From just a few months old to 18 years, Australian kids can begin to learn how to manage their money with the ECU Australia Just for Kids account.
ECU Australia Just for Kids account is no longer available for new applications. The information provided and bank account cannot be applied for, however, the information on this page has been kept for the benefit of existing customers and for those who are interested.
If you would like to compare other savings accounts, please go through our comparison page.
What are the features of the ECU Australia Just for Kids Account?
With the Just for Kids account, ECU is offering Australians a unique banking product. If you want to make the most out of preserving a child’s financial future, compare the features it provides with other bank’s accounts that are geared to younger Australians:
- ECU membership. ECU Australia is a customer owned credit union, where you must first obtain membership before you are able to access any of their accounts.
- Monthly account keeping fees. Your account will not be charged with any monthly account keeping fees.
- Monthly transaction limit. You are allowed up to 8 free transactions each month. If you do not use all eight in one month, the leftover will not be added to the next.
- Free transactions. There are certain transactions that will not count towards the monthly limit including any cash or cheque deposits, and internal transfers using the same membership number.
- Linked debit card. This account is linked to a standard debit card, allowing for ATM withdrawals and purchases wherever it is accepted.
- ATM access. Unlimited withdrawals can be made using ECU, Westpac, St.George, BankSA, and Bank of Melbourne ATMs. Using an ATM outside of this network could result in charges to your account from the provider.
- Earned interest. The balance earns interest at a nominal rate.
- Interest payments. Interest is calculated on the balance each day and paid into the account once a month.
- Baby bonus. Sign up a child under one years old and receive a $20 introductory bonus.
- Other access. In addition to ATM withdrawals, the money in the account can be accessed at a branch, online, through Bank@Post, over the phone, with EFTPOS, direct credit and debits and BPAY payments.
- Funds are at-call
- No monthly account keeping fees
- Link to an Access card
- Minimum opening balance applies
How do I apply for the ECU Australia Just for Kids Account?
If you would like to open a Just for Kids Account for your child, you will first have to become a member of the credit union. You can do so by completing an online application form. Before beginning, make sure that you are able to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Minimum age. The account is available for any child under the age of 18, but in order to become a member you have to be at least 18 years of age.
- Residency requirements. There is no limitations on who can qualify for ECU membership so long as you are an Australian resident currently living in Australia at a residential address.
- Depository requirements. To open the Just for Kids requires a minimum $10 deposit. In order to become a member of ECU you will also need to buy a share for $10. You can forfeit that membership at any time and receive your deposit back as a refund.
Once your application for membership has been accepted, you will be prompted on how to continue applying for the Just for Kids account. As you fill out this application, you are going to need information that can be found on the following documentation:
- Tax file number. Providing your tax file number (TFN) or TFN exemption code is not obligatory, but it does help ECU apply the correct rate of withholding tax to any of your earned interest.
- Identification. You will need to be able to provide proof of identity in order to open a banking account with ECU. This can be done using your passport, driver’s licence or Medicare card.
Once your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed and you may be asked to provide additional information. After the account has been opened, details will be sent to you on how it can be accessed and your debit card mailed to your home address.