
- Upgrading RCD (safety switch) installations.
- Electrical Repairs.
- Downlights and LED lighting.
- Installing sockets and switches.
- Installing appliances.
- Rewiring electrical items, such as TVs
- Installing and repairing heating.
- Installing and repairing alarm systems.
- Outdoor lighting and socket installation.
- Fibre optic cable installation.
- Troubleshooting and repairing any electrical malfunctions.
A good electrician service has operatives who are trained in these and other types of installing, wiring and repairing.
How do I book an electrician?
It can be straightforward to book an electrician service online. Start by heading to the website of an electrician, where you should find the relevant contact details. Either email, ring or use the contact form to book an electrician service. Make sure to specify what your problem is and see if they'll come to your home to give you a quote.
How much does an electrician cost?
The cost of an electrician's call-out fee alone varies from around $50 to $100 (or more). According to Oneflare data, the average reported cost of an installation job typically ranges between $160 and $300. You'll also need to factor in other costs such as any materials needed.
Rates will vary a lot depending on the complexity of the task, how easy it is to access the job among other factors. Electrical jobs can take some time, as they are often quite complex. Always ask how long a job is expected to take and what exactly is included in your quote.
How do I compare electrician services?
To compare electrician services, you should find the websites of local tradespeople in your area. All trustworthy electrician services will have an online presence. Once you've reached out to them and have gathered plenty of information from them, you can make a comparison of their services, experience and price with other companies.
Alternatively, you may want to try a website such as Airtasker that allows you to easily set and negotiate quote prices and see customer ratings.
How should I prepare for an electrician?
Before an electrician arrives, remove anything that could be in the way of the job. Also, make sure the electrician can easily access your home's main electrical panel.
Fragile items should be kept away from the area or room they are working in. And be sure to move any furniture, rugs or pictures from the area.
Ensure there are no leaks anywhere near the electrics. If there is, you'll need to tell the electrician before they visit and take heed of any safety advice they give you. Not doing this could potentially lead to a serious accident.
What to consider when booking an electrician?
Many electrician services in Australia do an excellent job and are highly trustworthy. Nevertheless, it's important to still be careful before you settle on an electrician. Consider the following questions while comparing your options:
- Is the electrician fully licensed and insured? Electricians in all states and territories in Australia need to have an electrical license to undertake electrical work. Ask to see any relevant paperwork before hiring them.
- Are they registered? Most states also require electricians to be 'Registered Electrical Contractors' (RECs) before they can run an electrical contracting firm or perform electrical work. Check for any laws that relate to your state.
- Should I consider a local service? This may be more convenient and it can stop you from being charged for the electrician's travel time.
- Is there a guarantee? For instance, do they offer a no-fix-no-fee service?
- Is the call-out fee included in your quote? Check to see if you'll be charged a fixed amount for the completion of the task. Generally, an electrician's costs are broken down with a call-out fee, an hourly fee (for the labour) plus a charge for any materials.
- How can I verify the service? You should always check an electrician's references. A quick look on websites like Airtasker or via Google Reviews could help you to establish the reputation of an electrician in your area. Or, you could ask for recommendations in your neighbourhood. If you're feeling brave, you could ask the electrician for some phone numbers of recent clients.
Do I need to be home for an electrician?
It can be beneficial but, on the other hand, it isn't always necessary or suitable for you to be at home while the work is taking place. Due to safety considerations, there are some electrical jobs that you won't be allowed to be near. If an electrician needs to use sophisticated equipment, they may want you to not distract them to ensure they are concentrating and doing a thorough job. If the job requires your electricity to be turned off, you may prefer to be away from the house anyway.
Pros and Cons of an electrician service
- Peace of mind that your work will be completed safely
- If you botch a DIY job, you're not likely to be covered by your home insurance
- Electrician services can be expensive
Frequently asked questions
How can I find an emergency electrician near me?
There are some useful websites where you can enter what you need and your postcode. Here are just some of them:
Hipages lets customers find the right electrician services by answering a few questions. Let them know the job you need completing and they will match you with a local electrician who will get your job done.
- Easy-to-use website.
- Quickly find people near you.
The Yellow Pages list all electricians near you and make it easy to find their contact information.
- Clear listings of contact details.
- Wide range of electricians available.
Airtasker allows users to look at profiles and reviews to find the best electrician for their task. When you accept an offer, your payment is held securely until the project is finished.
- Write a brief for your project and an electrician service will bid for the chance to work on the task.
- Receive offers from multiple electricians so you can easily compare prices and services.
- It's easy to see customer reviews.
At what age should a house be rewired?
Unfortunately, there isn't a consensus on the time. Some professionals may tell you to get your property rewired at least every 25 years or so.
What won't be covered by an electrician?
Electrical services can all differ, what one electrician can't do another one may be highly trained in. It's best to ask beforehand what the electrician can and can't do. Generally, anything related to electrics they can do. That said, some electricians are more focused on smaller domestic jobs while others are trained to meet large constructions tasks.Back to top
More guides on Finder
LCD TV repair
Find an LCD TV screen repair service to fix your device.
Phone line installation
Find out how to get a new phone line connected to your home or business, and what to know when choosing an installation service.
Car stereo installation services
Upgrade your car stereo using an expert car stereo installation service.
Headphone repair services
You don’t have to buy new expensive headphones. Here’s how to find a repair service.
Security camera installation services
How to find and book a quality security camera installer online.