Best Rated Electric BBQ Brand: George Foreman
Australian customers have chosen George Foreman as the best electric BBQ brand, with 89% of surveyed customers recommending George Foreman grills. Started by an American boxing champion, the company now sells BBQs around the world. George Foreman electric BBQs received the highest overall score as well as high scores for build quality and ease of use.
Quick facts about electric BBQs
- Electric BBQs are portable, convenient, and easy to set up and use.
- The most important factors to consider when comparing electric BBQs are the size of the grill plate and the price.
- Prices typically range from $150 up to around $700.
Compare electric BBQs
How do electric BBQs work?
While gas BBQs are the most popular choice among Australian outdoor cooks, electric BBQs are easier to use. All you have to do is plug your electric BBQ in at a powerpoint and switch it on.
Electric BBQs heat up quickly so you can get dinner on the table in no time at all. They also require minimal maintenance, are easy to keep clean and you don't have to worry about running out of gas when you're halfway through cooking a meal.
Due to their small size, electric BBQs are commonly a good choice for homes with limited outdoor space. And unlike BBQs that use an open flame and require ventilation, electric BBQs are much more suitable for use on undercover balconies. Electric BBQs are typically quite light in weight and are designed to be easy to transport to anywhere you have access to a power source.
How to compare electric BBQs
If you're shopping for an electric BBQ, you can compare BBQs from a range of manufacturers. Some electric BBQs are designed to only be used on a tabletop, but many also come with either a stand or a trolley so that they can be used just about anywhere you have access to a powerpoint.
Entry-level electric BBQs are priced around the $150 mark, with premium models typically topping out at around $700.
Before you decide on the best electric BBQ for your needs, make sure you consider the following factors:
Electric BBQs vs gas BBQs vs charcoal BBQs
Unsure whether an electric BBQ is the right choice? You also have the option of choosing a gas or charcoal BBQ.
- Gas BBQs. For versatility, ease of use and a great BBQ flavour, it's hard to go past a gas BBQ. Energy-efficient and quick to heat up, gas BBQs also make it easy to control the temperature. They're also available in a wide range of sizes, from compact two-burner units right up to eight-burner behemoths. Of course, you'll either need a gas connection or be willing to replace your gas bottle whenever you run out. Find out more about choosing one in our gas BBQ buying guide.
- Charcoal BBQs. These BBQs use charcoal as their fuel to heat and cook meat, producing moist and tender meat with a delicious smoky flavour. However, they do take a while to heat up and often produce a whole lot of smoke, so they're not a convenient choice if you're looking for a quick way to barbecue sausages and steaks for family and friends.
4 things to consider
Consider these four factors before you buy an electric BBQ:
- Limited choice. There's only a limited number of electric BBQs on the market, and you'll have many more options to choose from if you select a gas BBQ instead.
- Not as authentic. Critics of electric BBQs point out that these models don't produce the same authentic flavour you get from grilling meat and other foods over a flame. If that traditional BBQ flavour is important to you, an electric BBQ may not be the right choice.
- Not for large families. Electric BBQs are typically designed to be compact and portable. If you need to cook for a large family, an electric BBQ may not offer enough cooking space.
- Don't forget about maintenance. Proper maintenance will help you prolong the life of your BBQ. Make sure you clean it after each use and protect it from the elements whenever possible.
Best rated electric BBQ brand award breakdown
Ask an Expert