Top 11 ecotourism resorts and lodges in Australia
Learn a new definition of luxury with camps, treehouses and island retreats that allow you to experience the incredible nature around you without disturbing the precious environment.
You won’t feel bad about your next holiday at one of these eco-friendly resorts that give you the opportunity to see nature up close. And comfort won’t be sacrificed with 5-star luxury accommodation that comes with mouth-watering food and jaw-dropping views.
Each resort below is an exclusive destination where you can learn about the surrounding environment and enjoy your holiday in the rainforest, along the beach or in the bush, knowing that your impact is minimal and conscious efforts are made to help the conservation of wildlife and nature.
4. Jabiru Safari Lodge
Discover the outback in luxurious comfort with activities that get you closer to nature in the Mareeba Tropical Savanna and Wetland Reserve in northern Queensland.
- Income from sustainable tourism goes to the not-for-profit organisation Wildlife Conservancy of Tropical Queensland, which maintains the reserve
- The conservancy is helping to save the Gouldian finch from extinction by reintroducing it back into the environment
- Natural materials and solar energy are used in the safari tent accommodation
Go to Jabiru Safari Lodge website
View coupon codes for Jabiru Safari Lodge
5. The Frames
Experience 5-star luxury accommodation in Renmark, South Australia for a unique romantic retreat with plenty of nature to see and food to try.
- All pools are solar heated and air conditioners have pre-set temperatures
- Rainwater is collected and a bio sewage system uses recycled water for garden irrigation
- Local and eco-friendly supplies are used whenever possible
- Guests are provided with electric bicycles to explore the area
Go to The Frames website
View coupon codes for The Frames
6. Zoofari Lodge
Experience a safari at home in Dubbo, New South Wales at the Taronga Western Plains Zoo, where animals come straight to the doorstep of your African-style lodge.
- Taronga Environmental Sustainability program uses solar panels to conserve energy, reuses water to flush toilets, manages waste and much more
- On-site research is undertaken to improve methods of conservation for animals, plants and more
- Taronga supports field observations around the world, has breeding programs both locally and internationally, has a wildlife hospital and cares for animal welfare on-site
Go to Zoofari Lodge website
View coupon codes for Zoofari Lodge
7. Freycinet Lodge
Enjoy a private cabin in Freycinet National Park, Tasmania that overlooks the picturesque waters of Great Oyster Bay.
- Cabins are designed to fit naturally into the forest setting and not disturb wildlife
- Guests are encouraged to follow a “leave no trace” philosophy
- Organised tours educate visitors on the importance of the native ecosystem in the national park
- Audits are performed regularly to learn if practices can be further improved
Go to Freycinet Lodge website
View coupon codes for Freycinet Lodge
8. Heron Island Resort
You can’t get accommodation any closer to the Great Barrier Reef than Heron Island Resort: located on a natural coral cay, you’re on one of the wonders of the world.
- The island has its own power generator, water production and wastewater treatment, which is also used for the Heron Island Research Station and Queensland Parks and Wildlife Ranger Station
- Heron Island is a protected habitat for a number of wildlife species
- Strict guidelines are in place to not disrupt the nesting of turtles as Heron Island is a significant breeding ground
Go to Heron Island Resort website
View coupon codes for Heron Island Resort
9. Bamurru Plains
Exclusive “wild bush luxury” is available at Bamurru Plains, allowing you to see and hear all the wildlife around you from one of ten safari-style bungalows.
- 75% of the camp’s energy comes from solar panels, including water heating
- Bore water is filtered and stored in reusable bottles for camp purposes
- The camp design has minimal impact on the surrounding environment
- Products such as linen, soaps and laundry detergent are chemical- and bleach-free, and linen is hung to dry naturally
Go to Bamurru Plains website
View coupon codes for Bamurru Plains
11. Sal Salis Ningaloo Reef
This beachside safari camp is located in Cape Range National Park, where views of both beach and bush make for a true Australian wildlife experience.
- The camp was designed to have minimal impact on the natural environment, with colours that blend in and boardwalks to protect the flora and fauna
- Tents face the ocean so the coastal breeze acts as a natural cooler, while electricity is almost 100% generated from solar panels and hot water is heated by gas
- Composting toilets are used and waste is taken to Exmouth for responsible disposal
- Linen and guest amenities are organic and chemical-free
- 5% of the business’s income is donated to the Department of Parks and Wildlife for conservation causes across Western Australia
Go to Sal Salis Ningaloo Reef website
View coupon codes for Sal Salis Ningaloo Reef
Feature image: The Frames
Book your ecotourism resort stay
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes