Career & Education Help Guide
Apply these secret techniques to improve your education and career.
It would be an unusual person indeed who would dismiss education as being a useless pursuit. As the world becomes increasingly complex and technologically driven, education is becoming even more important in our daily lives.
Education is of vital importance to anybody who is trying to create the right building blocks to establish a career. Without education we have no future, not just as individuals but as a society in general. The reasons to educate yourself and give yourself the best opportunity to enjoy a life long career of your own choosing will include the following:
- A professional career usually requires a university degree. To be able to enter a professional career it is imperative that you obtain a university degree, this is true in most cases, although there can be certain exceptions. A university education is however the most usual way to go on to establish yourself in one of the professions. Once your university education is complete you are judged as being sufficiently trained to pursue the occupation you have been training yourself for and you can then practice your profession in most countries of the world. As one present day university student put it, 'It plays a crucial role in developing skills, gaining and expanding my knowledge about the world and can open the doors to many different future career opportunities.'
- A university degree offers many valuable learning experiences. Others see a university education as going even further such as it being more than just learning from books, it’s also the new friendships you make, the events you get to attend and the experiences you come across, all things that ready you for the future. Education is therefore more than what you are taught, it’s what you experience and how you put that experience to work in order to help make you a better person. Many careers don't require a university education, they may be more trade related but the building of a house, or the wiring of an office block can never be achieved by a tradesperson without first having submitted to an education.
- Education and a career, regardless of whether that career is professional or trade related, cannot be separated. It all requires learning and the secret to success in both fields is how that leaning is applied. One student hit the nail on the head when he said that learning is eternal. It gives you an idea about the type of person you want to be and what it is you want to do with your life. When it all comes down to it education can be looked on as being the way forward in bettering yourself and in doing that helps you contribute to making the society you live in a better place in the future.
- However you look at it education is costly. It's costly to governments and can be costly to students when you take into account the many years they are willing to sacrifice by not earning their own way in life so they can earn more in the future when they begin their working careers. The higher the earnings a person can finish up receiving once their university or trade training days are over the higher the taxes will be that they will have to pay and therefore the more the government will recoup in income taxes. Education can therefore be looked at as being a profitable investment made by governments into the future of its citizens.
- One part of change taking place in education is the access to books and the ability to research generally. Whereas in the past the purchase of books every semester was a large cost every student had to bare, many are now accessing the information they need from the internet. It wasn't unusual for university students to have to spend at least $100 every semester on books. Some kept these books in case they had to repeat the subject but others who were more confident would sell their previous semester books in order to finance the books for the next semester. A lot of trading also took place. The internet however is changing the need to purchase books, as well as the fight to get to the library first to get a certain book before they were all taken up. Many students are now relying a lot on Wikipedia where the most up to date information from reputable sources can be located. It is also free and readily assessable 24 hours a day.
- The problem with books has been their cost and availability, even then many students admit to only reading small parts of them. Many books can be obtained online and the cheapest is at the Student VIP website. At this website you are able to sell the book back when you are finished with it so somebody else can benefit. Much research is carried out through the various university library websites and other professional organisations. The internet, however, is fast becoming the place where most students are sourcing their information. In fact over half of students are now using the internet in preference to that of books. Students state they favour the internet because the information they are seeking can be located much faster and it is cheaper. University lecturers prefer it when students reference books rather than the internet and book references are often more reliable and detailed.
- Besides books many students have other purchases they have to make from time to time. These things can be in the form of medical equipment in the case of student doctors to that of certain clothing requirements depending on the course you have undertaken.
- Other important parts of university life include membership of various clubs and organisations. It is in these areas of relaxation where lifelong friendships can be first forged, although the time spent in such pursuits can depend a lot on how you are going in your course. If you are on top of things you will be more inclined to spend time is such places rather than be up in your room studying.
- Some students take advantage of becoming an exchange student in another country. This can prove to be invaluable in later years as it expands your life experiences at an early age. Once again new friendships are bound to result from such excursions from your day to day routine and the lessons learned from such an experience can often be put to good use in later life.
Once it is all over and your formal education is behind you, you will be ready to embark on your career. This is where you will find your education is really just starting. Up until now all you have been doing is learning how to learn. You will now have to put it all into practice and continue with the next stage of your life long education. At least you will now know how to go about it in the right way.
Ask an Expert