Edge multi-currency wallet review
Learn all about the Edge digital bitcoin wallet.
Airbitz becomes EdgeThe predecessor to the Edge Wallet, the Airbitz Bitcoin Wallet, was launched in 2014. Edge Wallet was originally known as Airbitz, but rebranded to its current moniker in October 2017. The new wallet is designed to offer increased security and a range of other improved features to users.
What is Edge?
Edge uses client-side encryption to encrypt all of your private data on your device. This means you retain complete control of your digital assets, and there's no need to pass your phone number, ID or any other private information to Edge.
In the meantime, you can purchase Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and Ethereum with a credit card using Simplex, a partner of Edge. US dollars and euros are the supported currencies, and the cryptos you purchase are deposited directly into your Edge Wallet.
- Available for Android 6 or higher and Apple iOS 10 or higher
- Not compatible with desktop
Pros and cons
- Beginner friendly with an easy-to-use interface
- Strong security features, including two-factor authentication
- Stores 12 popular cryptos
- Offers in-app exchanges and crypto purchases
- Open-source code
- Lack of web interface
- Some features still coming soon at time of writing (July 2018)
How much does it cost?
Edge can be downloaded to your mobile device for free. You also won't be charged any fees for receiving currency into your wallet, although mining or network fees do apply when you send funds. However, these fees don't go to Edge but to the miners of the network.
If you want to purchase bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash or Ethereum through the app via Simplex, a total fee of 6% applies. This consists of:
- Edge fee: 1% (no minimum)
- Simplex fee: 5% ($10 minimum)
Which currencies can I store?
Edge currently supports the following cryptocurrencies:
- Bitcoin Cash
- Binance Chain
How do I add currency to my wallet?
To receive funds into your Edge Wallet you'll need to:
- Login to your wallet.
- Tap the "Request" button.
- Scan the QR code or copy the wallet address provided.
- Use this address or QR code to send funds to your wallet.
If you want to request funds from other people or simply share your wallet address with them, you can select "Copy" to copy the wallet address text and send it out, or tap "Email" to open your email account and then send your address.
How do I make payments with Edge?
To send money from Edge you'll need to:
- Login to your wallet.
- Tap the "Send" button.
- Scan the QR code you want to send funds to or tap the "Address" button and paste the recipient's wallet address.
- Enter the amount you want to send.
- Review the details of your transaction and slide to confirm.
How secure is Edge?
Edge includes a number of security features to help ensure the safety of your funds, including:
- 2-factor authentication. This ensures that only your device can access your wallet account.
- Client-side encryption. All of your private data is encrypted on your phone before it touches Edge's servers. This means Edge does not have access to any of your personal information and allows you to retain full control of your assets.
- Spending limits. Enabling this feature means that you'll need to enter a PIN/password in order to send an amount above a specified limit.
- Auto logout. You're automatically logged out of your account after a set period of time has passed.
- PIN login. You can quickly login to your account using a four-digit PIN.
- Password recovery. In case you ever forget your password, Edge allows you to set up recovery questions so you can still regain access to your account.
Where can I get Edge?
Android users can download Edge directly from the Google Play store or the Edge website. For iPhone users, the app can be downloaded from the iTunes app store.